Increase performance W10 without hardware upgrade

Options
1235»

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Done - do you need to setup a regular scan with WD or does it do it itself? I have gone into Task Scheduler and under WD scans it says it has done one yesterday, but I didnt ask it too, so assume regular Quick Scans are built in?
    It does them itself.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    There is no magic button that gives you a significant boost. Spyware and pup removal as others recommended

the biggest bottleneck will probably be your disk. Less you have installed and saved the quicker it is to index and find the right track/sector. Kill the crud... or archive it off.

defrag the disk, defrag the mft, and defrag the registry.

In the days of old when cpu's were in MHZ, You would get a disk run hd tune and partition it into three or four.
    The quickest part would be the swap space, usually these are the outer most tracks
    Second quickest would be the boot/system area
    Third and possibly fourth was data and programs. Which ever of the two was more disk instruction intensive during operation, that would get faster part of the disk.

By the time you do this all and then re-install and set it up and tweek here and there, you would take at least two solid days for what was then a significant throughput advantage
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    It's now 5 days later. You could have already completed the drive replacement and have been done with it.
    Have you even ordered a solid state drive or are you just procrastinating? Shall I tell your wife? :D
    Your dinner will be in the dog. :)
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2018 at 7:21AM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    It's now 5 days later. You could have already completed the drive replacement and have been done with it.
    Have you even ordered a solid state drive or are you just procrastinating? Shall I tell your wife? :D
    Your dinner will be in the dog. :)

Ok
    As well as limited time, I wasn't sure whether to upgrade my wife's laptop, which is currently all working and functional or try to get a potentially more powerful laptop that I bought in a bootsale up and running (currently it has admin rights enabled)

Anyway, prompted by a pretty good deal on SSD here (worked out about £14 with 4% Quidco and £2.50 Quidco bonus)

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html/?utm_source=HUKD&utm_medium=Affiliates

128GB but hopefully that should be ok?
    Win 10 + updates 30GB?
    Microsoft Office 3GB?
    Work files 25GB
    Maybe 60GB space free on 120GB?

I hope to remove the DVD drive and put the 1TB HDD in a caddy - need to find out how to do this though?
    It will just have photos on, I back up to Google Photos and also onto another separate external 1TB HDD, I dont know if overkill backing up to laptop HDD as well? but thats what was currently doing. I take the laptop around travelling for work, so suppose there is a chance the HDD could fail if knocked about. I could use it as external hard drive, but as it would fit in the laptop, suppose it might be more convenient to have it in the laptop?

The MS Office I had was from a work offer, about £10. Not sure if it was limited to a certain number of installs, so hesitant about moving from HDD to SSD?

I also may as well upgrade the RAM whilst I have it open I suppose. I looked up and worked out it had 2 slots and the current 4GB is one stick in one of the slots (although wouldn't mind knowing how to double check this?). Its up-gradable to 8GB according to Crucial

Is secondhand RAM ok to use?
    The cheapest place seems to be 4GB for £8 from CEX

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=smem412800204&categoryName=memory-laptop-ddr3&superCatName=computing&title=4-gb-pc12800-ddr3-1600mhz-204-pin-memory
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think you're hopeful if you think MS Office will only be 3GB installed.

Done a bit of searching and the results suggest between 3GB and 6GB storage space needed. :)
  • EveryWhere
    Options

Is this the "more powerful machine" to which you were referring? :)

Happily, the device has maintenance panels on the underside. So swapping the components should take just a few minutes.

Just clean install the OS to it. Don't bother cloning anything.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Ok
    As well as limited time, I wasn't sure whether to upgrade my wife's laptop, which is currently all working and functional or try to get a potentially more powerful laptop that I bought in a bootsale up and running (currently it has admin rights enabled)

Anyway, prompted by a pretty good deal on SSD here (worked out about £14 with 4% Quidco and £2.50 Quidco bonus)

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html/?utm_source=HUKD&utm_medium=Affiliates

128GB but hopefully that should be ok?
    Win 10 + updates 30GB?
    Microsoft Office 3GB?
    Work files 25GB
    Maybe 60GB space free on 120GB?

I hope to remove the DVD drive and put the 1TB HDD in a caddy - need to find out how to do this though?
    It will just have photos on, I back up to Google Photos and also onto another separate external 1TB HDD, I dont know if overkill backing up to laptop HDD as well? but thats what was currently doing. I take the laptop around travelling for work, so suppose there is a chance the HDD could fail if knocked about. I could use it as external hard drive, but as it would fit in the laptop, suppose it might be more convenient to have it in the laptop?

The MS Office I had was from a work offer, about £10. Not sure if it was limited to a certain number of installs, so hesitant about moving from HDD to SSD?

I also may as well upgrade the RAM whilst I have it open I suppose. I looked up and worked out it had 2 slots and the current 4GB is one stick in one of the slots (although wouldn't mind knowing how to double check this?). Its up-gradable to 8GB according to Crucial

Is secondhand RAM ok to use?
    The cheapest place seems to be 4GB for £8 from CEX

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=smem412800204&categoryName=memory-laptop-ddr3&superCatName=computing&title=4-gb-pc12800-ddr3-1600mhz-204-pin-memory

When you do post, you seem to flit between a HP 15-r110na and the hp-g56-106sa.

You taken more than a month to even get to this stage.

Then you write about removing a DVD drive and putting a 1TB drive in a caddy.....that sounds like your wife's laptop, as yours has only a 250 GB HDD. If not, what laptop is this now??

You need to pull yourself together. We have to read all of this, try to make sense of it and then give you the correct advice.
    Worse when we have to come back to the same issue a month later and have forgotten all about it.
    You even got the capacity of your newly purchased SSD wrong. It's 120 GB, not 128 GB.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    When you do post, you seem to flit between a HP 15-r110na and the hp-g56-106sa.

You taken more than a month to even get to this stage.

Then you write about removing a DVD drive and putting a 1TB drive in a caddy.....that sounds like your wife's laptop, as yours has only a 250 GB HDD. If not, what laptop is this now??

You need to pull yourself together. We have to read all of this, try to make sense of it and then give you the correct advice.
    Worse when we have to come back to the same issue a month later and have forgotten all about it.
    You even got the capacity of your newly purchased SSD wrong. It's 120 GB, not 128 GB.

Your right, now you have pointed it out its obvious my mistake

I had a receipt for hp-g56-106sa, which I assumed was the one I was talking about. But the hp-g56-106sa is in fact the laptop prior to the one I plan to upgrade. Incidentally, the reason we bought a new laptop from the hp-g56-106sa was its battery died (it didnt hold charge), we tried replacing and at the time it was something like £75 off HP or £30 from China, you will sigh, we tried the China one and it lasted about a month and then was equally as bad.

Soooooooo

It is the HP 15-r110na that I want to upgrade

I can understand anyone not wanting to know, I made a mistake and I am slow at getting time to do things

I am having fun researching and finding out things myself, so I will muddle along whatever

Anyway, according to Crucial I only have one RAM bank (which is also supported by Task Manager under performance saying 1 of 1)
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-15-r110na

Interestingly, this video showing someone opening one up, thought there were two banks, until they opened it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYrCMvXBrk&t=

Another video showing dissambly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svHY2nOnR3c&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2yKQLebPO2iVjyaV7bPpovKU2SVr_EwkjBvUTNdwebHlMDMy--RHjvf-c

It looks a bit more than 5 mins as need to take the keyboard out and plastic surround to get to the the hard drive and then the motherboard and others to get to the RAM

Because its slightly more intensive to take apart, I didn't want to take it apart till I had the SSD, RAM and DVD caddy

I was hoping it was just a £8 4GB RAM from CEX, but that was for the hp-g56-106sa, in my muddle

The HP 15-r110na only has one bank, already has 4GB, so needs a 8GB. Also it is DDR3L (low voltage) so cant take the more common DDR3 apparently from what I read. CEX dont seem to have DDR3L and ebay seems about £25

I think I will just do the SSD and DVD caddy for the HDD. I have the SSD 120GB (:wink:). I will look for the DVD drive caddy

Feel free to ignore all of the above, its getting a bit like my own personal rambling/diary thread of how to take a year to install a SSD anyway!
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Your right, now you have pointed it out its obvious my mistake

I had a receipt for hp-g56-106sa, which I assumed was the one I was talking about. But the hp-g56-106sa is in fact the laptop prior to the one I plan to upgrade. Incidentally, the reason we bought a new laptop from the hp-g56-106sa was its battery died (it didnt hold charge), we tried replacing and at the time it was something like £75 off HP or £30 from China, you will sigh, we tried the China one and it lasted about a month and then was equally as bad.

Soooooooo

It is the HP 15-r110na that I want to upgrade

I can understand anyone not wanting to know, I made a mistake and I am slow at getting time to do things

I am having fun researching and finding out things myself, so I will muddle along whatever

Anyway, according to Crucial I only have one RAM bank (which is also supported by Task Manager under performance saying 1 of 1)
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-15-r110na

Interestingly, this video showing someone opening one up, thought there were two banks, until they opened it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYrCMvXBrk&t=

Another video showing dissambly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svHY2nOnR3c&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR2yKQLebPO2iVjyaV7bPpovKU2SVr_EwkjBvUTNdwebHlMDMy--RHjvf-c

It looks a bit more than 5 mins as need to take the keyboard out and plastic surround to get to the the hard drive and then the motherboard and others to get to the RAM

Because its slightly more intensive to take apart, I didn't want to take it apart till I had the SSD, RAM and DVD caddy

I was hoping it was just a £8 4GB RAM from CEX, but that was for the hp-g56-106sa, in my muddle

The HP 15-r110na only has one bank, already has 4GB, so needs a 8GB. Also it is DDR3L (low voltage) so cant take the more common DDR3 apparently from what I read. CEX dont seem to have DDR3L and ebay seems about £25

I think I will just do the SSD and DVD caddy for the HDD. I have the SSD 120GB (:wink:). I will look for the DVD drive caddy

Feel free to ignore all of the above, its getting a bit like my own personal rambling/diary thread of how to take a year to install a SSD anyway!

That's fine, it's all clear now.

You don't really need to upgrade the RAM. The solid state drive will make the most difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure