Late December holidays

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    We have been to Florid a many times for new year. The weather can be very unpredictable tho, last year it was very hot to start with then temp dropped by over 10 degrees. Still a great place for new year. The carribean is a good bet for weather

Caribbean quite expensive at Christmas .
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    An idea of budget would help.

Week in Madeira leaving 26th December for £700 looks good value when you consider it includes NYE.

"At this time of year, the average temperature for the island ( Madeira) falls as the month develops, dropping from 18°C on December 1st down to 17°C by December 31st. "

It also says that it could be rainy
    Certainly not the wish list of guaranteed sunshine!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went to Florida for Christmas/New Year a few years ago - it was scorching when we arrived but in the second week it was colder than it was in the UK!
    I've got a photo of my (adult) daughter and I on our last day there, she's wearing a warm hoodie with a fluffy lining we'd just bought and a faux fur hat, I'm wearing 2x vest tops, 2 x t-shirts (one short sleeved, one long) a microfleece hoodie and another sweatshirt type hoodie over the top (not a flattering look!)

ETA Have just checked. It was 29 degrees (F) the day we arrived. The day before we came home, 9 degrees! :eek:

Not exactly "scorching on your arrival day" Sure you don't mean Celcius?
  • nirajn123
    Options
    Thanks all. We really want to go to Florida but will hate it if the weather isn't good when we visit. So perhaps consider it for in late in the spring holiday (whenever that happens - 2018 or 19).

Sarah69 - I was talking generally about the base price of holiday which is likely to be room only being quite high and then other bits might add up quickly including all the meals etc. - key issue here being the unknowns (vs. a half board or all inclusive where we won't get a shock), we are also likely to be mobile with the car etc so more shopping than at a smaller resort. A lesson I learned the hard way on a Dubai holiday few years ago. I would rather have such holiday outside of super peak period.

I'll also look at Cape Verde too based on what everyone said - hopefully it is a bit better in terms of weather.

In terms of budget we would have liked to spend about £1500 on a short haul and 3/4K on Florida one.

While I appreciate inputs - any thoughts on my original question? does anyone know from experience if the prices would come down as we get closer to the last 3/4 weeks or it makes sense to just pay current prices (assuming they'll go up).
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 November 2017 at 4:13PM
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Not exactly "scorching on your arrival day" Sure you don't mean Celcius?

Yes, of course, celsius :doh: - have corrected, thanks :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nirajn123 wrote: »
    ...does anyone know from experience if the prices would come down as we get closer to the last 3/4 weeks or it makes sense to just pay current prices (assuming they'll go up).

Can you fly outbound on the 25th Dec and return 31st Dec?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • michele-p
    Options
    I don't know about prices coming down nearer the time, sorry.

Destination wise, we went to Fuerteventura in Feb a few years back. It was "mild" during the day, and quite chilly at night, but the thing I underestemated was the wind. I was so sick of it by the end of the week, and we didn't really enjoy the island anyway!

We've also been to the Gambia is January,now that was HOT 36 every day, quite cheap, but you need vaccinations and malaria pills. If you like to stay by the pool/beach all day it might suit. We ventured out, with a local guide, and while I'm glad we went, wouldn't go back to such a poor country again.

It's a pity Egypt is off the cards still, temperature wise it's fab, diving and snorkelling are world class, and there used to be such good winter deals.

Good luck with your search
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's a pity Egypt is off the cards still, temperature wise it's fab, diving and snorkelling are world class, and there used to be such good winter deals.

But it isn't, you can still go to Hurgurda or Marsa Alam, it's only Sharm that has no flights form the UK.
    We go every year in May/June it does get dark quite early in Dec I think making it cooler but the days will be nice.
    Maybe have a look at 'Historical weather in Dec' of places you fancy.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Singapore and the surrounding area will be guaranteed to be warm.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    "At this time of year, the average temperature for the island ( Madeira) falls as the month develops, dropping from 18°C on December 1st down to 17°C by December 31st. "

It also says that it could be rainy
    Certainly not the wish list of guaranteed sunshine!

That’s the problem with averages. It was mid 20s and wall to wall sunshine when we visited one Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure