PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour turned off gas supply

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Open the gas box and load up a whole bunch of glass jars and things that clatter.... pack them in there awkwardly so when the door's opened they'll all fall out and smash.

Prepare your own "receiving box" layered with soft towels/pillows so that if you have to go out there you can open it carefully and drop them into the prepared box without breaking.

Then lay in wait.... ready to pounce when he does it.

He'll open the door, smash, you'll rush out and give it a large dose of "OI - NO!!". And have it out with him.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    RADDERS wrote: »
    The op says when I finally clicked, so I assume that as it was on when they got up they didn’t check the meter box. I’m not sure that I would have thought about checking the Gas was on either.

OK fair point.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 10:56AM
    Options
    The OP already emailed the LL about the neighbour

I appreciate that however the LL is not obliged to get involved in disputes between tenants but will have an obligation to deal with an issue over intermittent gas supply.

Therefore I am suggesting that the OP makes some observations regarding the timing of gas loss and details that to the LL.

Of course if the LL is happy to act on the email that the OP has already sent then all well and good.

I was just giving another view to the type of contact that could be made.
    My suggestion was also in keeping with being a little more formal than an email,by writing!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) ultimately this is neighbour dispute. The LL might want to get involved, but does not have to.

2) the vibration is a fault that should be reported in writing to the LL and investigated

3) the OP needs proof - hidden camera is a good idea

4) Putting a lock on the cupbard needs investigation - check with the gas supplier. Many gas meters are in standard locked cupboards and the meter readers etc have a standard key

5) if adding a padlock etc, ge the LL's permission

6) Once you have proof eg from hidden camera (or catch him in the act? With phone camera?), either a friendly chat, and/or the police

7) or simply turn it back on every night after he's turned it off - chances are he'll give up after a few nights
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Labtec81 wrote: »
    Well obviously one of his other tenants is interfering with my gas supply!! And of course it's their responsibility to confront my neighbour if he's causing a nuisance by what he's doing!
    - it really isn't. Don't start talking nonsense, when so far you've appeared quite reasonable

So ask me again what it's got to do with the landlord, hmm let's see... It's one of HIS tenants interfering with another tenants gas supply, who do you suggest to contact if not the landlord!! - The gas supplier, the police, your parents. It's not the LLs job to deal with neighbour disputes.

Clearly the landlord should get involved, if I were a landlord I'd want to know if I had multiple tenants if one of them was causing a nuisance to another of my tenants! And obviously the landlord has the power to do something about it, even just having a word with him might stop it from happening again.

And the boiler is being looked at BUT the fact it vibrates does NOT give my neighbour the right to turn off my gas supply!!!!
    ... perhaps the neighbour isn't the only one with an attitude problem.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stick one of these in the meter box:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-REMOTE-CONTROLS-WIRELESS-PIR-MOTION-SENSOR-SHED-HOME-GARAGE-CARAVAN-ALARM/322488863629?epid=526548050&hash=item4b15d58b8d:g:I-wAAOSwdGFYnqrp

When he opens the door it will go off. You can turn it off with the remote control
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    I'd have thought your neighbour's actions were deemed 'anti social'. Your landlord has a duty to inform their tenant of this and take remedial action if necessary.

Not only that, the gas supply has been interfered with other than for reasons of an emergency.

OP don't start messing with the box yourself, that might be criminal damage if you start drilling holes etc, and putting locks on it to impede the supply. You'd be as bad as them!
    No, it's not anti-social. and the LL does not need to take action unless their tenant has actually been convicted of anti-social behaviour.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No, it's not anti-social. and the LL does not need to take action unless their tenant has actually been convicted of anti-social behaviour.
    How is tampering with someone elses gas supply thus turning off the heating NOT anti social.
    Explain your thinking on this?
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Comms69
    Options
    How is tampering with someone elses gas supply thus turning off the heating NOT anti social.
    Explain your thinking on this?
    Because anti-social behaviour is defined in Crime and Disorder Act (1998)as: 'Acting in a manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as (the defendant).'

s.5 of the public order act indicates the type of behaviour which may be considered to cause H,A or D:
    Harassment, alarm or distress. E+W
    (1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—
    (a)uses threatening [F1or abusive] words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
    (b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening [F1or abusive],
    within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Because anti-social behaviour is defined in Crime and Disorder Act (1998)as: 'Acting in a manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as (the defendant).'

s.5 of the public order act indicates the type of behaviour which may be considered to cause H,A or D:
    Harassment, alarm or distress. E+W
    (1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—
    (a)uses threatening [F1or abusive] words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
    (b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening [F1or abusive],
    within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.
    And you dont find that willfully turning off someones gas supply (one that doesnt belong to you) fits in that criteria of harassment, alarm or distress?
    Wow. Alrighty then.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure