Flight to NZ

Options
2»

Comments

• ljbnotts
    ljbnotts Posts: 608 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm 27 and female too. I booked my flights with Trailfinders and they found me the best price. I would recommend them.

I flew to Auckland direct (well with a refuel in LA) a few Christmas's ago. I really wouldn't recommend it. I have flown on lots of 12 hour plus journeys (including Sydney)and thought that it would prepare me. No way! I would never do it again. Especially through America. The hassle was crazy. We had to fill out customs forms, immigration forms etc for an hour transit in the gate lounge. To put it in perspective i left my house at 4AM on the Thursday and arrived in Auckland at 1PM on Saturday!
    I would advise going through Asia. As the transit process is much quicker and easier, plus i think its a slightly shorter flight time.
    I flew Air New Zealand and they are a good airline in terms of food, legroom etc but no more so than other well know airlines.

I flew Royal Brunei last year and they are an OK airline. No alcohol but i don't drink on flights anyway! Bander Seri Bagawan is a small airport and if this is the option you choose i would advise getting a transit tour around the city which the airline will offer or getting a hotel room to relax in.

Don't worry about it being a Muslim country as long as you are a respectful you will be fine. (for example not showing lots of flesh etc) I always carry a pashmina with me to cover my arms up as it makes me feel better standing in the smoking rooms full of men!

Have a fab trip and try to book your flight soon as they get booked up really early. When i flew I booked in March and my flight dates were 15th December until 5th January.

Also I would recommend joining the airlines frequent flyer programe. (even though it s only 2 flights) I found that as a single traveler and a member they put me in better seats (emergency exit row) I joined the Singapore airlines (part of star alliance) and when i flew to Auckland my seats were better. (although that is just my opinion!)
    Hope that helps!
  • flutterbyuk25
    Options
    Wow thanks ljbnotts - lots of good info in your post.

At the moment I think Emirates are looking as the best option - only a short 2-3hr stop in Dubai between flights.

But I'm waiting for some companies to come back to me with quotes. I've found out that through my employer I get 10% off flights with certain airlines but not sure which ones yet! I have fired off an email to find out.

If no luck there then I'm gonna try book through Quidco to get 1-2% cashback depending on website, and also use my Tesco CC to pay so I get some Clubcard points!

I have already saved up the money for the flight so just need to save my spending money now.

I'll post back when I've booked.

Thanks again all

x
    x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ljbnotts wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 27 and female too. I booked my flights with Trailfinders and they found me the best price. I would recommend them.

I flew to Auckland direct (well with a refuel in LA) a few Christmas's ago. I really wouldn't recommend it. I have flown on lots of 12 hour plus journeys (including Sydney)and thought that it would prepare me. No way! I would never do it again. Especially through America. The hassle was crazy. We had to fill out customs forms, immigration forms etc for an hour transit in the gate lounge. To put it in perspective i left my house at 4AM on the Thursday and arrived in Auckland at 1PM on Saturday!
    I would advise going through Asia. As the transit process is much quicker and easier, plus i think its a slightly shorter flight time.
    I flew Air New Zealand and they are a good airline in terms of food, legroom etc but no more so than other well know airlines.

I flew Royal Brunei last year and they are an OK airline. No alcohol but i don't drink on flights anyway! Bander Seri Bagawan is a small airport and if this is the option you choose i would advise getting a transit tour around the city which the airline will offer or getting a hotel room to relax in.

Don't worry about it being a Muslim country as long as you are a respectful you will be fine. (for example not showing lots of flesh etc) I always carry a pashmina with me to cover my arms up as it makes me feel better standing in the smoking rooms full of men!

Have a fab trip and try to book your flight soon as they get booked up really early. When i flew I booked in March and my flight dates were 15th December until 5th January.

Also I would recommend joining the airlines frequent flyer programe. (even though it s only 2 flights) I found that as a single traveler and a member they put me in better seats (emergency exit row) I joined the Singapore airlines (part of star alliance) and when i flew to Auckland my seats were better. (although that is just my opinion!)
    Hope that helps!

A belated post in response to this helpful information.

I too am travelling with Singapore Airlines to Auckland and note that you recommended joining their frequent flyer programme. I've already booked flights - Do you know if I can still join? Presumably you mean the Krisflyer programme.

Don't the benefits occur after the flight is made (ie miles accumulated)? Sorry if I'm being dense!
    Thanks
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport