E Bay Seller says item Faulty

Options
I have just sold a item on E Bay I did put there was a slight fault with one part of the item the buyer collected the item. They have now filed a request for refund saying that the item is faulty. reading the terms on E Bay I appear to have no comeback. I have dealt with over 120 people and always had 100% satisfaction.
I know the item was ok when collected the site appears to suggest that not only will I have to refund the buyer I will also have to pay carriage back to me, even when the item was collection only due to the size.
Can anyone help can E Bay just take the money back from my Pay Pal account if the buyer asks for it!!

Comments

• GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you mean "buyer" rather than "seller" in your thread title.

Did the buyer pay by PayPal? If so, you're lucky that they are willing to return the item - they could have raised an Item Not Received (INR) claim and you would not have been able to defend it.

It might be worth ringing eBay and explaining that the buyer collected the item and had an opportunity to inspect it before taking it away.
    Philip
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never accept paypal for collection items. They could have collected and then filed an Item Not Received claim as soon as they got home.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am not sure why people are warning you of INR when the issue is a return.....that said.

How did the buyer pay.

If they paid by Paypal, is the case open on Paypal or Ebay?
  • bowlesbargain
    Options
    I am not sure why people are warning you of INR when the issue is a return.....that said.

How did the buyer pay.

If they paid by Paypal, is the case open on Paypal or Ebay?

I sold the item it was collected by a neighbour of the buyer I did say there was slight marks etc the request for refund has come via E Bay the money is in my Pay-Pal account. I feel upset as this is the first time I have had a problem and always had a nice relationship with my buyers and sellers.
  • bowlesbargain
    Options
    I have just sold a item on E Bay I did put there was a slight fault with one part of the item the buyer collected the item. They have now filed a request for refund saying that the item is faulty. reading the terms on E Bay I appear to have no comeback. I have dealt with over 120 people and always had 100% satisfaction.
    I know the item was ok when collected the site appears to suggest that not only will I have to refund the buyer I will also have to pay carriage back to me, even when the item was collection only due to the size.
    Can anyone help can E Bay just take the money back from my Pay Pal account if the buyer asks for it!!

Sorry my Heading was wrong it was Buyer!!
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the fault the same as the fault you pointed out in the description? sorry it's not clear.
    If different - then yes you have to pay for return postage and accept the return. If it turns out to be a veiled Change of mind return, fight it with ebay when you have the item back
    If its one and the same fault you dont have to accept the return
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • messia07
    messia07 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 August 2019 at 11:10AM
    Options
    you could always offer them a part refund. that what i had to do when i sold a vintage toy ( the batteries had leaked inside making the product slightly faulty), buyer was then happy and i didnt loose out on fees, postage etc
  • bowlesbargain
    Options
    messia07 wrote: »
    you could always offer them a part refund. that what i had to do when i sold a vintage toy ( the batteries had leaked inside making the product slightly faulty), buyer was then happy and i didnt loose out on fees, postage etc

Thanks all, I contacted E Bay as buyer refuses to speak to me to tell me what is wrong with the item. If I pay for postage which is half the price of the item then I still need to fight and could lose. So I bit the bullet this morning and gave a full refund and they keep the item.
    I did message them suggested a 50% refund they didn't reply they were waiting for the 8 day period for E Bay to step in.
    Thanks for all who took the trouble to read and reply. Its put me off selling on E Bay as all the protection seems to for the buyer not the seller
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure