Claiming JSA - Job Offer - What do I do now?

Options
Peddeh
Peddeh Posts: 26 Forumite
edited 16 May 2018 at 5:25PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi there,

I was made redundant from my last job and started a new JSA claim 3 weeks ago.

I recently applied for a job, where I had 2 interviews, 1 face to face (your bog standard competency based interview) and another where they had me shadow colleagues from different departments who set me different tasks to complete, to see how I'd handle it. Today, this afternoon, I got a call from them to say I had been successful and asked if I would start Monday (21/5/18) which I verbally accepted.

My next 'sign on' date is on 22nd. Do I just ring them and tell them what's happened?

I'm unsure what I should do, because the company hasn't even sent me anything in writing (not so much an email) and hasn't said I would receive anything - which I find weird (they haven't even got my details to pay my wages)

Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Peddeh wrote: »

I'm unsure what I should do, because the company hasn't even sent me anything in writing (not so much an email) and hasn't said I would receive anything - which I find weird (they haven't even got my details to pay my wages)

Thanks.

Congrats :)

Perhaps the confirmation will appear in the next day or so, if they are so minded they could even leave sending a confirmation letter on email until they are just leaving the office Friday, it happens - if worried you could enquire tomorrow morning if you will be getting anything? Or you could pop them an email to address associated with the recruitment and see what comes back.

I heard once on a Friday I’d got job which I accepted, turned up Monday after weekend and there was a letter with HR type person minutes after arriving. (Smallish company)
  • Catnip63
    Catnip63 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you get a definite start call JSA to close your claim, if you do this you will be paid benefit until 20.05 day before starting work. If you don't contact them they will only pay up to the last time you had contact so could lose 2 weeks benefit you are entitled to.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes call them up on the Monday morning if that's possible.

What does your booklet say ? Do you even still get a booklet ?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Don't call JSA until you do have confirmation of the job. As above, it's best if you can call them on Monday morning once you have started the job. Calling any earlier carries two risks (1) the actual job offer not materialising (2) JSA being closed early.
  • Peddeh
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I still haven't got anything in writing but I'm due to start today, so hopefully everything will become clearer then. On Thursday they called me up to get my information for payroll.

Once I know everything is fine, I'll call DWP/JCP during my dinner break.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    well done and good luck

letting them know the day you start is what the job centre's job coach advised me to do, different circumstances but they are well aware of the uncertainties of job offers and the reluctance to close a claim until absolutely certain.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope the job is all you wish it to be.
  • Peddeh
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I've had another turn of events.

On dinner break, I got another call about another job I interviewed for, I've been offered that position. This time they've explicitly told me the offer is being sent out in the post.

I've accepted it today, and now just to have to pass on my details for a DBS check. The job I'm currently in turned out to be an "on-going" contract, so it's a no brainer. Will be handing in my notice tomorrow, after an astonishing 2 days on the job.
  • Nullboris
    Nullboris Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    If a company doesn't get your details before you start, and doesn't send out any letters or confirmation, then I would suspect something. I have been conned in this way before, with somebody promising me a definite job , then when I left the job I was in , the new one turned out to be "smoke and mirrors". ALways get something in writing or it doesn't exist. Employment Agencys are the scum of the earth , and should be held to far greater standards.

Anyone who was a mobile phone or Timeshare salesperson , and got chucked out for unethical behaviour, becomes a recruitment consultant
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure