tesco broadband - a fiasco

Options
This is just a polite warning to potential customers.

I was finally connected a lot later than they originally said,  it worked for two days and since then all I get are 721 errors.

I have had a search around the web, and it seems like lots and I mean lots of people are having problems with tesco.

You can never get though to the helpline.  Emails are not replied too at all.  I will continue emailing every day, but will not go on like this for weeks.  The problem is my first direct debit goes out soon, for a non existent service.  

Don't just take my word for it, have a look at some other forums.  just google for tesco broadband.

Be very cautious before signing up at present.

I'm not sure what else I can do now,  any advice?

Comments

• clovis_2
    clovis_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, I finally got through to broadband support.

Quote 'There is a problem with our servers, it will be fixed in a few days'.

Great.

ok, so will I be refunded for the days when the service was unavailable.

Quote ' Yes just call customer services, number is 0800 519 2345'

Called it and it isn't customer services, just a recorder message saying there are no service problems.

So back to calling broadband support again.

To put it politely this is just 'rubbish'.
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, tesco.net is contracted out to NTL, who are absolutely hopeless.

I have been unable to send any email whatsoever to hotmail addresses through their SMTP server for the past 2 months, and they still haven't bothered to look into it.

Thank goodness I have broadband now and went with Vispa instead.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had problems with Tesco braodband also. I signed up on line two weeks ago,and cancelled my dial up account with AOL. A week later, I received an email saying that I could not sign up for Tesco broadband because either 1) I already had broadband or 2) my line would not support broadband.

I do not have broadband, so checked out option two.BT and AOL both confirmed I would have no problems with broadband and that they could supply a service.

I phoned the Tesco helpline and was told that they would get back within 24 hours. They did not. After seven phone calls and numerous emails (none of which they have replied to), I am still none the wiser. Frustratingly, my account with AOL expires next week and I am no closer to getting Tesco broadband. >:(
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, tesco.net is contracted out to NTL, who are absolutely hopeless.

don't know where you got that idea from, Ive been using ntl BB for some years now with no problem
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In defence of Tesco I was with their dial up for many years and more than happy. Signed up for the broadband as soon as I could and was online very early on. Had two days of downtime when their problems started and yes the customer service phoneline is the pits so to their email responses. I was lucky and got my service back after 48 hours and I must say its been great.

I too have read the forums full of Tesco complaints and if anyone is thinking about signing I would give it a couple of months for the teething problems to be ironed out.
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    I have just transferred from Tesco dial up. Activation date is next Tuesday, too late to cancel now so I will have to see how it goes. Surely if they are not fulfilling there contract we should be able to cancel before the 12 month minimum
  • chateau42
    chateau42 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Got plusnet, 1Mb, £14.99/month, virus and spam protection, domain hosting etc, not too familiar with all technicalities, to be honest. Limited to 1Gb /month, but if I use more , just charged extra until I reach unlimited tariff, no more then. Seems fair to me, unless I am missing something. Like being on metered water but better. Am not an agent Oh, must add, if you are not happy within a reasonable time, they will move you for free. Have not moved.
    Just trying to help. ???
    The moving finger, having writ, moved on.
  • MoneyMachine_2
    Options
    I tried to sign up to Tesco Broadband after using Tesco dial-up for 18 months (which I can't say I had any complaints about.)

Their website contantly refused to let me sign-up on the grounds that Broadband wasn't yet available in my area. But I'm sure BT know better and they told me it is and has been for a while.

I called Tesco customer services and the bloke on the phone give me a long - winded answer about Tescoa contract with BT and how they haven't paid for all the info about all the exchanges so are sometimes wrong etc ???!!!

Anyway he said someone would call back in 24 hours.
    The next day I called back (after about 18 hours) and was quite rudely told it hadn't been 24 hours yet and to wait. So I did. That was about 10 days ago, I haven't been able to get through to them since and have now signed up with Demon for 512 - free modem and unlimited download.

Guess they must be a bit overwhelmed at the moment by demand.

Just goes to show, even the biggest companies don't always get it right and on this occasion it would seem they've under - estimated demand.

I'm sure after the teething problems are sorted out it will be a good service but at the moment they failing to capitalise on all the business their promotional material is creating. Wonder if someone will get sacked???

Anyone on this forum high up in Tesco's marketing dept???
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    My tesco broadband is supposed to be active today so far I have not even received the modem. All the E Mails in my inbox have disappeared I do not even have the one telling me how to activate the broadband. I am trying to send them an E Mail but cannot find the web address anywhere on their site. I have used the dial up connection for over a year with no problem, had I seen all the complaints about the new broadband service I would have gone elsewhere. but I suppose I will have to wait until they sort it out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure