Renew BT Broadband

Options
Hi,

I have a special offer on my broadband where I pay £31 for 12 months and then this increases to £50 after the 12 months has ended. This is due to end soon and an advert appeared on my account stating “your broadband discount if ending soon. Renew now to pay the same price as you do now”. So I clicked and can renew and still pay the same price but it will be an 18 month contract.

However, when going through the ordering process this message came up at the end “as part of this order, your broadband package will be recontracted for a minimum term of 18 months. If you have a special offer on your broadband, this special offer will carry on until it’s original end date. After that, you will pay your broadband package’s standard price for the rest of your new minimum term.”

Does this mean after my existing contract ends and my new one starts I’m going to be paying the full price of £50 or the special offer price of £30?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• JBancroft
    Options
    Hi,I'm in the same position agreeing to no price increase for the remainder of my contract, but I missed the small print saying my monthly cost would then go up by £16pm for the 12 months after my original contract ended....can they do this????
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 April 2018 at 12:22PM
    Options
    12 month contract ends then you are free to move or pay the new monthly no contract charge .
    Its a 12 month fixed price that lasts 12 months .Its a price for that twelve months not for months 13 14 etc .
    You need to re contract to get a discounted price .

My current contract is for 12 months at circa £35 pm . Month 13 at end of contract it rises to circa £50 pm no contract 30 days notice required .
    At near the end of the 12 months i either phone my ISP and negotiate a new contract or move ISP .
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    12 month contract ends then you are free to move or pay the new monthly no contract charge .
    Its a 12 month fixed price that lasts 12 months .Its a price for that twelve months not for months 13 14 etc .
    You need to re contract to get a discounted price .

My current contract is for 12 months at circa £35 pm . Month 13 at end of contract it rises to circa £50 pm no contract 30 days notice required .
    At near the end of the 12 months i either phone my ISP and negotiate a new contract or move ISP .

That is the only way, not to get ripped off. I recently did this with Supanet, who at the end of the contract, (with no notice) raised my ADSL2 from £4 - to £17 (had my line rental with BT) so I moved the ADSL2 to BT, at £5 a month (unlimited use) - Supanet had a disconnection charge of £35, but BT credited me that, as part of the moving deal. I have an 18 month contract with BT.
    It has been a bit of a bind, changing a lot of email addresses from a Supanet one - they used that as a threat whilst I was trying to get a better deal out of them. But I have future proofed that, by going to a separate email (free) provider .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HWW wrote: »
    It has been a bit of a bind, changing a lot of email addresses from a Supanet one - they used that as a threat whilst I was trying to get a better deal out of them. But I have future proofed that, by going to a separate email (free) provider .

Good advice, no one should ever use the supplied email address (Sky, Virgin, BT or whoever)
  • fifthofwhisky
    Options
    In a similar situation in that I had a discount for a 12 month contract which is about to revert to the regular price minus the discount. Got hit with a price increase (January) during the term. I missed an e-mail with an offer to extend the contract for 18 months at the discounted price. Called BT to ask about the options and was offered another 12 months at the original discount. This will most likely be subject to a price increase again in January. Its a fibre service and generally I'm happy with it. Has anyone spoke to cancellations/retention and had any luck getting a better deal? My next best option to to revert to PN (my previous supplier) for a lower price than BT's discounted with the same 12 month contract.
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 3:51PM
    Options
    fwiw, a friend signed up for an Infinity 1 deal last year for 12 months, renewed their contract last weekend. The best the Loyalty Team would offer was £26.99 pcm (edit: 12 months) after 30 minutes of haggling. They wouldn't match cheaper offers from Vodafone or Virgin.

I also saw this posted the other day where some ppl were offered a great deal only after placing an order with another supplier:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bt-broadband-76mbps-12-month-contract-retention-deal-12-months-at-2299-term-27588-2937614

quotes:
    52mb Infinity 1 for £22.99
    76mb for £24.99 - unclear if this is for Infinity 1 users who were upgraded to 76mb last November, and/or for Infinity 2 users.
  • fifthofwhisky
    fifthofwhisky Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that. I had the speed increase which was a slight bump, albeit welcome, because we are are fair distance from the facilities.

Do you know if it was £26.99 for a 12 or 18 month contract? I guess it will still be subject to the annual price increase which makes me think I might as well go back to PN (£24.99).
  • bill888
    bill888 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 3:01PM
    Options
    It was £26.99 for 12 months.

It probably will be subjected to a price rise at end of the year. I guess the options would be to either quit BT without paying any early termination fees, or renegotiate the contract.
  • xssc32x
    xssc32x Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    Was in same position and called bt on Friday they offered exactly the same as I have know but with £2 per month increase, I said I didn’t want to pay any more even if it was £2 and said I will have to look elsewhere. He came back and said he could match same package/price that I have been on for past 12months. As below I get infinity 1 (broadband/phone line) and max tv bundle for 43.99. Is this similar to what others are paying for this package as I a, in 14days cool off period so could potentially haggle if needs be?

Ongoing charges for this order

Max £20.00

Max discount for 12 months -£7.00

Broadband and Calls £49.99

Special offer discount -£19.00
    Your special offer discount lasts for 12 months

Total ongoing charges for this order £43.99

Cheers
    Si
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories