Can I get a credit card under my parents address

Options
My parents have recently discovered that I have taken out a credit card and due to the fact that I still live with them it’s at their address (I’m 20 btw)

They seem to have a massive issue with this as they believe that if I can’t pay my debts then they run the risk of the address being blacklisted. I’ve looked into this and it seems like that’s not the case at all and hasn’t been for years, debt is linked to the individual not the address and I don’t have any financial connections to them (joint loans or accounts etc)

Their argument is that I should have notified them before taking this out and want me to cancel it or are threatening to put in a fraud case against me.

I appreciate I should of told them out of principle but my question is am I legally obliged to do this and if I refuse to cancel the account is there actually anything they can do about it?

Not that it matters too much but the card only has a £200 limit and I’m using it to start building my credit rating

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NathanJ99 wrote: »
    My parents have recently discovered that I have taken out a credit card and due to the fact that I still live with them it’s at their address (I’m 20 btw)

Their argument is that I should have notified them before taking this out and want me to cancel it or are threatening to put in a fraud case against me.

You haven't committed fraud so that won't go anywhere!
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

They seem to have a massive issue with this as they believe that if I can’t pay my debts then they run the risk of the address being blacklisted. I’ve looked into this and it seems like that’s not the case at all and hasn’t been for years, debt is linked to the individual not the address and I don’t have any financial connections to them (joint loans or accounts etc)

I appreciate I should of told them out of principle but my question is am I legally obliged to do this and if I refuse to cancel the account is there actually anything they can do about it?

Not that it matters too much but the card only has a £200 limit and I’m using it to start building my credit rating

Your parents are talking nonsense and/or are insane. Any debts you rack up will be in your name and not linked to the address.

Taking out a "fraud case" against you? On what basis? What does that even mean? Have they always been this nuts?

Whilst you could have told them first you weren't really under any obligation to do so, it's none of their business. They have no legal recourse against you nor means of preventing you from holding a card at the address where you live.

That doesn't mean they couldn't make your life unpleasant in other ways - as I'm sure they've demonstrated in the past (I suspect they've not exactly been model parents up to this point either).
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

What principle would that be?
    You live there, you have no option but to use that address. When I still lived at home I certainly didn't discuss my finances or any product applications with my parents and they wouldn't have expected me to.

Your parents have gone completely over the top.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • NathanJ99
    Options
    I looked into it a lot before doing it and at no point did it say you have to notify the owner of the address before you take one out and and the main argument now is that I should have done it out of principle, I understand that to a certain degree but, I genuinely didn’t think I’ve done anything wrong! Glad that other people can see where I’m coming from
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Addresses can’t be blacklisted.

No fraud has occurred here.

Are you in the ER at their address as well?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I looked into it a lot before doing it and at no point did it say you have to notify the owner of the address before you take one out and and the main argument now is that I should have done it out of principle, I understand that to a certain degree but, I genuinely didn’t think I’ve done anything wrong! Glad that other people can see where I’m coming from

There is no principle here. Their main argument is probably that they've made complete idiots of themselves by spouting obvious nonsense and are trying to make it sound like you've done something wrong in order to save face.

You've done *nothing* wrong here.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given that you actually live at the address you've given, there's not a lot else you could have done on the application. Presumably, if you lived elsewhere they wouldn't be concerned. If so, that would suggest they aren't particularly bothered about you having a credit card or debt problems, they just don't want to be affected by (what they must believe) to be your irresponsibility - that's nice isn't it?

Saying you should have notified them first and asking you to cancel the card actually means they'd have said 'no' if you had notified them.

Regardless of the veracity of their 'blacklisting' concerns, are you likely to stuff up? Do they have reason to believe you are not going to be competent with credit?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Your parents sound like a pair of control freaks. You’re 20, not 2! Do they interfere this much in your life in other aspects too?

How did they even find out - did they open your mail?

Here’s a link for your parents to read:
    https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/location-and-address.html

You are under no obligation to tell them you have applied for a credit card / loan / bank account etc. You are a grown adult.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • NathanJ99
    Options
    [QUOTGiven that you actually live at the address you've given, there's not a lot else you could have done on the application. Presumably, if you lived elsewhere they wouldn't be concerned. If so, that would suggest they aren't particularly bothered about you having a credit card or debt problems, they just don't want to be affected by (what they must believe) to be your irresponsibility - that's nice isn't it?

Saying you should have notified them first and asking you to cancel the card actually means they'd have said 'no' if you had notified them.

Regardless of the veracity of their 'blacklisting' concerns, are you likely to stuff up? Do they have reason to believe you are not going to be competent with credit?E][/QUOTE]

Nope, never missed a payment and historically never been bad with my money
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP time to move out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income