CIFAS marker on my name for first party fraud

Options

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A CIFAS warning on your account is essentially the Financial Kiss of death you'll find anything you apply for that does even a soft credit search will automatically be declined.

Only Barclays can get it removed and you can't deal directly with CIFAS. There also dosent appear to be any sort of appeal or ombudsman oversight for CIFAS or atleast there wasn't when i dealt with them ten years ago

IT should drop off after a year

CIFAS say 6 years.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request
    Cifas ‘first party fraud’ warnings remain in place for six years from the date of submission. Please note Cifas ‘first party fraud’ warnings will not appear on credit reports.
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    I think best will be to Complaint to Barclays first. If Barclays turned down your complaint then you can contact CIFAS and raise a complaint with them.

Barclays will need to provide strong evidence to say why they think CIFAS marker should remain.
  • lord_tyrannus
    Options
    Sparx wrote: »
    No CIFAS markers last 6 years - like everything else in the credit report world.

Use to be one year as the one I had dropped off after that period. That was over ten years ago and was slightly different to the OP in that I'd omitted a previous address from a current account application. Which in the banks eyes was "fraudulent"

Anyway if it does stay on for six years he's pretty screwed
  • BONBONIZER
    Options
    I called their fraud department when it happened to me and you have a right to appeal.

Then I proved there was no fraud its all my money.

check out an article by thisismoney dot co dot uk at the bottom you can contact this is money they would be be interested in your story as the last issue they dealt with was on 17th august 2017 which is recent. The bank had to revert their decision and apologise

Have you had an account closed unfairly?
    you can contact lee . boyce at thisismoney dot co dot uk or google the below string

"
    The mysterious case of Barclays closing down a customer's three accounts after she reported a 'strange' payment she'd received"

hope this helps
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BONBONIZER wrote: »
    I called their fraud department when it happened to me and you have a right to appeal.

Then I proved there was no fraud its all my money.

check out an article by thisismoney dot co dot uk at the bottom you can contact this is money they would be be interested in your story as the last issue they dealt with was on 17th august 2017 which is recent. The bank had to revert their decision and apologise

Have you had an account closed unfairly?
    you can contact lee . boyce at thisismoney dot co dot uk or google the below string

"
    The mysterious case of Barclays closing down a customer's three accounts after she reported a 'strange' payment she'd received"

hope this helps
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-4792672/Barclays-closed-accounts-suspected-fraud.html
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • sheila50
    sheila50 Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2017 at 10:30PM
    Options
    It's all puzzling, why a bank will say you have acted fraudulently and not give you a voice.

whilst you are trying to prove your innocents you can try your local authority to see if they have any Credit Unions in your area. or you can look into Prepayment Cards. I am not sure whether either of these require credit checks or work on the same criteria as banks.

Also you can call the credit agency where the mark has been placed and ask them to put a note of explanation on your account so that anyone checking it will know you are trying to prove your innocence
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Also you can call the credit agency where the mark has been placed and ask them to put a note of explanation on your account so that anyone checking it will know you are trying to prove your innocence
    This is CIFAS, not one of the individual credit agencies. I'm not aware you can make a notice of correction for cifas, you'd have to try and do it with all the credit agencies who may be reporting the cifas markers as part of the data. And I doubt that would help.
    OP - Follow the advice above - and bear in mind that it's possible that they also appear on rental checks (though there are threads debating where this is truly the case); if so you may even have issues with future tenancies as well. It's very unlikely you'll be able to open another bank account, as far as I know all mainstream financial institutions check cifas, as the law requires fraud checks.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • Bambiii6
    Options
    Hi,I’m going through the same thing atm and I just wanted to know if you managed to sort it out after you received your Cifas SARF & do you now have a bank account because I sent mine off yesterday but I’m still panicking

Thanks x
  • societys_child
    Options
    I just wanted to know if you managed to sort it out
    The poster hasn't logged in since last September.
  • AlexFerrari
    Options
    I had a cifas marker on my file for a good 3.5 years wich i didn't know about until i switched bank accounts and i been told they cannot process the switch and hinted cifas,took a SAR out to discover that a refund been made on one of my cards back in 2015 and the original payment was made with a different card,so of course they placed a first party fraud on my name,raised on official complaint with the bank involved and they removed the marker within 15 days,just raise a complaint to Barclays to remove the marker and reply for the account or go elsewhere
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure