IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Metro Inn, Walsall

Options
Hi Everyone. I hope you can help me. This story is a little long-winded. I'll try to be clear as I can.

On 08/11/2017 I received a letter from ZZPS about an alleged parking offence (PCN), which took place on 25/07/2017. ZZPS is obviously the debt collection company. I have not received any other correspondence before this letter, no NTK.

I responded to them by email, as the vehicle in question was registered at the wrong address.

Your Client: Civil Enforcement Ltd
PCN: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vehicle: xxxxxxxxxxx
Issue Date: 27/07/2017
Dear Sir/Madam,

I refer to your Parking Charge Notice (“PCN”) Ref. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I confirm that at the time of this alleged incident, I was the vehicle’s keeper for the purpose of the corresponding definition under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (“POFA 2012”).

I Must also inform you that you must write to me at a different address; I no longer live at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Further correspondence should be sent to:-
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Further:
I received no Notice to Keeper at all and have no information about the issue.
I require ZZPS to supply all photos and copies of all correspondence to me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shortly after this email, I received a letter stating that their computer records have now been updated and further correspondence will be sent to the correct address. They said that their client has the photos and I would not be getting any copies unless of litigation .

This matter has now been passed along to QDR solicitors (Quantum Debt Recovery??) who has raised the outstanding balance and is threatening a CCJ.

I am wondering how to respond to this matter. Can anyone advise me? I have read the MSE newbies thread, but template letters advise what to do before a solicitor gets involved. I wondered about using this template:

Dear {name of IPC member - only IPC members for this version!!!}

Re PCN number:

I am the keeper of the vehicle and am aware of your purported 'parking charge'. The driver will not be identified. I require the following information so that I can make an informed decision:

1. Who is the party that contracted with your company and are they the landowner?
2. Is your charge based on damages for breach of contract? Answer yes or no.
3. Please provide photos of the signs that you say were on site, which you contend formed a contract with the driver.
4. Please provide all photographs taken of this vehicle.
5. Please provide proof that the timing of any camera or timer used was synchronised with all other cameras and/or systems & machines.

Do not send debt collector letters and do not add any costs, which would be a thinly-veiled attempt at 'double recovery'. I will not respond to debt collectors and to involve a third party would be a failure to mitigate your costs as well as deliberate and knowing misuse of my data.

Should you obtain the registered keeper's data from the DVLA without reasonable cause (e.g. if you do not fully comply with the IPC Code of Practice in terms of signage at this site, as seems likely based on my research) please take this as formal notice that I reserve the right to sue your company and the landowner/principal, for a sum not less than £250 for any Data Protection Act breach. Your aggressive business practice and unwarranted threat of court for the ordinary matter of a driver using my car without causing any obstruction nor offence, has caused significant distress to me. I do not give you consent to process data relating to me or this vehicle.

I deny liability for any sum at all and you must consider this letter a Section 10 Notice under the DPA. You are required to respond within 21 days. I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 January 2018 at 11:02PM
    Options
    CEL is a BPA member

just read post #4 of the NEWBIES sticky thread and IGNORE zzps

if QDR send you a formal LBC , then read post#2 and send an LBC rebuttal by adapting the daniel san rebuttal , especially pointing out you require full details under the new 01 oct 2017 PaP protocols

here is another "QDR" debt collector thread, S.S.D.D.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5762137

and their threats of a CCJ are baseless

if it goes to court and you lose , pay up , IN FULL , within 1 month , the sooner the better , that way there is no CCJ and no impact on your credit rating

it is ignoring a court judgment that begets you a CCJ

also , complain to METRO INN and demand a cancellation
  • celfighter
    celfighter Posts: 83 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 4:38PM
    Options
    Thank you So much! Clear and easy to understand advice. I'll IGNORE "QDR Solicitors" and let you know what happens!

best Wishes
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No, you ignoreQDR UNLESS they send a lba through.
  • celfighter
    Options
    Yes that's what I understood. Ignore QDR unless a LBA is sent. Thank you.
  • celfighter
    Options
    QDR sent me a letter. Would this be interpreted as a "letter before action? (LBA)"
    We have been instructed by ZZPS Limited who are acting on behalf of Civil Enforcement Limited in connection with the recovery of the debt, which has been incurred following the failure to repay the Parking Charge Notice, and we require you to make payment in full within the next 14 days.

Failure to make payment in full or contact us to discuss repayment of this debt may result in us recommending to iur client that we pass the matter over to our litigation department. This may mean they will look to obtain a County Court Judgment (*spelling wrong*) .

The possible impacts of having a CCJ registered agaist you are:
    blah blah blah.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, it's not an LBA. ZZPS can't take you to court and they can't instruct anyone else to take you to court.
    It's telling you they might pass this to someone who might send you a LBA.

Continue to ignore.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • celfighter
    Options
    Thanks, Fruit Cake!!
  • celfighter
    celfighter Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone! Well I am really annoyed now. Please tell me what to do!

I just found out that I have a CCJ issued to me for the alleged parking fine for £349. This was dated April 2018 and was sent to my old address. I found out by accident.

Remember - I had no NTK in the first instance so the fine was raised from £100 to £200 !!
    I contacted this civil enforcement company with your standard reply (as outlined above) and told them not to contact my parents. The were then corresponding directly to me at my address BUT the CCJ was sent to my old address (and not my parents address either!)

To contest this in court it will cost several hundred pounds and if I lose...

What shoukd I do? I am on holiday with my little girl and I can't believe this is happening to me. Scum bags!

Thank you for reading all this.

Thanks and regards
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Read the section on set aside here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

There is a guide on obtaining a set aside
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you receive anything at your new address from CEL after notifying ZZPS of your new address?

With hindsight, it would've been better if you had notified CEL of your address change, rather than the benign ZZPS, but that's history now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure