Keeping up appearances.......

Options

Comments

• Dolphin1
    Dolphin1 Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome bd80s and Rosie 3698! :wave:

milann - Sorry that things are so stressful for you right now. Hope the scans come back ok, it's so hard not to imagine the worst but if you are anything like me you will 'hope for the best while preparing for the worst'. Good luck with hitting your weight loss target by Easter!

savingmore - I'm going to be trying the leg standing thing to see how I compare but didn't quite understand the '7/8 se nods'?

HappyNow - Hooray to adding a line in to your YNAB budget for an 'Emergency Fund'. It's a start even if you have nothing to put in it yet. :D

The weight may be coming off slowly but at least it's coming off. Like savingmore says, it's hard to lose the last 7lbs. Not that I would know with 5 stone to lose before I get to a 'healthy' weight!!
  • Dolphin1
    Options
    Update on targets...

1) Eat/drink healthily - This has been really bad but that ends starting from today. There are 12 days left until the end of the month including today and I am setting a target of 10 NCDs during that time.

2) Exercise - Walking is going ok but I am still struggling to get back in to the back exercise routine. It's probably because my back is ok at the moment so I forget about it.

3) Cut back on eating out - Not great as we have eaton out twice since the last time I posted but at least one meal was Pizza Express paid for with Tesco vouchers and the other meal was a cheap breakfast.

4) Meal plan - Doing well with using up the stuff in the freezer but the meals haven't been particularly healthy so will need to get some more veg in somewhere. We have had a cheap month for groceries so far though so that's a bonus!
  • bd80s
    bd80s Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Afternoon Happy and Co :hello:

I have finished reading the entire diary and can honestly say I have laughed and cried along with you (albeit later). Happy you have done so well and I was thrilled for you when you had the very unexpected inheritence, as people said at the time you completely deserved it and it was nice to read along and see that you are fully enjoying your "new" home.

The happy horses really left their mark with me as I had to have mine put to sleep in 2016 (after 19 years of owning her) due to her developing health complications so I knew exactly how you were feeling.

You have dealt with all the obstacles in a very inspiring "oh well, s!!! happens" kind of way and I think, actually know, that is why you have so many followers who are willing you on, plus all the die hards that have followed you on your journey and added their own monthly challenges.

I have enjoyed everyones writings and the amusing little comments you all leave each other, I may come join you in the future (I definately behave better when I am held accountable..........) but I 100% will continue reading along your adventures.

Keep up the good work everyone, I look forward to seeing more updates and cheering on from the sidelines.:T
  • HappyNow
    HappyNow Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    milann wrote: »
    I met my challenges last week which in itself was a minor miracle as I’ve been a tad stressed and not sleeping well. I lost 3 lb at SW I’m now only 1/2 lb away from my lowest weight since I re joined - just short of 2 stone to go:eek::eek: I need to get off the see-saw of weight off - weight on.... I’d love to do it by Easter as we’ve got a meal at Tom Kerridge’s new restaurant booked and I want to wear my fave dress which I can no longer get into.....
    Excellent to hear your target success Milann. Do you lose your appetite when you're anxious? I've heard lots of people do but personally I'm a comfort eater. Anyway, not long now until you get your scan results (4th Feb for anyone else reading who wants to send good vibes to Milann but doesn't follow her diary).
    milann wrote: »
    The lounge walking and dancing sounds great - it reminded me I used to be a lounge skipper - when I was in alone I worked from skipping through 1 advert to the full break in Corrie
    Oh wow, lounge SKIPPING! Impressive, although I daren't try that without investing in a serious sports bra. I've got quite big boobies and the years haven't been kind to them :D
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Finally free of unsecured debt 21st May 21!

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt May 21: Unsecured ZERO! ZILCH! Mortgage £22,332
  • HappyNow
    Options
    savingmore wrote: »
    standing on one leg, it apparently can be a key indicator to longevity! from age 50 i think you are meant to be able to stand on one leg for 20 seconds easily and 7/8 se nods with yr eyes shut. if you try it, stand by back of chair or wall in case you need to balance. it’s much harder than it sounds. i try to practice everyday! work in progress
    I've been practicing this one and I'm not as bad as I thought - until I close my eyes and then I wobble straight over. I'm going to persevere though if it helps with longevity/immortality!
    LBM Dec 2011. Aimed, but failed, to clear all unsecured debt by Feb 2019. Finally free of unsecured debt 21st May 21!

• HappyNow
    Options
    Dolphin1 wrote: »

savingmore - I'm going to be trying the leg standing thing to see how I compare but didn't quite understand the '7/8 se nods'?
    I think the 7/8 se nods was a typo for 7-8 seconds. That's what I took it to be anyway. Try it though - it's practically impossible so BE CAREFUL!
    Dolphin1 wrote: »
    Update on targets...

1) Eat/drink healthily - This has been really bad but that ends starting from today. There are 12 days left until the end of the month including today and I am setting a target of 10 NCDs during that time.
    10 out of 12 days will take some doing. I believe in you though!

2) Exercise - Walking is going ok but I am still struggling to get back in to the back exercise routine. It's probably because my back is ok at the moment so I forget about it.
    Could you set yourself a set routine, like say 'brush teeth, exercise back'. That's how I'm remembering my one leg efforts.

3) Cut back on eating out - Not great as we have eaton out twice since the last time I posted but at least one meal was Pizza Express paid for with Tesco vouchers and the other meal was a cheap breakfast.
    Oh I do love pizza express. Do you know, I haven't had a pizza, even a frozen one, since before Christmas. That's how seriously I'm taking this month's targets. I normally have at least two per week.

4) Meal plan - Doing well with using up the stuff in the freezer but the meals haven't been particularly healthy so will need to get some more veg in somewhere. We have had a cheap month for groceries so far though so that's a bonus!
    I've never really managed consistent meal planning, but I'm pretty good at monitoring the fridge contents so nothing goes off, then eating from the freezer until the next shop.

• HappyNow
    Options
    bd80s wrote: »
    I have finished reading the entire diary and can honestly say I have laughed and cried along with you (albeit later). Happy you have done so well and I was thrilled for you when you had the very unexpected inheritence, as people said at the time you completely deserved it and it was nice to read along and see that you are fully enjoying your "new" home.
    Aww thanks. We both love living here, and even though we could sell it, buy somewhere else nice and be completely debt-free we both agree that this is where we want to be.

The happy horses really left their mark with me as I had to have mine put to sleep in 2016 (after 19 years of owning her) due to her developing health complications so I knew exactly how you were feeling.
    Sorry to hear that. It really is horrible, but at least if you can look back on their lives and know you did the best for them it's some consolation.

You have dealt with all the obstacles in a very inspiring "oh well, s!!! happens" kind of way and I think, actually know, that is why you have so many followers who are willing you on, plus all the die hards that have followed you on your journey and added their own monthly challenges.
    I have enjoyed everyones writings and the amusing little comments you all leave each other, I may come join you in the future (I definately behave better when I am held accountable..........) but I 100% will continue reading along your adventures.
    Keep up the good work everyone, I look forward to seeing more updates and cheering on from the sidelines.:T

I know what you mean about being held accountable. This diary and the wonderful humans who post on it have helped me so, so much. Do join in any time you like - there's still a LOT of debt to pay off so it'll be running for a looooong time :D

• HappyNow
    Options
    Update for the last few days:

Take better care of my body and health.
    Weight - Still 8st 8.4 today so a teenie bit lost. I can't say I feel any slimmer but I do feel a bit energised.
    Calories - Two red days (but only one of them where I'd eaten more than I'd used) and two green days.
    Water - Tick. I only drink water now apart from one tea and one coffee each morning.
    Exercise - More than 10000 steps most days but I've missed a couple.
    Sleep - not great, but no worse than usual. I'm trying to get to bed by 11 each night but telly keeps happening.

2) Sixteen alcohol free days in January. Nine so far.

3) Pay at least £700 off the unsecured debt. Done.

• Dolphin1
    Options
    HappyNow wrote: »
    I think the 7/8 se nods was a typo for 7-8 seconds. That's what I took it to be anyway. Try it though - it's practically impossible so BE CAREFUL!

Doh! :doh: That makes sense!

Oh I do love pizza express. Do you know, I haven't had a pizza, even a frozen one, since before Christmas. That's how seriously I'm taking this month's targets. I normally have at least two per week.

Pizza is definitely my favourite food. I would have it more often if it was healthier. Pizza Express do an excellent gluten free base. OH prefers Dominos but their gluten free base is like cardboard.

I've never really managed consistent meal planning, but I'm pretty good at monitoring the fridge contents so nothing goes off, then eating from the freezer until the next shop.

That sounds like a form of meal planning to me! :T

10 characters
  • Dolphin1
    Options
    HappyNow wrote: »
    Update for the last few days:

Take better care of my body and health.
    Weight - Still 8st 8.4 today so a teenie bit lost. I can't say I feel any slimmer but I do feel a bit energised.

Well done! :T

Calories - Two red days (but only one of them where I'd eaten more than I'd used) and two green days.

Very good! :T

Water - Tick. I only drink water now apart from one tea and one coffee each morning.

Excellent! :T

Exercise - More than 10000 steps most days but I've missed a couple.

Not too bad! :T

Sleep - not great, but no worse than usual. I'm trying to get to bed by 11 each night but telly keeps happening.

Oh dear!!! :naughty:

2) Sixteen alcohol free days in January. Nine so far.

Keep up the good work! :T

3) Pay at least £700 off the unsecured debt. Done.

Fabulous! :T

I feel like a teacher marking homework! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport