MSE News: Fibre deals are getting cheaper – stop overpaying for broadband

Options
The cheapest fibre broadband deals on average have dropped to the lowest in years at under £19/month, new research from MoneySavingExpert.com reveals – check now to see if you're paying too much...
Read the full story:
'Fibre deals are getting cheaper – stop overpaying for broadband'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can only stop paying if you are out of contract .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The cheapest fibre broadband deals on average have dropped to the lowest in years at under £19/month, new research from MoneySavingExpert.com reveals

I don't think Stephen quite understands the word 'Average', when I search there's only 1 deal with an effective' price of under £19 a month. Everything else is over that price point. So much for 'research'.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    As Colin says, if £19 is an average there must be numerous costing less than that.
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    To be fair, it does say the cheapest deals on average have dropped to £19. So if £19 is the cheapest, only those deals costing £19 will be included in the average calculation. Giving an average of £19. It’s still a very strange headline though and quite misleading.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course, the headlines are designed to earn Money Supermarket money by persuading people to switch. A little elasticity in the meaning of words or even the truth, matters not a jot.
  • Rob_Wills
    Options
    I have just spent an hour online or speaking with, Plusnet, Now Broadband and Talk Talk for their deals which are NOT available, so the details in the "How to get cheap broadband" page are wrong. The line speeds are NEVER 10Mb but 1-3 Mb and from personal experience usually between 1.5 - 2.5.

Cheapest standard speed b'band & line (10Mb+)
    Plusnet: equiv £10.24/mth
    Now Broadband: equiv £12.59/mth
    TalkTalk: equiv £12.84/mth
    Rob
  • VirginedOut
    Options
    I initially thought i was paying £24 pm for Vivid 100 but it turns out i am paying £22,13pm. The point i am making is it has entirely possible for many years to get cheap fibre broadband, people need to stop being lazy and compare deals when their contracts run out, this exclusive research by MSE seems to be stating the obvious to those who actively look for cheap deals.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 November 2018 at 10:38PM
    Options
    I think the article needs an explanation of terms. It seems like "Average price of cheapest broadband" means the monthly equivalent price of the cheapest deal available in any given month. This makes sense - it is the price that you should aim for when you switch to get the best deal. It's nothing to do with a market average AFAICT, and that probably needs to be made clearer.

For me, the cheapest Fibre deal is with Talktalk at £18.34 monthly equivalent.

The cheapest ADSL deal is with Now TV at £12.59 monthly equivalent. The £10.24 deal with Plusnet requires pre-payment of Line Rental at £197.88, which may not be to everyone's tastes.

The reference to average speeds relates to OFCOM's standard presentation of speeds, and has nothing to do with speeds to any one specific property. i.e. 10-11Mbps means ADSL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure