The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Options

Comments

• kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thankyou so much for my badge :j :beer: I hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year!!!
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wise words Piq ;)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • misselvis
    misselvis Posts: 285 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    Well done folks incredibly inspirational.
    misselvis proud and in motion - dealing with her debts step by step :)DFW #107
    challenge pay off 6.5k by the end of 2017~ £388/£6500 challenge 1% challenge = 6% of debt cleared; challenge - build up 3 months emergency fund- £0/£6000
  • Jemima09
    Jemima09 Posts: 179 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The date of your lightbulb moment - May 2009

Debts at their highest - £20675. Although could have been more at times, my parents had previously paid some off :eek:

Debt-Free Date - 1st December 2013. Nice early xmas present to me!

Your one pearl of wisdom - Talk about it. I appreciate you can't talk to anyone and everyone, but find someone you can trust, a friend or family member. They won't judge you, it'll be a massive weight off your shoulders.. and they might shout the coffee next time :)

Which forum threads helped you - The whole Debt-Free forum was a great help when I was starting up. Finding people in the same situation as me, reading SOAs and taking in the mountains of advice given. The Mutual Support threads that were so very welcoming!

To be honest, I don't know how I'm going to spend all that time I used to spend budgeting and making sure I had enough food/petrol money to get through the month!
    Debt Free and Very Very Proud! - DMP mutual support member 315
    Debts at May 09 (LBM) £20,675 : Dec 13 £ZERO!
  • condoghost
    Options
    The date of your lightbulb moment The day I got married :j
    Debts at their highest 5K :(
    Debt-Free Date 17th January 1986 a year after we got married :cool:
    Your one pearl of wisdom My wife :T
    Which MSE guides helped you - Which forum threads helped
    None. These were the days of dinosaurs walking the earth - a decade and more before MSE was ever a lightbulb moment :rotfl:
  • JindoFlix
    Options
    The date of your lightbulb moment - 14th April 2013

Debts at their highest - £3,744

Debt-Free Date - 3rd December 2013

Your one pearl of wisdom - Don't blame yourself, and don't beat yourself up. Keep your head up, and keep on going.

Which forum threads helped you - I couldn't name one in particular; though this thread certainly helped me to keep going, and keep telling myself I'd get there one day!
    Every penny paid off is a penny to a brighter future. Remember that, and be proud of yourself.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Dear MSE Badger, may I creep for a new shiny badge please? :D

As you can see from this thread back in 2009 that was even in the tips email yay, I became debt free from 24K including student loan.

However, life just isn't fair sometimes as I found out 2 years later in a non-fault car accident that affected every aspect of my life. Long story short over the last 5 years I ended up back in debt from poor solicitors, ex suddenly walking out, off work for 18 months and dumped on pitiful benefits, £1K mortgage arrears built up on a mortgage I don't own - as I couldn't claim for assistance, various pompous companies trying to rip me off and stitch me up, and culminating in finally losing my job I was fighting for for the last 3 yrs, with 'redundancy' this year :mad:

But with the redundancy pay this month I will be debt free again.....and will this time, build in a contingency fund for when any other idiots that randomly choose to drive into me, do :p

Thank you :A
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done to you all...just needed a bit of cheering up today and reading all your success stories does just that and keeps me on track:T
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done to you all...just needed a bit of cheering up today and reading all your success stories does just that and keeps me on track:T
    They can be very inspiring and motivating hey Ellie? ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Racjam
    Racjam Posts: 10 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The date of your lightbulb moment - August 2003

Debts at their highest - £26593.10

Debt-Free Date - 10th December 2013

Your one pearl of wisdom - Even when its really tough every single penny is a step nearer the end goal.

Which forum threads helped you - I especially enjoyed the debt free diaries very inspirational and kept me motivated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback