Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport?

Options

Comments

• Bob_the_Saver
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    It means they can get away with less training for their staff who can therefore be paid less as they don't need to be able to make difficult decisions.

And speeds up boarding for much the same reasons - therefore lower costs

Good.......................
  • SianyM
    SianyM Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I know this thread is pretty old now, but I wondered if anyone has ever traveled with Ryanair using a photocopy of their passport? I've had to send mine away for a Visa application, before realising I now need to travel to Dublin at the weekend....passport won't be back in time, so will a photocopy do? Ryanair are a nuisance about these things, so any help would be much appreciated :)
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SianyM wrote: »
    I know this thread is pretty old now, but I wondered if anyone has ever traveled with Ryanair using a photocopy of their passport? I've had to send mine away for a Visa application, before realising I now need to travel to Dublin at the weekend....passport won't be back in time, so will a photocopy do? Ryanair are a nuisance about these things, so any help would be much appreciated :)

THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:
    • A valid passport
    • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currentlyissue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (not accepted on non Schengen flights), Switzerland)
    • A valid German Government issued ‘Kinderausweis’ travel document
    • A valid Greek National Police identity card
    • A valid Spanish Family Book (for use by children under 14 years travelling with their parents/legal guardians on Spanish domestic flights only)
    • A valid Italian ‘Certificato Di Nascita’ with photo (for use by children under 16 years) which has been endorsed as ‘VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO’ for travel on international flights, no endorsement is required when travelling on Italian domestic flights.. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport.
    • A valid Italian AT/BT card (for Italian domestic flights only).
    • A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    • A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    • A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country
  • SianyM
    SianyM Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    • A valid passport
    • A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currentlyissue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden (not accepted on non Schengen flights), Switzerland)
    • A valid German Government issued ‘Kinderausweis’ travel document
    • A valid Greek National Police identity card
    • A valid Spanish Family Book (for use by children under 14 years travelling with their parents/legal guardians on Spanish domestic flights only)
    • A valid Italian ‘Certificato Di Nascita’ with photo (for use by children under 16 years) which has been endorsed as ‘VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO’ for travel on international flights, no endorsement is required when travelling on Italian domestic flights.. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport.
    • A valid Italian AT/BT card (for Italian domestic flights only).
    • A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    • A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    • A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country

I've seen this already....it doesn't answer the Q but thank you for reposting.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    I think it's unlikely that they will allow you on a flight without your passport.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2013 at 11:27PM
    Options

You can try but can I come and watch.
    I've seen this already....it doesn't answer the Q but thank you for reposting.

It does because a photo-copy of a passport is not on the list. See the top line.
  • signol
    signol Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    I know it was a couple of years ago now, but I forgot my passport once on a Ryanair flight to Ireland. The document check at the gate said I could return to checkin, check in manually, and take the next flight. As it was a 1p day trip I just went home.

So, can you check in at the airport rather than online (and pay the fee)?

signol
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    signol wrote: »
    I know it was a couple of years ago now, but I forgot my passport once on a Ryanair flight to Ireland. The document check at the gate said I could return to checkin, check in manually, and take the next flight. As it was a 1p day trip I just went home.

So, can you check in at the airport rather than online (and pay the fee)?

signol
    Yes but surely you would still have needed the passport to check-in manually or otherwise?
  • signol
    signol Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Yes but surely you would still have needed the passport to check-in manually or otherwise?

No - they told me that I would only have needed to show my driving license. Like I said, this was a few years ago and they might be stricter now.

signol
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    signol wrote: »
    No - they told me that I would only have needed to show my driving license. Like I said, this was a few years ago and they might be stricter now.

signol
    Yes a few years ago you could travel to Eire without having to worry about passports at all, but no longer is that the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure