Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• SaveTheEuro
    SaveTheEuro Posts: 971 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Yes a few years ago you could travel to Eire without having to worry about passports at all, but no longer is that the case.

It is still the case, the exception being if you use Ryanair.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is still the case, the exception being if you use Ryanair.

You could argue that as EU citizens that passports are not needed to travel from one member country to another. If I travel from Portugal's Algarve to Seville in Spain on a coach, then I won't be stopped anywhere en route and asked to produce ID. Yet if I flew between the two it is likely that I would not be able to board a plane.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    You could argue that as EU citizens that passports are not needed to travel from one member country to another. If I travel from Portugal's Algarve to Seville in Spain on a coach, then I won't be stopped anywhere en route and asked to produce ID. Yet if I flew between the two it is likely that I would not be able to board a plane.

You could, and Ryanair would leave you at the gate. Their big shiney planes - their rules.

Portugal and Spain are in the Schengen Area, the UK is not.
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options

UK and Ireland are not in the Schengen area - travel without a passport within Schengen (Note - not EU member states but Schengen States) is possible, however airline travel wil sometimes require a passport - however other forms of photo ID will usually be acceptable on a intra-schengen flight (In some cases including driving licences or mroe commonly National ID card which most other European states issue).

The UK and Ireland, despite being members of the EU are not in Schengen and are instead in a common travel area, travel between UK & Ireland is not subject to passport control but travel to a Schengen country from UK/Ireland requires a passport.
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could, and Ryanair would leave you at the gate. Their big shiney planes - their rules.

Portugal and Spain are in the Schengen Area, the UK is not.
    Yes you're right matey!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    lazer wrote: »

The UK and Ireland, despite being members of the EU are not in Schengen and are instead in a common travel area, travel between UK & Ireland is not subject to passport control but travel to a Schengen country from UK/Ireland requires a passport.

Isn't it nice to be able to hold one to just one or two of our powers now we've given up just about everything else to unelected officials in Brussels.
  • SaveTheEuro
    SaveTheEuro Posts: 971 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I look forward to the debate on passports needed by the English to enter Scotland after 18 September 2014.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    I look forward to the debate on passports needed by the English to enter Scotland after 18 September 2014.

They'll need a visa for England.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Why would any sane English person wish to visit Scotland - unless they had a hankering for a deep-fried Mars bar and alcohol-induced street violence ?

It's largely academic anyway as successive opinion polls show a steady decline in support for the Scottish independence movement even from an initial unwinnable position.

The Jocks may be quarrelsome but they're not stupid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure