PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on £70

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have put the rest of a the £70 budget in a money bag in my purse so I dont forget it.

I haven't spent any of our budget today but used some of my dinner allowance to buy 2 packs of sandwich chicken for sandwiches next week.

Lists at the front have been upated.
    XSpender wrote: »
    TOTAL SPENT - £8.14 AMOUNT LEFT - £61.86 DAYS REMAINING - 49 VALUE OF FOODS PURCHASED WITH WORK ALLOWANCES £3.00

Tomorrow we will be having the chicken in mustard sauce to use up some broccoli, yogurt and carrots and the risotto (with 1/3 quinoa) will be moved until week after next as all inredients will be from the freezer/stores.

DH and I will be using the rest of the yogurt in smoothies at the weekend and if there is any left I will whip up some jelly mouse using one of the sugar free jellie packets.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Carrot muffins?

old money!
    6oz SR flour
    7oz soft brown sugar (I use quite a bit less- it's a bit sweet for me)
    1/2t bicarb
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1 t mixed spice
    pinch salt
    11 oz peeled grated carrots
    2 eggs
    150ml oil

beat together. Makes approx 18
    Cook til firm- around 30 -35 mins

Icing: (I find them fine without!)
    3+1/2 oz cream cheese
    finely grated orange zest
    8oz icing sugar.

You can also add:- sultanas/ raisins/ cranberries/ chopped walnuts/ pecans/ stem ginger.
    Maybe dessicated coconut?
    Substitute coconut oil for the sunflower/rapeseed oil?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    hex2 wrote: »
    Cherry, I bought expensive coffee rather than played in the kitchens, but yes it would be lovely to be paid to experiment in the kitchens.

I've made something like the impossible pie before (think it is on the grocery challenge thread) but have issues with grains so tend to make simple coconut macaroons here

I haven't tried the curry sauce but use chipotle chilli flakes (80p ish MrM) for anything that needs extra zing - heat and smoke rather than just making it hotter like chilli powder.

Thanks for sharing the coconut macaroons, I love them and I've got all the ingredients in so will give them a try soon.
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Carrot muffins?

old money!
    6oz SR flour
    7oz soft brown sugar (I use quite a bit less- it's a bit sweet for me)
    1/2t bicarb
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1 t mixed spice
    pinch salt
    11 oz peeled grated carrots
    2 eggs
    150ml oil

beat together. Makes approx 18
    Cook til firm- around 30 -35 mins

Icing: (I find them fine without!)
    3+1/2 oz cream cheese
    finely grated orange zest
    8oz icing sugar.

You can also add:- sultanas/ raisins/ cranberries/ chopped walnuts/ pecans/ stem ginger.
    Maybe dessicated coconut?
    Substitute coconut oil for the sunflower/rapeseed oil?

These sounds great and again really simple, will give them a try too
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    I will definitely be doing my list tomorrow. I was going to do it today but i fell asleep. We had sausages with jacket potatoes and beans today so we are a bag of sausages less in there.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    What a brilliant challenge Xpender! I'm enjoying reading the recipes that are linked.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    I have put the rest of a the £70 budget in a money bag in my purse so I dont forget it.

I haven't spent any of our budget today but used some of my dinner allowance to buy 2 packs of sandwich chicken for sandwiches next week.

XSpender, don’t you have chicken breasts in the freezer?

Something I’ve started doing is poaching chicken in water (either on hob or in microwave) for my daughters to use for lunches. To be honest, they prefer the pre cooked stuff in packets, but I think that’s because it’s full of sugar and additives. I’m not sure if it works out cheaper but I’m hoping it’s healthier for them. But as you have the chicken breasts already I thought it might help you out

You’re doing so well with your challenge, it’s really inspiring!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Options
    Just went back to look at your lists and realised my reply was bang in the middle, so I’ve deleted it to help keep things tidy.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    phizzimum wrote: »
    XSpender, don’t you have chicken breasts in the freezer?

Something I’ve started doing is poaching chicken in water (either on hob or in microwave) for my daughters to use for lunches. To be honest, they prefer the pre cooked stuff in packets, but I think that’s because it’s full of sugar and additives. I’m not sure if it works out cheaper but I’m hoping it’s healthier for them. But as you have the chicken breasts already I thought it might help you out

You’re doing so well with your challenge, it’s really inspiring!

I do, I have 14. I was originally planning to use one for sandwiches but was concerned that I would leave my self short for dinners for the next 49 days. I am using 2 tonight and will need 4 for my Mum's visit.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    Those carrot muffins look good katiehound

I was looking at your list xspender and I remembered ages ago on OS lots of people raving about these wheetabix brownies. I must try the Boy Who Doesn't Eat on them.

I'm braving myself for a rummage in the freezer, but I'm cold enough without doing that just yet.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    I've done it! I have a freezer list. I've stuck it to the front of the fridge, just hoping everyone crosses things off as they use it (DH is terrible for a sausage sandwich when he comes in from work). I haven't braved the cupboards yet, although they are almost empty.
    Not sure i'm brave enough to post it though, it's definitely going to be a week of junk food.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure