About to invest in S&S ISA for the first time!

Hi all,
Wife and I are 46/47, one child who is 5. Both work full time with salaries of around £50k each, just paid off mortgage last year and still have a previous residence overseas which is rented out and making an income tax profit. Both workplace pensions are set up with additional contributions to drop us into the basic rate tax band. Sale of my old flat last year brought in more than we expected and after paying off mortgage we are left with a considerable sum of about £70k in the bank earning around 1.5% interest. Our annual expenses are probably around £25-30k, so we are fairly comfortable now.

We do not have any ISA's currently and so we plan to put £40k from our savings into ISA's before the end of this tax year. At a minimum we plan to use the new Coventry 1.5% ISA as a short term bucket, but if we can make a decision on S&S ISA's before the end of the month we might be better to go straight into those.

In a previous post Vanguard lifestrategy was recommended, and I think the 60% equity fund is probably about right. I had previous been looking at the MSE recommended Iweb platform, but I noticed that Vanguard seem to offer their own LifeStrategy ready made ISA direct.

I suppose my first question is really just to try and get a sanity check on my above plan from some more experienced forum members.

Another question is whether there is any reason why it would be better to purchase a Vangaurd fund through IWeb rather than going direct?

And finally, what I suspect is an unanswerable question but I am interested in views, is now the right time to invest? Putting aside personal views about Brexit, my impression is that uncertainty tends to send markets into a flutter. Should this have any impact on my decision whether to do this now or wait?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Cruixer wrote: »
    Another question is whether there is any reason why it would be better to purchase a Vangaurd fund through IWeb rather than going direct?
    Cost, for one - putting £20K into a single fund via an IWeb ISA costs £25 to open the account and then £5 for the trade, for a total first year cost of £30, which is coincidentally exactly the same as the year one cost with Vanguard Investor themselves (0.15%). However, years two onwards would be £0 with IWeb but £30 with Vanguard....

Also IWeb keeps your options open, in that it offers a wide range of funds from multiple managers, whereas with Vanguard Investor you can only buy Vanguard funds.
    And finally, what I suspect is an unanswerable question but I am interested in views, is now the right time to invest? Putting aside personal views about Brexit, my impression is that uncertainty tends to send markets into a flutter. Should this have any impact on my decision whether to do this now or wait?
    The usual adage applies, i.e. time in the market not timing the market - investing should be thought of as a long-term activity and any turbulence that seems like a big deal right now will probably be an insignificant blip when viewed back from the distant future. Also, a well-diversified portfolio, such as VLS, will only have a smallish chunk associated with UK (and European) equities anyway, so in global financial terms Brexit isn't the massive issue that we see it as....
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Neither the iWeb or Vanguard Investor platform are 'ready made' so you still need to add cash, pick an investment and make a trade. The VLS fund costs the same 0.22% on all platforms.

The difference is that iWeb charge a £25 setup fee then £5 per trade compared to Vanguard Investor at 0.15% pa.

As such iWeb is cheaper for large infrequent trades and Vanguard Investor is cheaper for small regular trades.

Do the maths on your next few years of contributions to determine which will be cheaper for you.

Alex
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 19 March 2019 at 2:37PM
    In a previous post Vanguard lifestrategy was recommended, and I think the 60% equity fund is probably about right. I had previous been looking at the MSE recommended Iweb platform, but I noticed that Vanguard seem to offer their own LifeStrategy ready made ISA direct.
    IWeb is pretty much cheap as chips, charging a nominal amount for account maintenance and a transaction fee every time they do something for you like buy or sell an investment in a fund or company. They have a broad range of funds.

Vanguard charge on a percentage basis for use of their platform and only have their own products on it. 0.15% is £15 per year per £10k-worth of investments, but they don't charge transaction fees to buy or sell the investments; if the two of you end up with £20k plus in the account you will be spending £30+ a year each in fees which might be more than just using IWeb if you are only doing a couple of purchases each year.

Generally the more you have invested and the less frequently you want to buy or sell any investments, the more sensible it is to use a provider with fixed or transaction based fees.

If two providers have same ballpark fees and the exact same services, go with the one that has a broader range of investments, because, why restrict yourself? Saves messing around and being forced to transfer out if you later prefer a different product that's not offered by the one with the restricted range.
    And finally, what I suspect is an unanswerable question but I am interested in views, is now the right time to invest? Putting aside personal views ...
    Correct, it's an unanswerable question and only in hindsight will you know what was the exact best time for you to have invested in your global portfolio of stocks and bonds.

You can't ask for personal opinion on a forum 'putting aside personal views'. Objectively, the markets are at a fair price based on how the sum total of market participants have valued the hundred trillion of global equities and bonds that exist. Any suggestion that the price might move to a specific different price tomorrow *must* be a personal view, as if it were a view that everyone else shared, the people would have already bought or sold accordingly to move the price to that level.
    my impression is that uncertainty tends to send markets into a flutter.
    Sometimes markets fluctuate more than other times. Uncertainty and fear help you buy things cheaper than if everyone was happy. There is always 'the next thing' ready to send markets into another flutter.

Practically, you are proposing to buy a globally diversified pool of assets. Brexit is not the main driver of the price of an oil company or US retailer or Chinese software company or Korean smartphone manufacturer. However, the value of those overseas stocks measured in pounds sterling will depend on how much of other currencies a pound sterling will buy. It's generally expected that if Brexit doesn't happen or goes smoother than expected, pounds will become more valuable so your overseas assets will be worth fewer pounds . If Brexit goes badly (ie more badly than the market makers already project) there will be less demand for pounds and then your overseas stocks will be worth more pounds (as happened immediately after the last referendum result).

And you don't know what direction or timescale it will be (especially "putting aside personal views" and trying to look for facts).
    Should this have any impact on my decision whether to do this now or wait?
    You have more cash than you need and you are generating more each year. Ultimately you want to have a good chunk of this cash in the form of investments for a better long term outcome than holding cash which gets eroded by inflation. So the question is just when to switch from being a cash hoarder to an investor. "I won't do it now because markets might go up or down soon" seems a silly answer because markets always might go up or down soon. That's been their status every day for the last hundred years. :)

What you might think is:
    Wife and I might like to have £30k in investments each in a year or so.

We could do £10k each right now (and fill the rest of this year's allowance with a simple cash ISA product).

We could do another £10k each next tax year, in a couple of months, along with another couple of cash ISAs

Towards the the end of next tax year while taking stock of your situation, one or both of you could transfer part or all of your cash ISAs into investment ISAs.

Then you will be able to say you didn't completely dive in before 'Brexit deadline day at end of March', nor did you completely dive in during June, nor did you wait until spring 2020. You bought at a variety of prices, which seems like a risk averse thing to do. Of course, nobody can tell you if those variety of prices will on average be higher or lower than if you just dived in today.

You may be of the opinion that you could have been investing monthly in S&S ISAs for the last couple of decades and have already missed out on some growth, so why wait any longer. Statistically, investing all the money you can afford as soon as you are able, generally gets more growth than investing slowly by drip feeding at a variety of prices while markets go up without you. But for an individual case over an indeterminate timeline, nobody can really tell you how it will shake out.

In terms of the actual investing:

-what fund is the best for me?
    - where is the cheapest place to buy it?

Are the two questions to ask yourself, in that order. If you have heard of Lifestrategy 60% equities, you have probably heard of its rivals, on the threads where people talk about alternatives to that particular Vanguard range of funds and the various pros and cons.
  • Cruixer
    Cruixer Posts: 81 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks Alex and Bowlhead.

Sounds to me like IWeb are a better bet for my circumstances. We are likely to put in £20k in at a time, which at 0.15% is £30 per year, versus a one off £30 at IWeb.

I appreciate the point about investments evening out over time. I suppose I was thinking of Brexit as being a quite singular event, where one way or another something is going to happen very soon. I suppose I was thinking that if the pound fell on the referendum result, it might be reasonable to think that it might fall further if we head towards no deal, or rise if there is an extension or a deal. Given that I have no more of an idea than anyone else does about what is going to happen next, or how the markets will respond in either case, I suppose I am answering my own question as I write this!! :)

I'll admit to being a bit nervous about this. I have no experience in investing, and while letting a company with a track record make the investment decision through a fund, seems a lot less risky than me doing it, I still have no idea how to evaluate one fund against another. I guess its not the sort of thing you can dip into and test the water either as I won't know until 5 years+ so I suspect if I am going to jump I am as well to do it with both feet!
  • Cruixer
    Thanks Eskbanker, sorry I missed your post before I did my previous reply

eskbanker wrote: »

Also IWeb keeps your options open, in that it offers a wide range of funds from multiple managers, whereas with Vanguard Investor you can only buy Vanguard funds.

This reinforces what was in the back of my mind, that Vangaurd investor might make me lazily just continue to invest in their own product.
  • I don't want to hijack Cruixer's thread, but I was just about to start a similar one, so I'll ask a quick question here if I may?

I have a Vanguard Lifestyle 60:40 in an ISA through Charles Stanley. I don't buy any other products, it's basically a lump sum sitting there as my retirement nest-egg. I pay 0.35% fees, but investing direct with Vanguard is only 0.15%, and IWeb possibly even cheaper.

Is there any advantage to me staying with Charles Stanley or would I have the same benefits bit cheaper by moving? Thanks.
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    CSD are good and professional but it's hard to justify the extra expense. Your LifeStrategy will perform the same wherever it is. I transferred to IWeb as the only action my growth portfolios see is an annual bed & ISA so it made sense for me
  • Cruixer
    Well, I've set up my iweb account now, was all fairly painless. Seems amazingly straightforward to just pick a fund from a list and then leave it for 5-10 years!

I have checked the option to reinvest any dividends, although I think most of the funds I have been looking at do that automatically.

I plan to put the full £20k for this tax year into one fund in my name, and possibly put the other £20k in the Coventry cash ISA in my wife's name while we decide the next step.

Now I just need to pick a fund. I have the Vangaurd life strategy 60 or 80 as my default, but thought I should take a look around at what else is available. This would mean that we would still have various options on what to do come April, but I am thinking I might put another £20k in a fund again, and anything that remains in the cash ISA to again keep the options open. Now that Coventry ISA are matching the best easy access savings it makes it a bit of a no brainer to put it in the ISA.

Any tips on how to choose a fund, beyond risk/length of time you plan to invest, or is it much of a muchness between funds offered by experienced/reputable providers?
  • lpgm
    lpgm Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have the Vangaurd life strategy 60 or 80 as my default, but thought I should take a look around at what else is available.

Do you understand what the LifeStrategy funds are? They are funds of other funds that Vanguard rebalances back to predetermined proportions over time. They may or may not be right for you.

If you have enough cash on the side, and can stomach large price swings - potentially seriously large - without caving in and selling at a loss, a simpler global tracker like Fidelity Index World or HSBC FTSE All-World might be suitable. You could keep it at that, or add one or two other funds to 'spice things up', like a smaller companies fund, an emerging markets fund (although the HSBC fund above includes emerging), or a global active fund like Fundsmith Equity or Lindsell Train. This is called a core and satellite approach.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As said the VLS range are multi asset funds that cover a broad spread of geographic markets and, at anything less than the VLS 100, include bonds as well as equities.

Essentially a "decent portfolio" in one package. They are designed to be easy to invest in and aimed at middle of the road investors not looking to spend hours searching for the next big thing. Fire & Forget as is sometimes said on here.

Alternatives include HSBC Global range, L&G Multi Asset and Blackrock Consensus. If you look at the fact sheets for those and VLS you will see some differences in approach. The contents of their baskets will be a bit different (L&G includes a commercial property fund whilst VLS doesn't), similarly the %'ages allocated to each geography will be different.

L&G operates to a "risk factor" level and will buy /sell assets to maintain that relative risk. VLS operates on a "fixed equity" level so will always aim to have 80% of VLS80 invested in equities and 20% in bonds irrespective of how risky they may view equities / bonds at that point in time.

No approach is definitely correct, you need to think about what you feel comfortable with and what makes sense to you.

Whatever you choose I would suggest going for one of these "all in" options at the start whilst you do more research. You can always change funds later, getting started should be your focus at the moment.

monevator.com is a good place to research general principles and will lead you to other places.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure