ISA Transfer Question

Options
I currently have an ISA with Smile and plan to transfer to the First Direct account. Have applied and First Direct have sent me all the forms including a transfer form. The form says the maxium I can transfer is £3000, but because of saving over a number of years, the balance of my smile account is just over 6k.

I could do with an explanation of how much you are allowed to transfer – I expected to be able to earn the 6% odd FD rate on my 6k transferred from Smile.

Could someone fill me in please? Thanks.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    have they sent you the right form?

A transfer between ISA providers does not have any limit as the MINI/MAXI contribution limits no longer apply to what you have paid in the past once you enter a new tax year.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    If i transfer all my ISA now can I still add my £3000 for this year?
    travelover
  • jimclark1967
    Options
    You can only transfer £3000 to the First Direct account - this is FD being awkward rather than a general rule.

Strangely enough you can transfer as much as you like after 6th October, which just happens to be the date the rate drops from over 6% to under 5%...

:o
  • Lychee
    Lychee Posts: 446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I opened an FD ISA and transferred 3K in last month. On April 6th, I sent a message to FD asking if I can also transfer in a 2003/04 ISA and received a Transfer pack 2 days later. Filled the forms and sent it back the same day. Nothing happened for a week so I sent another message asking about it. Finally got a reply two days ago to say that the transfer authority form had just been sent to old provider. at the moment, the money is still with previous provider. Everything happened a lot quicker when I was moving my 2004/05 ISA :P

I have the same question as anneg - I've transferred 3K to FD, do they have any awkward rules that prevents me from adding another 3K this tax year?
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    You can open a new FD ISA in the current tax year, does not matter if you transfered a previous year ISA to them.

As each tax year you start with a clean slate.
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So, can I just clarify something - I have a national savings ISA from prev tax years with 5000plus in - and have opened a FD isa for this tax year - so can I then open another ISA now with another provider to transfer the Nat. Savings sum into? ONe day I might get my head around this - and then they'll stop doing them! Thanks
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    They way you need to understand is that you are NOT opening a NEW ISA in the current TAX year, but TRANSFERING an ISA from a previous tax year.

So when you go down to your new ISA provider - You tell them that you want to TRANSFER your Nat SAvings ISA to THEM. You fill in a few forms, and give them your national savings passbooks etc.. and then depending on them and Nat savings the transfer should be done within a month.
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Cheers Deemy for that - i'lll get onto that this week! :j
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    thanks inkie and deemie I was struggling there :T
    travelover
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors