Help me decide on colours!!

Options
I have recently decorated, well I say that but i have just done the feature wall.

This is now dark grey, and I have added some mustard yellow highlights to the room, such as 2 lightshades, and 2 cushions.

In the middle of the feature wall, I will be getting some art as soon as I decide, but this will be a print containing mustard and grey as well.

My dilemma is, I have a double patio window to the left of the wall at a right angle. Currently here I have red curtains which matched the previous colour scheme, but they need to go.

I cannot decide whether to have dark grey blinds, a similar grey to the wall, or to go with mustard vertical blinds.

I am not planning on changing anything for a good few years yet. I have samples, the grey would be cheaper but I would be willing to pay a bit more to be 100% happy with them.

The other walls are magnolia, but in the near future when the kids are on holiday I will be painting them white, so white blinds are out of the question.

What would you do?

Q78pK6ycwI51LwuP1EH1sqYh3YNrEoFIR2SQVfh6Fc176ExPk6hyW6-9AiQUSu_7D7E4YdUS5BATwTskRIjYYhox_XqCPaXOcs2U0uiy58U4GxbNRnQNpxitVlc6MPs23C4befZIjFK6DdkU6doXUKgpFfLg9bRVS3cBB7Xszb-N8dMKeplRzdxSI6CzMSnftcO328m26FLLON1-W2BE1vkezJhhMiVWymjeYV4U3s-sub6-7qILuTo50v8rtxomQXcuzR9oeG3SZzunj5TfmZUkCZa2pDTSpWnU7AQG6ToLoQmrOvGGZsk-zLKec9VkyEiP5XzljmHpe8DgAI-Dde32hlOYpqzZ5ulGmh0iJYEW7CywpzaJdXSoAmXmI1KLhz0dl5wg6011v0Sgr3ihjtyg2_We-JWNJ7EdQ6ntdX8KHKWBd73fKwHCwdb-PUFCYRARIgM0PG4Z0ljXXogCf8-D6zm96HBBqo_YLHyoLEXC3GepuM8bgFexlXjbt-qaSDhH0V1SGtK1Jf1LPMr0qh4HBlD203fJ277rZfo0K_aTRuFxjqVCZ4N49njD4W8P73gXTNNV2qPv38dzTk8HOju5ElJHFbcIzsDShi2Tt8piJjr1xQjKiLov8TNapFY221Vyfq6YOhvCzvkyVYUqIA9h1jDo8KBB=w1238-h696-no

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grey. Just grey. It's so much smarter.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yellow-Grey.jpg

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you, problem is i like both of them but it gives me an idea
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Anthracite is such a great colour because it will go with almost any other colour. It's specified a lot in commercial environments because it will usually compliment changing brands of building occupants over the years.

Needless to say, mustard does not go with most other colours. You'll pay more for something that won't last as long. The grey gives you opportunity to change your mind.

My neighbours vertical blinds must have been up for 12 years already.
  • marcarm
    Options
    I think I have settled on the grey, pretty much for the reasons you have said above. It gives me more scope to change in the future if needed, not that I want to decorate again so soon!
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ugh. Looks like the BatCave. Pick a lighter colour for your walls for heaven's sake.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    keith969 wrote: »
    Ugh. Looks like the BatCave. Pick a lighter colour for your walls for heaven's sake.

Do you live in the OP's house? If you don't, you don't get an opinion, especially not a rude one like that.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
  • sol2017
    sol2017 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dark grey would probably also block light out better to reduce glare on tv screen.

Surprisingly (to myself) I quite like the dark wall but I would definitely need some bright striking art or a mirror on that wall. Just thinking out loud and not having an opinion ;)
  • marcarm
    Options
    I am looking for some art, but the blinds come first. Plenty of art on Etsy in grey/mustard that I really like the look of, which will be framed and hung about the fireplace.

What the picture doesnt show, is that apart from whats there, there is a large extension going off to the left in an L shape, with another massive patio window, and all the other walls are magnolia (soon to be white when the kids are away on holiday), so this one wall is dark grey but the rest is light.

You don't get the glare on the screen when sitting watching it normally, it's just from the angle the pic was taken it shows up.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Do you live in the OP's house? If you don't, you don't get an opinion, especially not a rude one like that.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

OP asked for an opinion, I gave it. Sorry if it offended you.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure