Buying a car, advice on MOT history

Options
I’m thinking of buying a Nissan Micra 1.2 2004, 60k miles being sold for £700 but obviously will negotiate. I was looking at it’s mot history and it has a few advisories which keep on repeating themselves each year for example:

front wish bone arm bushes in poor condition
poor pattern from headlamps
exhaust in poor condition
front discs in poor condition
front tyres close to limit

EXHAUST SLIGHTLY CORRODED
Front Lower Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement REAR BUSH BOTH (2.4.G.2)
OIL LEAK ONTO EXHAUST

Advisory notice item(s)
headlamp beam pattern poor
exhaust slightly deteriorated
front lower wishbone bushes poor condition

Advisory notice item(s)
poor beam pattern from headlamps
n/s front tyre worn on outter edge
o/s rear tyre low

What do you think? Is it worth buying?

Comments

• naaads_xo
    Options
    Sorry guys, I meant 2018 was clear and the first advisory is 2017, 2016 and so on.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it has new headlights, new exhaust and new front tyres, it could be ok.

Micras that age sell for what they can get, anything from £500-£2000.

Make sure the ABS, airbag and steering lights come on and go off when the engine starts, and that the front subframe isn't rusty.

The poor beam pattern is probably just dim due to the plastic headlamps going opaque. You can polish them, but you need a UV proof lacquer on them or they will go opaque again in a few months.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The poor beam pattern is the most worrying advisory, and it is probably as facade said, but I would check the front of the car for accident damage anyway.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • naaads_xo
    Options
    I spoke to the dealer and asked him about the exhaust if he had replaced it as the advisory of the exhaust in poor condition didn’t come up in the 2018 mot and all he said was don’t worry about that the car is in good condition...he didn’t answer my question. Let’s say he didn’t change the exhaust then why didn’t it come up as an advisory in the 2018 mot? Sorry for the questions just passed my practical test :D
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    naaads_xo wrote: »
    I spoke to the dealer and asked him about the exhaust if he had replaced it as the advisory of the exhaust in poor condition didn’t come up in the 2018 mot and all he said was don’t worry about that the car is in good condition...he didn’t answer my question. Let’s say he didn’t change the exhaust then why didn’t it come up as an advisory in the 2018 mot? Sorry for the questions just passed my practical test :D

Someone else changed the exhaust prior to trading it.

In the testers opinion the exhaust isn't an advisory.

The 2018 MOT isn't straight.

The traders dodgy.

Could be any one or a combination of reasons.

Take your pick.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    naaads_xo wrote: »
    I spoke to the dealer and asked him about the exhaust if he had replaced it as the advisory of the exhaust in poor condition didn’t come up in the 2018 mot and all he said was don’t worry about that the car is in good condition..

No no no.. :D

You don't ask, you look yourself.

If you are buying cars at the bottom of what they fetch, you have to be prepared to look underneath for rust, corroded exhausts, oil leaks, and how deep the tyre tread are.

(It doesn't hurt when you are paying top whack either, but cars at a dealer are cheap for a reason)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The dealer has next to no margin on this car, so don't expect that he did anything prior to sale and will do anything after it.

It's an old cheap car
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Several hundred to spend there if you aren't doing the work yourself.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2019 at 2:50AM
    Options
    Buying a £700 car from a dealer means it's probably worth £400.

At that price point, all you're looking for is a fresh full service and a long MOT. how long do you expect a £700 car to last? Maybe two or three years at most without needing some sort of major repair.
  • Cetshwayo
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Micras that age sell for what they can get, anything from £500-£2000.

£2k for a 2004 Micra....eek

No wonder I can't find a cheap runaround, back to Copart for me the price for bangers on the open market is crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure