Help to Buy ISA guide

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The short answer to your question is yes, you can use non-HTB money alongside your HTB pot.

A different way of addressing the issue is to use one or two Lifetime ISAs instead, as these have a higher annual contribution limit than HTBs, as well as a higher property value cap (outside London). LISAs need to be held for at least a year before (penalty-free) use for a first-time property purchase, so if you're over a year away from buying they'll probably be a better bet as you can earn more free government money than with HTBs....
  • kaycastle
    kaycastle Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    I have a question about help to buy ISAs.

I've already got a house but can you use help to buy ISA products anyway. I know I won't get 25% bonus obviously, but I couldn't help but notice that all the interest rates seem to be better on those then some of the standard ISAs. Is that allowed?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    kaycastle wrote: »
    I have a question about help to buy ISAs.

I've already got a house but can you use help to buy ISA products anyway. I know I won't get 25% bonus obviously, but I couldn't help but notice that all the interest rates seem to be better on those then some of the standard ISAs. Is that allowed?

No, if you already have a property (or have ever owned one) you will not be able to truthfully sign the 'eligible customer declaration' on account opening which states that you don't own and have never owned any interest in residential property.

You are right, the rates are higher than for most other cash ISA types. This is because:

- the accounts are small in size - customer is only going to be putting in a maximum £200 of new money a month, so not much for the bank to pay interest on (less than 'normal' ISA products);
    - may sometimes result in a mortgage sale too ;
    - it's a competitive market with limited number of eligible customers who want the product;

- so banks or building societies that offer it, are happy to pay high rates

If you want to save £200pm but are frustrated that most cash ISAs pay low interest rates, you should check out the various 'regular saver' non-ISA accounts offered by various high street names. For example, Nationwide have one at 5% on up to £250pm. Even after tax (if you even earn enough to exceed your personal savings allowance) the net rate is competitive.
  • kaycastle
    kaycastle Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    No, if you already have a property (or have ever owned one) you will not be able to truthfully sign the 'eligible customer declaration' on account opening which states that you don't own and have never owned any interest in residential property.

You are right, the rates are higher than for most other cash ISA types. This is because:

- the accounts are small in size - customer is only going to be putting in a maximum £200 of new money a month, so not much for the bank to pay interest on (less than 'normal' ISA products);
    - may sometimes result in a mortgage sale too ;
    - it's a competitive market with limited number of eligible customers who want the product;

- so banks or building societies that offer it, are happy to pay high rates

If you want to save £200pm but are frustrated that most cash ISAs pay low interest rates, you should check out the various 'regular saver' non-ISA accounts offered by various high street names. For example, Nationwide have one at 5% on up to £250pm. Even after tax (if you even earn enough to exceed your personal savings allowance) the net rate is competitive.

I use regular savers lots :)

I just wanted to check incase I was missing out haha!! :)
  • Ryanlwb2
    Options
    I currently have around £1800 saved in a Help to Buy ISA.

I am wondering if it's feasible to withdraw that money, close the ISA and then open a new Help to Buy ISA when the new financial year starts in a couple of weeks. I would then deposit the initial £1200 and carry on from there.

I don't want to transfer, my query is whether it's possible to close one account and start another in the next year in the way mentioned above.

I know that sounds mad and immediately puts me £600 behind in my savings but I have cash to use in order to start again with a new account and could do with freeing up the £1800 saved in my current Help to Buy ISA.

Slightly odd question, just want to know if it's possible to close and open an account in the above way. Thanks.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,070 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you can, as per https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/faq/#919a24ea-e1f7-648f-8ce9-ff0000ad17aa:
    If I close my account, can I open a new Help to Buy: ISA?
    If you hold a Help to Buy: ISA, and close it without claiming your government bonus, you can open a new account in the following tax year (provided the new account is opened before 30 November 2019).
  • CarolynCh
    CarolynCh Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have read both the MSE & government guides about help-to-buy ISAs but can't find the definitive answer to my question:

Is it allowed to save £1600 in a high ISA, close it with the provider, obtaining the confirmation letter/certificate to pass on to the solicitor who then claims the bonus and pays to the mortgage provider, but not actually use the £1600 + interest for the purchase?

The reason for this is that the exchange (and hence the 5% exchange deposit) is taking place several months prior to completion as it is a new build. The only savings remaining at completion will be this money and will be needed for moving costs etc.

Thanks to anyone who knows/can point me in the right direction of confirmation of this either way.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CarolynCh wrote: »
    Is it allowed to save £1600 in a high ISA, close it with the provider, obtaining the confirmation letter/certificate to pass on to the solicitor who then claims the bonus and pays to the mortgage provider, but not actually use the £1600 + interest for the purchase?
    There is nothing in the legislation or scheme rules stating that the balance of the ISA must be used towards the purchase. You'd need to get your solicitor on board with this though.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 8 April 2019 at 7:23AM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    There is nothing in the legislation or scheme rules stating that the balance of the ISA must be used towards the purchase. You'd need to get your solicitor on board with this though.
    Yes, the rule is that the bonus can only be obtained and collected by the conveyancer/ solicitor into their client money account, on condition of applying the bonus (and any interest that the conveyancer gives on the bonus amount for the period while it's sitting in their client money account) towards the purchase price - so the bonus will reduce the size of the mortgage you need or the amount of money (if any) you intend to put towards the purchase price after the initial 5% exchange deposit.

It's a multi stage process:
    - you close the HTB ISA with at least £1600 in it and obtain the closing documentation;
    - you give the closing documents to the conveyancer and make the relevant declarations;
    - the conveyancer claims the bonus cash into their client money account;
    - the conveyancer pays the bonus cash over to the seller at the same time as he pays the rest of the completion monies (including the mortgage amount he got from your lender etc)

None of those stages involve you giving the conveyancer the £1600, if you don't want to. Any money you do give them (e.g. for further cash towards the purchase price or for their fees and other things) can come from whatever bank account you like, and doesn't specifically need to come from the £1600 you got when you closed the ISA.

When Masonic says you might need to get your solicitor on board with this, he means that solicitors when you tell them you have a HTB account and need them to process a bonus claim for you, might assume that the £1600 and the bonus amount will be available towards the property; and if you don't want to spend the £1600 on the property you should tell them up front and have them confirm they understand your plans - which would also give them a chance to tell them it's not allowed, if there is some rule against it that we aren't aware of.

If you were doing your savings as a Lifetime ISA, they would have to confirm that the whole amount withdrawn from the account would be used on the property purchase to avoid penalties. But a HtB ISA does not involve confirming the whole amount withdrawn will be applied to the purchase - the claim form only relates to the bonus itself. The account closure paperwork for the £1600 is only there to help them prove what amount of bonus is eligible to be claimed.
  • Adelemurray
    Options
    I just wondered why I can't purchase a house of more than £250,000 with the help to buy ISA?
    Why should there be a limit?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure