PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help!! Landlord Estate Agents Commission fees

Options
Hi all,

I am in desperate need of advice.
My husband and I are new landlords and we used a well known high street estate agent to source tenants and rent out the house for a rather sizable commission fee.

We did this for 3 eye watering years of the contract and we're jumping up and down when we came to the end of the agreement. Our tenants agreed to renew directly with us so as to remove the rather poor service of the agents. The agents have cottoned on to this and are saying that the contract states that the commission is payable to them for the entire time the tenants remain in the property and this includes any extension or renewal and are now demanding payment.
Does this sound right to anyone?

Comments

• newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shari123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My husband and I are new landlords and we used a well known high street estate agent to source tenants and rent out the house for a rather sizable commission fee.

We did this for 3 eye watering years of the contract and we're jumping up and down when we came to the end of the agreement. Our tenants agreed to renew directly with us so as to remove the rather poor service of the agents. The agents have cottoned on to this and are saying that the contract states that the commission is payable to them for the entire time the tenants remain in the property and this includes any extension or renewal and are now demanding payment.

no you can sack you agent at any time. The contracts are normally 1 year ones but you can normally move at any time

i am a landlord of 3 properties and took my properties off a agent for poor service
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

What does the contract you agreed to say? You are in the best position to answer your question as you are the only one who can see the terms.
  • shari123
    shari123 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    These are the terms we are not so sure about:

In the event that xxxxxxxintroduces a Tenant who enters into occupation of the Property, the Commission shall become payable to us for the entire duration of the Tenant!!!8217;s occupation under the Tenancy.

- The Commission is calculated as a percentage of the rent for the entire period during which a Tenant remains in occupation of the Property including an initial term or any extension or renewal of each Tenancy. For your convenience we agree to accept payment in equal monthly amounts throughout the duration of each Tenants occupation. However, in the event that your Tenant leaves the Property prior to the end of the contracted fixed term, the full balance of fees, for the remaining term, will become payable immediately.
  • shari123
    Options
    That's very helpful thanks
  • shari123
    Options
    @newbie 1980 thanks for you advice

@mije1983 if I didn't need the advice, I wouldn't be asking for ADVICE on the thread. Iam in the best position to answer my question , what????
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Hi.

I think answer to your question lies in this -
    In the event that xxxxxxxintroduces a Tenant who enters into occupation of the Property, the Commission shall become payable to us for the entire duration of the Tenant!!!8217;s occupation under the Tenancy.
  • mije1983
    edited 12 July 2018 at 9:38PM
    Options
    Iam in the best position to answer my question , what????

I didn't say you didn't need advice, but from the information you posted originally, you were in the best position to answer it. Because of all the people on the forum, YOU are (were) the only one who knows what the contract says about it. We don't (didn't) know what you agreed or negotiated with the LA before you signed with them. Not all contracts are the same, so before you made your 2nd post it was impossible to answer.

However, now you have posted the clause, unfortunately it seems on the face of it that you do owe the LA. So now you have to make a decision as to whether it is better to keep presumably good tenants in situ, or to get rid of them and get new ones in that won't make you subject to this clause.

It's no different to an EA introducing a buyer to a property, then you sack the EA and go with another one, but the orginal buyer ends up purchasing the house. You'd probably owe EA1 the commission (and possibly EA2 depending on your contract).
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These are the terms we are not so sure about:

- The Commission is calculated as a percentage of the rent for the entire period during which a Tenant remains in occupation of the Property including an initial term or any extension or renewal of each Tenancy. For your convenience we agree to accept payment in equal monthly amounts throughout the duration of each Tenants occupation. However, in the event that your Tenant leaves the Property prior to the end of the contracted fixed term, the full balance of fees, for the remaining term, will become payable immediately.
    If this is the only contract clause that deals with the matter you are fine.

This only means you have to pay them fee for the entire duration of the tenancy even if the tenant leaves.

Since you will be signing a new tenancy agreement with different wording, one that is not using their services. It won't be a renewal or extension, so no fee payable to the EA.

They are likely to try and badger you to pay, just call their bluff and refuse.

Also see if you have some sort of an agreement with the agency that might need terminating with a notice or the like.
  • mije1983
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    It won't be a renewal or extension, so no fee payable to the EA.

Depends if they have already renewed. It's not clear either way from the first post.
    Our tenants agreed to renew directly with us
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    payable to us for the entire duration of the Tenant!!!8217;s occupation under the Tenancy.

Perhaps terminate the tenancy, then go onto rolling would do it? Or a new tenancy with (slightly) different terms?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport