Halifax Offer £135 to switch

Options

Comments

• Willowtree222
    Options
    I switched my normal current account to a reward account on Friday, but haven't received the £50 yet. I know it is very early days but hoping it will be in next week. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are proper banks, unlike Revolut, Monese, etc. They also have a small buffer, I think £10, yet they still don't perform the hard search when you're applying for their accounts. Post Office Money, for example, also don't do hard search unless you apply for an overdraft. At least that's what they've told me.

This isn't argument about what constitutes a proper bank. It is an argument about whether applying for a current account causes a hard search on your credit record.

It is normal for an application for a current account to leave a hard search on your credit record.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Lynno77
    Lynno77 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 11 November 2018 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Hi All,

I've just switched to NatWest from Halifax, via Quidco. They also offer £40 cashback for switching, as part of their Black Friday event. NatWest offer £125 at the moment. Thought it was worth a mention for anyone wanting to switch. So £165 in total for switching, with £40 coming from Quidco.

Lynno
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I tried applying for the Halifax reward account last week, the application timed out at the final stage, page just left hanging. I tried again this week, same again. In both cases I started over straight after, after getting so far in the re applying process, I get "there is already an application in for this name, please try again in 30 days" or words to that effect.

Spoke to someone on chat on the website, they gave me a link to the application page, guess what it's the same page (I told them so) same thing happened didn't get anywhere.

Anyone else had problems like this? I'm about to give up on this bank and look elsewhere, never had such problems with any bank like this, and I've opened a few over the last 2 years.

BTW they do a soft credit check, I asked them. So far I've had no communication via text, email about my application being accepted or refused, it's been around 5 days since I first applied.
  • SlovakianGuy
    Options
    I had similar problem with Aviva. I couldn't log into my account because something went wrong during the registration and I couldn't do it again because my email address was already registered. They sent me an email with a link that was supposed to reset my password after I click on it. But nothing happened when I clicked, except the whole page went blank. After few more attempts with the same result (in different browsers) I eventually asked them to delete my whole profile and let me re-register. They did so, I registered again and now it works fine. :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Question on the interpretation of the terms and conditions of the Halifax £135 switch offer;

The terms and conditions for the £85 part of the offer state:-

"To qualify for the additional payment of £85 in the first 6 calendar months from your switch date you must:

Have successfully met all requirements above and been paid the £50 switching offer.
    Fund your switched account with at least £1,500 each calendar month.
    Use your switched account’s debit card to pay for something (either contactless, chip and pin or online)
    Register for paper-free correspondence and statements."

If the switch date is 27 November, does this mean that you must fund the account with £1500 by the end of November (and then each of the calendar months December to April)? Or is the first calendar month which requires funding December (and then January to May)? It seems that if you don't fund in the first calendar month which requires funding (and then in each of the following 5 calendar months) you lose out on the £85, so the correct interpretation of this condition is important.
  • MisterMotivated
    Options
    I wondered about this too, so I'm working on the assumption that November would be considered the first of the six months. Do you have savings that you could transfer in then back out to meet the funding requirements?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I wondered about this too, so I'm working on the assumption that November would be considered the first of the six months. Do you have savings that you could transfer in then back out to meet the funding requirements?

Yes I do. It's just that, with my switch date being 27 November, I will only have a small window of opportunity to move the money before the end of the month. Although my account is open, I think (not sure) that the deposit cannot be made in advance of the switch date, otherwise it won't count. I will need to remember to move the money between 28th and 30th of this month.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    Yes I do. It's just that, with my switch date being 27 November, I will only have a small window of opportunity to move the money before the end of the month. Although my account is open, I think (not sure) that the deposit cannot be made in advance of the switch date, otherwise it won't count. I will need to remember to move the money between 28th and 30th of this month.

Another option could be to deposit £1500 into the account being switched, and let that transfer across as a part of the switch process?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Another option could be to deposit £1500 into the account being switched, and let that transfer across as a part of the switch process?

I would not assume that any funds in the switched account would qualify.

From the incentive T&Cs - my bold

"To qualify for the £50 part of the switching offer you must use the ‘Current Account Switch Service’ and meet the following conditions:

Switch into an open new or existing Reward Current Account, Ultimate Reward Current Account (£17 monthly maintaining the account fee), or an existing Current Account (no longer on sale).
    Transfer your payment arrangements from your old bank account to us and close the old account.

To qualify for the additional payment of £85 in the first 6 calendar months from your switch date you must:

Have successfully met all requirements above and been paid the £50 switching offer.
    Fund your switched account with at least £1,500 each calendar month.
    Use your switched account’s debit card to pay for something (either contactless, chip and pin or online)
    Register for paper-free correspondence and statements."

I wouldn't risk it;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family