cost of returning an item from london to ipswich?

Options
I bought an item it is about 30lb/15kg or max 20kg, in weight, and dimensions are 61cmx80cmx15cm

It cost £40

The seller said I can return it for a full refund, or keep it for 50% refund. It's pretty bad, i'd consider it faulty, not fit for purpose, I would only throw it out.

If I could return it for £10-£15 then it'd be worth it to return But I don't know what delivery company would deliver it for that price?

Is there one, or should I just accept the 50% refund and chuck it?

Thanks

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    damino wrote: »
    I bought an item it is about 30lb/15kg or max 20kg, in weight, and dimensions are 61cmx80cmx15cm

It cost £40

The seller said I can return it for a full refund, or keep it for 50% refund. It's pretty bad, i'd consider it faulty, not fit for purpose, I would only throw it out.

If I could return it for £10-£15 then it'd be worth it to return But I don't know what delivery company would deliver it for that price?

Is there one, or should I just accept the 50% refund and chuck it?

Thanks

Are you sure the full refund doesn’t include postage?
    I recently had to send an item back and I queried return postage and was told to email them a postage receipt and they would include it in the refund which they did. I used Hermes print at home label as it was far cheaper than Royal Mail.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • damino
    damino Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Are you sure the full refund doesn’t include postage?
    I recently had to send an item back and I queried return postage and was told to email them a postage receipt and they would include it in the refund which they did. I used Hermes print at home label as it was far cheaper than Royal Mail.

I don't think so.. They had no idea how much postage costs / They feign no idea of how much postage costs (even though they posted it to me in the first place)
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was it a purchase from a shop/business. If so and it is genuinely faulty I'd be expecting the seller to cover the postage.
  • sarah1972
    Options
    I don't think so.. They had no idea how much postage costs / They feign no idea of how much postage costs (even though they posted it to me in the first place)

Go online and get postage quote and email them back asking if they will refund it on top of the item cost.

Worth a try !
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • damino
    edited 17 May 2019 at 8:30AM
    Options
    Go online and get postage quote and email them back asking if they will refund it on top of the item cost.

Worth a try !

I did and it came out at £24 postage. Item is £39.99 / £40.

the postage plus the item costs more than the item.

The item was free postage. But it's a big time so it wouldn't have been free for him to post. But he says he doesn't know how much it cost to post.

Maybe I can find a 'man with a van' for £15, though would only save me £5 ('cos if I send it to him and get £40 from him and pay £15 for delivery, then I have £25 back. Alternatively, if I keep it and bin it and take the 50% refund instead i'd have £20 back)
  • sarah1972
    Options
    I did and it came out at £24 postage. Item is £39.99 / £40.

the postage plus the item costs more than the item.

The item was free postage. But it's a big time so it wouldn't have been free for him to post. But he says he doesn't know how much it cost to post.

Maybe I can find a 'man with a van' for £15, though would only save me £5 ('cos if I send it to him and get £40 from him and pay £15 for delivery, then I have £25 back. Alternatively, if I keep it and bin it and take the 50% refund instead i'd have £20 back)

Could you keep it and put it on a local buy and sell group?
  • damino
    Options
    Could you keep it and put it on a local buy and sell group?

maybe though I don't want to pass on something that is rather faulty.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You havent answered question #4
    If You bought from a business (or on ebay ) and it is faulty then you are due a full refund with seller paying return costs ( if they want it back )
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    You havent answered question #4
    If You bought from a business (or on ebay ) and it is faulty then you are due a full refund with seller paying return costs ( if they want it back )

This is the response that OP needs to reply to, eveyrhting else is just a red herring.

If this was an online purchase from any venue then buyer is entitled to a full refund and if seller wants the item back then they have to pay for the pick up and return.

That's it.

The only complication might be is if buyer paid for the item using an unsafe method of payment like a bank transfer, but hopefully most of us are aware of that issue now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • damino
    edited 17 May 2019 at 3:13PM
    Options
    Okay I could tell them that I am due a full refund and would like to send it back but they would have to pay for delivery.

It was free postage, so if by law they don't have to pay for delivery, then it's a bit unfair to them 'cos they included postage in the price.

If by law they do have to pay for delivery then fine.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport