MSE News: Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach'

Options
A data breach at an unidentified online retailer could have led to credit card users having their account details "compromised", MoneySavingExpert has learned. Tesco Bank has already cancelled a number of its customers' cards as a "precautionary measure"....
Read the full story:
'Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach''
OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Markyp68
    Options
    I was advised by text that my Credit Card details could have been compromised as a result of a data breach at an online retailer and that my card was cancelled and would be replaced. The text advised me to call the number on the rear of the card if I had any concerns. I spoke to Tesco Banking and the chap would not tell me which online retailer was responsible. How can they refuse to tell us.....do they not have a duty of care to help us identify potential problems on other cards that we may have used. Besides, if the security system of a company is breached, I would like to know so that I can choose whether or not I deal with them again?
  • hsvqbutr
    hsvqbutr Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Experian credit contacted me today to say that I have had my email address and password sold online. Which in turn meant that some of the online accounts I had linked with the email address have been accessed and messed with.

Have spent most of morning changing passwords for everything attached to that email.....

Not sure if it linked but thought I would give a heads up......
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If anyone has been notified that their card has been compromised and can post details of which online retailers they have used recently. It should be possible to work out by process of elimination which online retailer is implicated.

I have a Tesco credit card but have not received any notification, or had my card cancelled. So I can only conclude I haven't used the online retailer responsible for the breach.
  • Markyp68
    Markyp68 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 5 February 2016 at 7:24PM
    Options
    My online transactions are with an Insurance company, the NUS, THFC and Paypal....and that is it apart from a number of Government sites for payment of toll charges, Road Fund Licence etc
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    I got a call from tesco credit cards 2 weeks ago telling me my card had been cloned so it was being cancelled and replaced - since the points changed in November I have only used it at tesco pay at pump and twice in store
  • MartinT_2
    MartinT_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 February 2016 at 7:31PM
    Options
    My Tesco credit card was used fraudulently just before Xmas. Don't use it much and don't know how it was compromised but one which might match is the Dartford Crossing Toll Charge.

Tesco were very good and removed the fraudulent transaction from my account very quickly after I had informed them, cancelled my card and reissued another one.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If anyone has been notified that their card has been compromised and can post details of which online retailers they have used recently.
    Why recently? Retailers keep card details stored for years that, IMO, should be prohibited as breach will happen sooner or later.
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    I had a dart ford crossing toll on the card that was cloned from March!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Funnily enough, the only time that this has ever happened to me was with a Tesco credit card a few years back. Card had to be replaced, and any continuing payment authorities were stopped. It was up to me to contact the companies involved - Tesco Bank wouldn't do it. Quite a nuisance all round.

Maybe just a coincidence, but it's Tesco again this time.
  • King_Of_Fools
    Options
    I got the notice from Tesco too.

Like others I have hardly used it since October, the only places being Tesco Pay at Pump and the Dartford Toll Charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure