PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Plug Sockets when moving house

Options

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    thank you for all the help. we will have a think about whats best. I think I know the answer, unfortunately!.

Mike

Im not saying dont take them, I am just saying be clear about the fact you are taking them.

If I went to view a house and then it was different when I moved in, I would be really annoyed.

If you changed the kitchen cupboard doors for example, is that ok?
    What about changing the carpets? I know they are obviously bigger and will stand out more, but where is the cut off?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mikefearn83
    mikefearn83 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Im not saying dont take them, I am just saying be clear about the fact you are taking them.

If I went to view a house and then it was different when I moved in, I would be really annoyed.

If you changed the kitchen cupboard doors for example, is that ok?
    What about changing the carpets? I know they are obviously bigger and will stand out more, but where is the cut off?

this is exactly it. im a fair person and wouldn't want people to be unhappy, especially if it provides the extra headache to us.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I think it'd be a bit mean and I'd buy new ones
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • mikefearn83
    Options
    I suppose its a small cost given the £ we are about to spend on the property
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The buyers have probably seen the metal switches but have never spoken about them and when completing the fixtures and fittings form, we just ticked included on the sockets section.
    Would it be ok to replace the switches for the original white ones and leave everything fully safe and working, or would I have to declare the removal of the metal ones.
    Why did you tick included if you want to remove them? I would expect the fixtures and fittings to be in the house as seen during viewings if the form specified they are included. When filling in the form you could have ticked no and added to be replaced with original white. That said we have silly chrome fittings here and I want them back to white so suggest you try asking the buyer. If they don't agree then you should stick by the form for everything YOU ticked was to remain!
  • mikefearn83
    Options
    franklee wrote: »
    Why did you tick included if you want to remove them? I would expect the fixtures and fittings to be in the house as seen during viewings if the form specified they are included. When filling in the form you could have ticked no and added to be replaced with original white. That said we have silly chrome fittings here and I want them back to white so suggest you try asking the buyer. If they don't agree then you should stick by the form for everything YOU ticked was to remain!

it was a later thought to be honest.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I changed all the sockets 2 years anyway, im in no way an electrician but I know how to ensure a socket is safe for use. Saying that I do understand the regs these days with electrics.

So you will be giving the buyer the completed Electrical Installation Certificates (EICs).
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options

I agree. Technically you could but it seems really off to me and I wouldn't think much of you for it.
  • pink_pirlie
    pink_pirlie Posts: 238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seeing all you guys say you would complain has made me realise I am being far too soft! So that!!!8217;s for the thread Op!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I don't like metal switces/sockets, and if I was buying a house that had them would be changing them asap.
    Nothing to lose by checking with your buyer, they might be thrilled to have you do all the work of replacing them, I would be!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business