Faulty toilet pan

Options
I've had a new toilet fitted as part of a refurbishment on my home. The installation complete, we've now discovered the toilet pan does not flush properly and appears to be defective. I have asked that they cover the cost of fitting a replacement but the supplier is refusing to do anything about that. It feels quite wrong that we have to pay twice to fit something that couldn't be demonstrated as fit for purpose until it was professionally installed, and concerned this could happen with a replacement item too! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whats the issue with the toilet?

If its not flushing away id be inclined to think it was fitted wrong as opposed to the toilet being faulty (as in toilet too low against the waste pipe trying to push poop up hill so to speak). Its not that common for toilets to be inherently faulty. Unless its something obvious like a crack of chip but then thats more or less always a transport issue.

Who fitted it?
  • Neilhza
    Options
    A professional plumber has fitted it. It looks like a defect in the pan rim is preventing the cistern water from flowing down the pan with the necessary force.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you bought it using a credit card, get the CC company to follow it up and get a refund.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Neilhza
    Options
    Sorry if I'm not seeing it, but how does this save me paying a plumber twice for fitting one toilet?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just to be clear; who chose the toilet, you or the plumber?
  • Neilhza
    Options
    I chose and purchased it.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neilhza wrote: »
    I chose and purchased it.

Then you will be responsible for the replacement and the costs of paying the plumber again.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If the supplier is refusing to help, the only route forward is to use the small claims court.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neilhza wrote: »
    A professional plumber has fitted it. It looks like a defect in the pan rim is preventing the cistern water from flowing down the pan with the necessary force.

What has the plumber said about this?

What is the defect? If there is a lump of material blocking the water flow, can it be removed easily?

Have you checked inside the cistern? Is the float set too low so that there isn't enough water in the cistern to create a decent flush?

Is the outlet at the base of the cistern for the flushing water blocked in any way so you are getting a reduced flow?
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If the supplier is refusing to help, the only route forward is to use the small claims court.
    You might need to provide an expert witness statement for this, provided by a different plumber from the original, so it can be established beyond doubt that it's the toilet which is faulty.

This will have a cost, which should be recoverable if you win. No doubt the supplier thinks you won't bother.

It would be unusual for good builders' merchants to take a hard line on complaints, but I've read about on-line outfits selling goods of lesser known or non-branded types having poor customer service. I wouldn't expect companies like say, Ideal Standard, to ignore a customer complaint either.

Is it a well known brand?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport