AMOMA.COM - anyone used before?

Options
Last week I made a booking through an online hotel booking site called AMOMA.COM, which i found through trivago.

It was for 1 night, 2 rooms in a uk based hotel in june, for me and 5 friends. My booking details and vouchers were sent out immediately and my bank account debited.

Today I rang the hotel just to confirm the booking and they were happy to confirm I was booked in :D........for the 23rd of August!!!:(
and that the day I have booked for through AMOMA is fully booked up.

I rang AMOMA and they said that their supplier pre buys rooms and may not yet have registered my name with the hotel just yet. I can sort of buy this, but then why had i been booked for the 23rd of August if that was the case ? Now it will take them 3 days minimum to confirm with their supplier and get back to me :mad:

Am I being fobbed off here? Has anyone dealt with this company before?

Thanks

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why would a booking agency based in Geneva have better rates than booking direct with the hotel in the UK? Did you call the hotel first and discover they were more expensive. If there is a booking for August then it sounds likely, assuming you wanted 23 June instead that there is no booking for the correct date. The 'we book in bulk' would apply equally for August as it would for June and is therefore complete bunkum. There is I suggest an error in the booking, it may be you it may be them, did you take screen shots and is the voucher correct? If it is, then it sounds like a failure on their part but do check invoice and voucher, many people just notice they arrive and do not examine them until it is too late.
  • N1redrum
    Options
    I booked through the agency because when i checked on the hotel website they were showing no availability.

For example: if i wanted to book 1 room now for the 21st of june there is no availability on the hotel website but there are about 5 third party booking websites (AMOMA, Travel republic, getaroom etc) you can book through with availability.

My details and hotel voucher is for the correctly booked day in june.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's not uncommon for hotels to have no direct availability whereas third party sites will do, for the exact reason of agents having block allocations of rooms.

Also sometimes the agents don't immediately pass on the full reservation details - the rooms are block booked and they may pass on the guests details at a later date.

However the fact the hotel has your details for a different date is curious and suggests something is a miss. You'll have to see what Amoma say when they get back to you. It may be a case so sitting and waiting whilst they contact their supplier etc.

One thought - sometimes the hotel voucher will show somewhere the name of the supplier, is this mentioned? You may be able to google them and get in touch directly with them?
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I booked a Travelodge in London through otel.com based in Istanbul and got the room for about £15 cheaper each night and the rate included breakfast so sometimes companies based sbraod can get better rates - although I am loathe to disagree with Alan Bowen having seen his appearance on Watchdog last week!
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    I have to agree booking sites are sometimes cheaper than booking with the hotel direct
    travelover
  • kubbah
    Options
    I booked a hotel through amoma,
    first it did not accept my card that I have successfully used for other transactions a minute before,
    the website changed my dates and I mistakenly accepted the new date for the hotel reservation without realising it.
    the worst is:

NO CANCELATION POLICY!

They have told me they would try to refund me but they didnt!!
    all lies!

AVOID!
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2015 at 9:16PM
    Options
    I used Amoma last year for a three night hotel stay in Moscow. They were much cheaper than booking with the hotel directly and indeed other booking web sites. Like the OP, I was directed to them via Trivago.

They were fantastic in assisting me with my Russian visa as the National Hotel in Moscow would not provide me with a visa invitation letter because I boooked through a third party.

They provided me with the relevant documentation within a couple of days. Great service and I would have no hesitation in using them again.
    kubbah wrote: »
    I booked a hotel through amoma,
    first it did not accept my card that I have successfully used for other transactions a minute before,
    the website changed my dates and I mistakenly accepted the new date for the hotel reservation without realising it.
    the worst is:

NO CANCELATION POLICY!

They have told me they would try to refund me but they didnt!!
    all lies!

AVOID!

Even if the website 'changed your dates', do you never check the details before pressing the submit button when paying? I certainly do - and that applies for any online purchase I make.

As for your rate being 'non-refundable', did you check before paying that this was the case? Many hotel rates - even when booking directly with hotels, offer cheaper rates that are non-refundable.

Maybe yours was one of them - see below from Amoma's FAQ's.

What is the cancellation policy?

The cancellation policy informs you about the various conditions that will
    apply when you have to cancel a reservation. It depends on the hotel/room. You can find details on the hotel cancellation policy on the payment page. Make sure you check the cancellation policy on AMOMA.com as well as in the confirmationemail and voucher which will be sent to you.
  • PuiPui_J
    Options
    Terrible service, this below email that I've received before 1 day!!! of hotel's date arrival. I have to pay more money to find another hotel for long weekend in Thailand, and broke my kid's heart because they would like to visit the hotel that I've booking at first.

Doe to contractual issues between our supplier and the Novotel Hua Hin Cha Am Beach Resort and Spa in Cha, they are no longer able to honor the booking.

We can suggest availability in the Regent chalet Beach Cha Am hotel -4 stars am at no extra cost. Please find attached the description of the hotel.

regent-chaam
    The Cha-am city center is just seven km away, while Hua-Hin is a 20 minute drive from the resort. In addition to the water sports, guests can spend their days playing golf, sightseeing, and shopping. The tour desk on-site can help arrange for activities as well as private transfers. Rooms at the resort are set in a garden in small chalets giving the resort a tropical village feel. Be in two day or two weeks, you are sure to enjoy your time at The Regent Chalet Regent Beach Cha-Am.

If you agree with the alternative suggested please send us an email at customercare@amoma.com or call us at +44 (0) 203 608 8169 so that we can book the room and send you the new voucher to be presented at the hotel.

Please note that we are not holding the room for you and that we cannot guarantee availability. Without an answer on your part we will not make the reservation in any other hotel and we will proceed to refund your credit card with the full amount paid.

For more details you can contact us by phone or by email at customercare@amoma.com specifying your reservation number or your client ID. You will receive a reply by email.

Best regards,
    Lorelai Riera
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My wife booked a hotel in Budapest via Amoma for our recent trip - she wanted to surprise me with the hotel. Presumably Amoma had the cheapest rate.

I'd forgotten she was doing this, and when I spotted the unfamiliar name while checking our joint bank account I googled it. I read lots of stories of booking errors, changed bookings etc so I suggested she call the hotel to make sure the booking had been made. She did, and the hotel confirmed it. When we arrived at the hotel there were no issues with the booking.

So they can be fine, but there still seem to be quite a few stories of people having their bookings messed around.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Yinster
    Yinster Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was hesitating before booking with them for an one night stay at a Premier Inn but had no problems with checking in at all.

Was sent an email with our voucher which we had to present when checking in. I did notice on the voucher how much they were paying for the room so worked out their profit from us. So I am guessing they bulk buy rooms at hotels to get them at a heavily discount and then try to sell them off for a profit.

Would I use them again. Probably if they are the cheapest again and if the hotel won't match their price. But then I double check everything when I get the email confirmations

A different story. I went to another hotel and stated how cheaper Amoma was compared to their price for that night. Not only did they price match but they said they discount it further thus saving me another £40.
    Wins in 2015

Kettle Chips, Cambridge Satchel Bag, Tixs to Sound Of Music UK Tour, Name on a bench, Hotel Chocolat Eggs, Cuddly Dog, Stabilo pens, Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LG G Flex 2 phone, Gramofon, Lunch Meal For Two at La Tasca, Lunch For Two at Handmade Burger Company, £30 Gourmet Burger Kitchen Voucher, Canon Ixus Camera
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure