Working with Carers Allowance and Tax Credits

HI All

First post - I hope someone can advise me on this one.

Im getting carers allowance for my child whose 16 and in college. I want to work and know the maximum is £123 per week on carers (equals 15 hours at nmw). But I also get working tax credits as being self employed and then the child tax credits on top as full time education.

The rules for working tc are over 16 hours per week. My question is can I be working part time and still be self employed for the purposes of tax credits ?

Comments

• Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    ohdrar wrote: »
    HI All

First post - I hope someone can advise me on this one.

Im getting carers allowance for my child whose 16 and in college. I want to work and know the maximum is £123 per week on carers (equals 15 hours at nmw). But I also get working tax credits as being self employed and then the child tax credits on top as full time education.

The rules for working tc are over 16 hours per week. My question is can I be working part time and still be self employed for the purposes of tax credits ?

So what is your self-employed work? How many hours do you do?? Will you continue that work when you start the other work?
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Income from the self employment would also count towards the Carers Allowance income amount.

UC may work better for you, as you don't need to claim carers to ge the carers premium and there is no earnings cut of as such, other than the normal taper and earnings disregard you get whilst on UC.

Try a benefits calculator and do a check. It may not be better, hence why I suggest a check.
  • ohdrar
    ohdrar Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    So what is your self-employed work? How many hours do you do?? Will you continue that work when you start the other work?

Im a cleaner for holiday cottage, the hours of work vary - Im open to stopping this work and having the job instead or if I can keep both I will.
  • Icequeen99
    ohdrar wrote: »
    Im a cleaner for holiday cottage, the hours of work vary - Im open to stopping this work and having the job instead or if I can keep both I will.

But if you're already doing 16 hours a week as a cleaner (assuming you are getting more than NMW per hour - even if self-employed) how are you managing to claim Carer's Allowance. They must already be taking into account your earnings.

IQ
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you mean can you be employed for say 10 hours and self employed for 6 hours and still get Working Tax Credit for working over 16 hours?

Then yes.

Doubt very much that UC would give more money.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    bigbill wrote: »
    Doubt very much that UC would give more money.
    I think tomtom is suggesting OP look at UC because OP appears to be at risk of taking themselves out of eligibility for CA by going over the earnings threshold whereas UC will include the carer element in the maximum entitlement regardless of earnings. However the carer element is worth less than CA. DWP are carryout checks on CA entitlement and some people are being asked to repay thousands of pounds because they have gone over the earnings threshold.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Icequeen99
    calcotti wrote: »
    I think tomtom is suggesting OP look at UC because OP appears to be at risk of taking themselves out of eligibility for CA by going over the earnings threshold whereas UC will include the carer element in the maximum entitlement regardless of earnings. However the carer element is worth less than CA. DWP are carryout checks on CA entitlement and some people are being asked to repay thousands of pounds because they have gone over the earnings threshold.

I can't quite understand how she is meeting the 16 hours threshold for WTC and not hitting the CA threshold - it sounds like she is cleaning for just one business (probably not self-employed in reality) in which case she must be working 16 hours most weeks if claiming WTC. Obviously other self-employments working hours don't always equate to profit at/above NMW, but in the OP's case it would be odd if it didn't

IQ
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    I can't quite understand how she is meeting the 16 hours threshold for WTC and not hitting the CA threshold. IQ
    That is my concern too.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ohdrar
    But if you're already doing 16 hours a week as a cleaner (assuming you are getting more than NMW per hour - even if self-employed) how are you managing to claim Carer's Allowance. They must already be taking into account your earnings.

IQ

Bold to assume Im making a profit equal to NMW? Believe it or not doesn't pay that well. When you say they are you meaning DWP or HMRC?
  • ohdrar
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    Income from the self employment would also count towards the Carers Allowance income amount.

UC may work better for you, as you don't need to claim carers to ge the carers premium and there is no earnings cut of as such, other than the normal taper and earnings disregard you get whilst on UC.

Try a benefits calculator and do a check. It may not be better, hence why I suggest a check.

Thank you did not know about UC as Im on the legacy - have done an online calculator but worried the carers can end up less on UC? Am I misguided about that? Thanks for your patience as I've never had to review my benefits before
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure