Symbio won't accept you if you have a smart meter

Options
I've just been switching our energy account, I wanted to switch our electricity to symbio but they refuse you if you have a smart meter !

Comments

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, it's a known fact.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Symbio certainly won't sell you LPG, Heating Oil, Solid and Other Fuels...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr.Mean wrote: »
    I've just been switching our energy account, I wanted to switch our electricity to symbio but they refuse you if you have a smart meter !
    Good for them. The more people and companies that make clear they think smart meters are a con, the better.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Good for them. The more people and companies that make clear they think smart meters are a con, the better.

Symbio are having their arms twisted by OFGEM along with several others energy suppliers to join the DCC so they can support smart meters. If they fail to enrol then they could be banned from taking on new customers or even risk losing their supply licence.

see here https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-orders-nine-energy-suppliers-become-dcc-users
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Mr.Mean
    Options
    Whilst I'm conversant with the reasons for not wanting a smart meter, in practice you'll end up with one as soon as you have an issue with your old meter as happened to us.
    I still don't understand their argument though, they don't have to support the meter for it to be used to record energy usage. I don't see it as a legitimate reason to refuse you as a customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure