Contactless Technology

Options

Comments

• AndysDad
    AndysDad Posts: 694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just started using my new CapitalOne card and 'Love it',so much quicker and safer as people don't see you typing in your pin number.:)
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 October 2016 at 9:26AM
    Options
    It would be really interesting to hear any real experiences from people who have lost their contactless cards or had them stolen.

If they are used, do the banks refund readily - or do they give you a hard time and/or refuse a refund?

A friend recently had her purse stolen containing a contactless card and a lot of cash. She reported the loss to her bank. Obviously, she lost all her cash, but zero losses via the card. (She doesn't know if the thief attempted to use it.)

So she would have lost less if she carried less cash and relied on her contactless card more.
  • williamgz
    Options
    The way I see it, with chip & pin is very easy to see your pin, they steal/copy your card and can spend/withdraw a nasty amount.

With contactless nobody can see your pin and "potentially" nobody can magically steal money with machines. Only drawback is, if you get it stolen, they don't need the pin to spend on it but are limited to small amounts so it looks safer to me.

And thinking about it coldly, who would risk getting caught with a stolen card for just 20-30£ purchases?
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even then, after so many (its been as low as 4 for me) contactless transactions it forces a pin transaction.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    krisdorey wrote: »
    Even then, after so many (its been as low as 4 for me) contactless transactions it forces a pin transaction.
    It's definitely not fixed. I'm on consecutive contactless transaction 26 now, without needing a PIN. A year ago, in Poland with the same card, I was asked every four or five transactions.
  • cardsguy
    cardsguy Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just use Apple Pay or Android Pay - same principle but uses secure authentication. I usually carry 4 credit cards with me (no debit cards), together with 3 of them added on Apple Pay and I use contactless whenever I can, especially on TfL - I have never had any fraudulent transactions on any of them. Of course YMMV, but the convenience of contactless is simply to good when compared to the very very small risk that you will have a skimmer next to you stealing your money off of your card. If he can get close enough to do that he could just as well grab your wallet and make a run for it!
  • eset12345
    eset12345 Posts: 643 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2016 at 3:43AM
    Options
    username wrote: »
    I'm genuinely interested to know why people are so anti contactless? It's just simply another way to pay, convenient and faster.

it doesn't help that newspapers like the Daily Mail peddle sh1te around the technology. They were running a story yesterday implying that anyone with a portable card machine could walk up to people's bags and pockets and steal £30 as if by magic by contactless payment.

What they completely forgot to mention is that to even get the card machine working, you will need a merchant account, which requires lots of hoops to jump through (in that you will need to have a business account, and pay for the service) and there will always be a paper trail to the destination of where they money is being sent.

Most people have several contactless cards in their wallet/purse. If multiple cards are presented, none will get charged and the machine will throw back an error as it can only work with one card at a time.

So it's certainly not a case that Billy Bob Crook could buy one off ebay and start charging cards willy-nilly.

anyone can sign up to paypal with fake details and get a cheap £50 contactless card reader. you can then transfer the money to any number of destinations, from prepay debit cards to gambling sites like paddy power that offer prepay debit cards linked to your account.

All set up with fake details, you can then get access to the money from any number of places without any kind of CCTV.

so yeah, its pretty simple, but not that likely considering cards often have to be right on the contactless machine to work, even a barrier through jeans etc can be enough to stop them working

and there's no risk for the consumer anyway, because all banks take on any claims of fraud and refund you immediately, on top of requiring pin access every few attempt, its mean to be random but its limited to a maximum of about 7 transaction, but if they are in quick succession or from the same payment device it will ask for a pin much sooner, within 2 - 3 transactions.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    Nationwide Credit Cards are non-contactless.

As you probably know, their debit cards are now contactless. I rang them last week asking if I could have a contactless Select Credit Card. The operator told me they are getting alot of requests. She said "early next year" and to ring back in February.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    It's definitely not fixed. I'm on consecutive contactless transaction 26 now, without needing a PIN. A year ago, in Poland with the same card, I was asked every four or five transactions.
    Were there any chip and PIN transactions between the contactless transactions?
  • William_Donati
    Options
    What the bank says is correct, in a few years from now, it will jst be contactless technology. I would suggest you keep yourself abreast with the latest technology.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure