With gas boilers potentially being banned in new homes from 2025, should we look at alternatives now

Options

Comments

• mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ....again throwing round ideas but have you considered a biomass boiler as an alternative to a HP?
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    Pumping heat is like pumping water up a hill. The higher the hill the more power it takes to pump the water. Pumping heat, the bigger the temperature difference between where you pump the heat from and where you pump it to, the more power it takes. So an air source heat pump efficiency will vary a lot depending on the outside air temperature. The lower the air temperature, the lower the efficiency yet the higher demand for heat inside the house. In principle an ideal heat pump will always be at least as efficient as direct electric heating (an electric fan heater for example). But in practise some heat is lost from the refrigerant when it is outside the house and the worst-case scenario is that the pipes freeze and the heat pump stops working.

The ground acts like a big thermal store so if you dig down a little you find that the temperature varies less with the seasons than the air temperature.
    Reed
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Would this allow you to more efficiently use an inline direct electric heater to boost the temp above the store temperature which is optimised for heat pump?

Yeah, generally you would be looking at heat pump to do bottom of cylinder and say a 3kw or 6kw element in the top.
    https://www.advanceappliances.co.uk/product/47-electric-combination-boiler-ecb-210/

Something like that, is what I'll be going for.
    I haven't decided if I'm opting for solar thermal for bottom ring, or just dual electric element using solar in summer and e7 overnight in winter.

I believe coastalwatch and possible Mmmmikey have bought this system already.
    The link is for a 210 cylinder, but the company does a range of sizes.
    They are very expensive for a hot water cylinder, but saves any contamination/legionella etc problems
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I don't know how many million families live in flats in UK, but for many of them Heat Pumps(all types) are impractical. Apart from the noise issue how do you mount and access the units on, say, a 20 storey block?
    There are large blocks of flats in the USA and India that have air conditioning units on them. Have seen similar in Spain. They are ugly and presumably expensive to mount and to service, but they are fitted and they work.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    5 showers & 1 bath per day suggests a household of 6 persons & therefore a reasonably large house?

If the above is true, then 32000 kWh doesn't seem unreasonable.

For comparison, 3 of us managed to consume 27910 kWh of gas last year & we're already up to 17000 this year - now with just 2 of us.

Wowza - I simply can't comprehend that level of gas consumption. That's four to five times ours, despite a four bed house (loft conversion) and size for size, heating should go down with higher occupancy, not up. Have you considered closing windows and doors in the winter? ;)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hexane wrote: »
    There are large blocks of flats in the USA and India that have air conditioning units on them. Have seen similar in Spain. They are ugly and presumably expensive to mount and to service, but they are fitted and they work.

I've got a friend who lives in an upstairs flat in terraced row (not quite a block of flats - but I'm getting there).

He has good loft insulation, only the front and back room have a single external wall, and 'underfloor heating' (the flat below him). He has basic leccy heating, and I have suggested a heat pump (small A/C unit), but heating is so little that it makes the economics questionable ..... but I am stressing the environmental gains from the COP. :)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hexane wrote: »

I owned an apartment in a large block the USA with an Air to Air ASHP/air-conditioner. However like virtually every apartment block I have seen in the USA the design called for the units to be mounted on the flat roof.

A less than satisfactory solution is to have them on a balcony.

I stayed for one night in a single storey cheap motel near Boston that had an external unit. It was a disaster, noisy and the internal unit vibrated excessively.

To retro-fit to blocks of flats in UK would be impractical.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Wowza - I simply can't comprehend that level of gas consumption. That's four to five times ours, despite a four bed house (loft conversion) and size for size, heating should go down with higher occupancy, not up. Have you considered closing windows and doors in the winter? ;)
    It's my next project now that electricity import is solved (75% reduction).

Gas consumption is split 9Mwh DHW, 18Mwh CH & I'm targeting a reduction to 20Mwh without any lifestyle changes. I'm hoping a new boiler & Hive thermostatic rad valves will get me there.

DHW is an issue because of the small cylinder size & the need for consecutive showers in the morning. To enable that, I'm running the boiler flow temperature & cylinder temperature considerably higher than is ideal.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, because everyone knows that that date can't be met.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    It's my next project now that electricity import is solved (75% reduction).

Sorry to hear about your divorce, Nick.:rotfl:
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure