PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour turned off gas supply

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    How is tampering with someone elses gas supply thus turning off the heating NOT anti social.
    Explain your thinking on this?

There is no proof of this...

When the OP gets proof, then maybe. Right now he has now proof at all
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you get the lugs to lock it, you could always fit one with a combination rather than a key, then provide the supplier with the combination.

Not much help if they subcontract it out and don't pass on notes, but at that point it's their problem not yours.

Short of catching the neighbour in the act, you could always play dumb and ask if they've had trouble with their supply, then mention you're getting the police involved because it's a criminal offence. They might be more inclined to knock it off if they don't have to suffer a bruised ego by admitting they were in the wrong.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Tropically
    Options
    The 1998 Law isn't the newest one covering this. Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 says:

In this Part !!!8220;anti-social behaviour!!!8221; means!!!8212;
    (a)conduct that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person,
    (b)conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to a person in relation to that person's occupation of residential premises, or
    (c)conduct capable of causing housing-related nuisance or annoyance to any person.

This is certainly the first two.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    If you get the lugs to lock it, you could always fit one with a combination rather than a key, then provide the supplier with the combination.

I can confirm from experience that that won't work.

I gave the gas board a key to let themselves in and service my water heater, and then came home to find a card through the door: "Nobody at home".

Another appointment: another card. And again and again.

On a Friday I came home early to find that nobody had been, but just as I picked up the phone to call them the van pulled up outside:

"That was good timing, I was just about to call the office. Have you got my key?"
    "Key? What key?"

P!ss up & brewery.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    There is no proof of this...

When the OP gets proof, then maybe. Right now he has now proof at all

That wasnt a point i was trying to make, the point was WHAT he classed anti social.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tropically wrote: »
    The 1998 Law isn't the newest one covering this. Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 says:

In this Part !!!8220;anti-social behaviour!!!8221; means!!!8212;
    (a)conduct that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person,
    (b)conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to a person in relation to that person's occupation of residential premises, or
    (c)conduct capable of causing housing-related nuisance or annoyance to any person.

This is certainly the first two.
    Unless I missed it, the starting point of of this debate about anti social behavior was whether the landlord should get involved.

Not the police.

1) the LL should not get involved in an unproved allegation.

2) a LL certainly has a contractual, and statutory (S8 ground 14), right to evict a tenant for anti social behavior - but that would be following a conviction.
  • arielsmelody
    Options
    Have you tried putting tape on the meter box to keep it closed? That wouldn't stop someone pulling the tape off to access it, but it would send a message that you've realised what's happening. Then it would depend on how stubborn minded they were.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    I can confirm from experience that that won't work.

I gave the gas board a key to let themselves in and service my water heater, and then came home to find a card through the door: "Nobody at home".

Another appointment: another card. And again and again.

On a Friday I came home early to find that nobody had been, but just as I picked up the phone to call them the van pulled up outside:

"That was good timing, I was just about to call the office. Have you got my key?"
    "Key? What key?"

P!ss up & brewery.

I don't doubt it, but that's why I suggested a combination lock. Just a line on the notes rather than a single physical object.

I'm basing this on something House Martin said on the energy board about getting supplier notes when reading meters, although I'd still give it less than 50/50 odds of success.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 3:14PM
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    I don't doubt it, but that's why I suggested a combination lock. Just a line on the notes rather than a single physical object.

I'm basing this on something House Martin said on the energy board about getting supplier notes when reading meters, although I'd still give it less than 50/50 odds of success.
    That is true.We get notes for access all the time with some customers which includes things like codes for flats front doors,or where to go to neighbour for a door key .Raxiels idea would work fine. It would need the OP to phone the supplier to give instructions of the coded padlock combination number.
    The meter box itself is the property of the house owner so it is not illegal to drill a hole or two to add a padlock.
    I have been warned by Revenue Protection to inform them of anyone who puts a padlock on an outside meter box so they can check payment history.Most of the time the customer is bypassing or substituting the gas meter but many times its because of fear of vandalism . I ve found quite a few meter boxes over the years where the meter has been nicked completely for use as a substitute meter .
    Over the years I ve come across this sort of thing happening with a vindictive neighbour turning off gas control valve on outside meter boxes. The control valve can be moved to the inside but the customer would probably have to pay for this
    . Tampering with a gas supply is illegal and dangerous. There are plenty of old style gas boilers around with a pilot light when once switched off are difficult to relight.
    Personally If I had filmed evidence I would be going to the police. They would soon put a stop to it and it would be a powerful deterrent to stop it for good
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And you dont find that willfully turning off someones gas supply (one that doesnt belong to you) fits in that criteria of harassment, alarm or distress?
    Wow. Alrighty then.

My understanding is the law was created to tackle ‘yob culture’ behaviour. I suspect there are other laws which would apply.

Another poster put a link to the 2014 act which suggests that causing nuisance or annoyance to a domicile is an offence in itself- so I suspect that would apply .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure