Anyone know anything about gas back boilers?

Options
We're going to see a house this weekend that has one in the sitting room. I've seen a photo of the room and the fire itself is pretty grim looking, so we'd be looking to replace that eventually with something as cheap as poss but less depressing to look at. I was assuming we'd just have to get the fire bit replaced (with a £100 job from Argos, say) but seeing as it's got something to with the back boiler perhaps we can't. We'd be getting a Corgi person in of course.

What questions do I need to ask the seller and EA about it? I know absolutely nothing about boilers and central heating so I'm not even sure what to Google for, hence posting here!

Comments

• moneysavingplumber
    Options
    You would have to use a purpose made firefront designed to go with the boiler, and depending on the age and make of the boiler one may not be available.

I would definitely ask them when it was last serviced. It is essential that back boilers are maintained by an annual service to ensure safe operation. Because they are located in a living room they are one of the most dangerous should they malfunction or become dirty and sooted up due to neglect. It is at exactly at this time of year when all the problems begin when people shut their doors and turn their heating up.

Personally, I would consider planning a new boiler, preferably a wall-hung room-sealed condensing, moved to the kitchen for example, and attempt to tie it in with any other improvements you may have in mind. That's just my opinion though, and you'd be looking at a fairly big spend for that.
  • Tyler_Durden_UK
    Options
    When we moved into my house (5 years ago) it had a back boiler (with nasty gas fire) in the living room. We had the boiler and fire taken out and had a new boiler fitted in the loft. We were then able to have a shiny new gas fire fitted.
  • NervousYetFeisty
    Options
    Both posts fantastically helpful, thank you!
    I'm going to do a search now to get a ballpark figure for how much it might cost to replace the whole thing as you've both suggested. I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but still, I want to get an idea of how many thousand squids we're talking because if it's going to be lots and lots then we'll be looking elsewhere or knocking a whole load off any offer we make.
    Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport