Switching energy supplier query

Options
Hi, I'm new to MSE and the forums - and paying bills (sort of!). I've split with my partner who had all the bills in his name for the past 20 years and we kept separate bank accounts. He has paid / will pay the bills up to 31 Jan, after which I will take over. This is where I need some guidance. I came to MSE in search of a good dual fual energy supplier, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it, as I'm not the current bill payer. I looked at making the switch, but I'm not sure how to delay the switch so that it's effective from 1st February 2020. Do I just wait until 1st February to arrange the switch, or is there a way to do it now and make it effective from 1st February, so that I can sit back, knowing that I've taken care of it? Any help / tips greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try asking a mod to re-post it in the correct forum - this is for Other Fuels.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You can't select the date for the change.

It'll take a few days for the switch to progress and the actual changeover probably 2/3 weeks after you start.

Do you have any idea of what your present annual consumption is?

Use a comparison site and go for the elec and gas separately (dual is not generally the best way) ignore the savings they say and go by the predicted annual cost.

Your selected new supplier drives the change - do not contact your present supplier.

When its all up and running get into the habit of reading your meters at least monthly.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Drumshanbo
    Options
    @Gerry1 I had no idea I was in the wrong forum (no idea how to use these forums yet). Thanks for letting me know though.
  • Drumshanbo
    Options
    @Robin9 - As my ex took care of it all, I'm completely in the dark about most of it save one thing - he has been paying PurePlanet to take care of both gas and electric. They (and all other utilities) are unable to give me any information as my name isn't even on the bills. I've no idea about annual consumption, or what the costs involved are, unfortunately. Thanks very much for the very useful advice about paying each bill separately - and the tip about monthly meter readings.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Drumshanbo wrote: »
    ……………... I've no idea about annual consumption, or what the costs involved are, unfortunately. …………....

No problem - just guess. A "typical" gas heated semi - approx. 10000kwh of gas and 3000kwh of electric. Over the coming months the required DD will probably get adjusted -
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Gerry1
    Options
    Gas prices are allegedly falling, so you might wish to have a variable gas tariff or a fixed one with no exit fee, especially as you do not yet have any consumption figures.

Make sure you submit meter readings monthly and that you understand how direct debits work.

Here's a thread about using Price Comparison Websites.
  • Kitchen_Sink
    Options
    Drumshanbo wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to MSE and the forums - and paying bills (sort of!). I've split with my partner who had all the bills in his name for the past 20 years and we kept separate bank accounts. He has paid / will pay the bills up to 31 Jan, after which I will take over. This is where I need some guidance. I came to MSE in search of a good dual fual energy supplier, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it, as I'm not the current bill payer. I looked at making the switch, but I'm not sure how to delay the switch so that it's effective from 1st February 2020. Do I just wait until 1st February to arrange the switch, or is there a way to do it now and make it effective from 1st February, so that I can sit back, knowing that I've taken care of it? Any help / tips greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Don't attempt to apply to switch supplier until the account is in your name.

You cannot specify the date a switch will actually occur. The odd supplier may allow you to specify your desired date for the switch to occur, but there are no guarantees it will be adhered to.
  • Gerry1
    Options
    The OP has already missed the boat: the 14-day cooling off period extends past 1st February ! wow.gif
  • Mr.Mean
    Options
    Hi, Firstly you won't be able to do a thing until the accounts are in your name, chances are when this happens you'll be on a silly rate with a deemed contract - you need to sort that straight away with your supplier but unless your existing supplier can be the most competitive make sure you don't tie yourself in with any early leaving penalties. When you've done that - then switch through Martin's energy club (Other comparison sites are available) Also do all the comparisons, Know your usage is key to working out best deals. Also don't assume that a dual fuel tariff will give you the best deal. I'm a relatively low user and have found Switching to Green for electricity and Gulf for gas Saves me an extra £40 than the best dual fuel deal which i think at the time was utility.
    It's all a pain in the butt but its worth it in the end. Sign up to the energy club too - It'll send you alerts when your rate is no longer the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure