Increase performance W10 without hardware upgrade

Options
I realise more RAM and SSD would have the biggest effect, but I haven't had time to sort that out (I realise the tech wizards here could upgrade quickly, but it would take me a weekend!)

I wondered if there was anything that can help speed up a W10 machine in the meantime?

Comments

• dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Back up and do a clean install of win10. If that doesnt speed it up then you will have to look at hardware
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I presume you have made sure you are malware and PUP free by running malwarebytes and then ADW cleaner in that order ?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    When you don't even bother to reply on threads that you start, why should anyone waste their time?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5909924
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 November 2018 at 11:21AM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    When you don't even bother to reply on threads that you start, why should anyone waste their time?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5909924

Sorry, I understand, I am basically using an old laptop till I might get time to get the other one mentioned in the other thread up and running. I am unfortunately always constantly busy with work, I haven't found time to (1) update the hardware on the old laptop (2) sort out the other laptop (3) decide on buying a new one

However I have been reading up on other threads when ever I get the chance, in particular your great advice on updating RAM and SSD and others on here

So sorry if you dont think its appreciated, it is just I am normally only get a small amount of time at weekends (as I often work weekends too) to look at doing something about this

I was hoping there might be some simple quick tweaks I could make
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I presume you have made sure you are malware and PUP free by running malwarebytes and then ADW cleaner in that order ?

I have Avast and Windows Defender installed. Last time I run Avast though it literally took the best part of a day to complete the scan. I do have 1TB HDD drive and I think it scanned everything. Maybe I should scan just the C Drive next time.

Forgive me, I am cautious on downloading and running programs. I have heard of malwarebytes, but do I need those also? Or are they web based?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I understand, I am basically using an old laptop till I might get time to get the other one mentioned in the other thread up and running. I am unfortunately always constantly busy with work, I haven't found time to (1) update the hardware on the old laptop (2) sort out the other laptop (3) decide on buying a new one

However I have been reading up on other threads when ever I get the chance, in particular your great advice on updating RAM and SSD and others on here

So sorry if you dont think its appreciated, it is just I am normally only get a small amount of time at weekends (as I often work weekends too) to look at doing something about this

I was hoping there might be some simple quick tweaks I could make

The problem is that every one of your posts are lacking in info and you don't provide it when requested.

So we have no idea as to which device you are referring.

So if you can find the time to begin a thread, then put as much info into the initial post as you can.

We don't know anything about the old nor the new device.

So your question is akin to; "I have a car that uses petrol...how can I speed it up?"

You need to provide full details.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Get rid of A vast and rely on Defender.
    Follow Andy's instructions.

Check for an improvement!
  • AndyPix
    Options
    I have Avast and Windows Defender installed. Last time I run Avast though it literally took the best part of a day to complete the scan. I do have 1TB HDD drive and I think it scanned everything. Maybe I should scan just the C Drive next time.

Forgive me, I am cautious on downloading and running programs. I have heard of malwarebytes, but do I need those also? Or are they web based?

Uninstall avast.

Run these 2 in order as AV's dont remove malware - which is the most common thing to slow down a computer.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Both are free .

Now - no more questions or f@nnying around .. Just get on with it ;) and you will be finished in half hour
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Uninstall avast.

Run these 2 in order as AV's dont remove malware - which is the most common thing to slow down a computer.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Both are free .

Now - no more questions or f@nnying around .. Just get on with it ;) and you will be finished in half hour

Done!

Set aside some time

What does the adwcleaner do beyond the Malwarebytes main download?

They did find 7 things between them, I think minor, but as the programs didnt really define what they were it wasnt easy to tell. They were all in google chrome folder and appeared to related to be some sort of search (Ask Jeeves). I didnt like quarantining them without knowing what they might be, but trusted in the program developer

I haven't noticed any performance benefits to just using WD but happy to give it a try and see
  • AndyPix
    Options
    ADW cleaner checks for scheduled tasks etc that are set to update or re-download the malware.

You never need to worry about quarantining stuff .. In fact, if you dont know what it is then surely it SHOULD be quarantined !!

OK, now that you have run both those 2 and removed avast (and i presume restarted your machine) that has taken care of one possible reason for slow machine.

Now - where exactly are you noticing slowness ? Is it starting up that is slow ? internet browsing ? what ?

And also, what is the current spec of the machine you are using ? How big hard drive ? How much remaining free space on it ? How much memory installed and what CPU do you know ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure