PIP cannot follow an unfamiliar route affect driving?

Options

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Reading a number plate still applies, my daughter passed her test just over 1 year ago.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Reading a number plate still applies, my daughter passed her test just over 1 year ago.
    Thanks Poppy. I assumed that was the case, but I've been driving a long time now!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd have thought if shes applying for a provisional licence youd hae to declare her problems to them and medical services would investigate and determine whether she would be approved? Has that happened yet?

Last time i applied i was turned down on medical grounds, but silver lining is i now have a bus pass so at least i can still get around. I know it can be quite a blow to your independence but its important to be honest with DVLA and DWP for her PIP
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The DVLA will write to her consultant, they have a standard form but will include questions relating to her visual acuity and, unfortunately for you, her mobility skills. I can't remember the exact questions but one of them definitely relates to being aware of objects in the peripheral vision and one is about being able to adjust from light to dark conditions (like from daylight into a tunnel).

They'll probably ask her to go through their own screening at an opticians of their choosing to include a binocular visual field test.

For PIP you'll probably ask the same consultant for a report to support her application.

The consultant won't be able to state that she's independently able to drive a car around town but not able to follow an unfamiliar route without tying themselves into complete knots.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    She must notify DVLA that she has night blindness. It is on the list of medical conditions that you need to report.

She must also notify her insurance company when she applies for insurance.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd have thought if shes applying for a provisional licence youd hae to declare her problems to them and medical services would investigate and determine whether she would be approved? Has that happened yet?

Last time i applied i was turned down on medical grounds, but silver lining is i now have a bus pass so at least i can still get around. I know it can be quite a blow to your independence but its important to be honest with DVLA and DWP for her PIP

I would disagree with that, I drove for 20 years (upto 40k miles a year) before my epilepsy I have now not driven for 20 years and it doesn't mean I'm any less independent or any more so. We have become to car centred in this country and when I tell people that I don't drive and neither does my OH the reaction is "how do you manage?"
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Thank you. Perhaps I need to talk to her consultant again. I have a letter stating that in her glasses she meets the DVLA standard and visual field. I don't understand how this is possible when I physically took her to read a numberplate she only managed at 14 metres in glasses. She did manage 20 in contact lenses, but I can't guarantee she would wear them all the time, either way they said she meets the standard in glasses. DVLA said apply and see what happens. Nightblindness is on their list of conditions but I could not see anything that refers to photophobia. My feeling is that she would manage driving in general light in well known places but in changing light and glare or unfamiliar places I just don't know. Similarly she doesn't follow an unfamiliar journey on foot so I can't be sure. Also I did not think she could be registered VI if she has a lisence, in which case I am concerned that she would lose support from the LA at school. The consultants seem in favour of getting a lisence, if one can be issued for daytime hours.

For a driving license it's all or nothing, you can't be issued one for daylight only. What if she took a daytrip somewhere and had to drive through a dark tunnel with poor lighting? She'd cause a crash.

You can't be registered visually impaired and hold a driving licence, all you can do is apply, send in the forms and let the DVLA decide but it may cause a review of her registration status (registered sight impaired - used to be called partially sighted - is a bit more subjective than registered severely sight impaired which used to be called blind).

Registration status should be reviewed fairly regularly, when is she due to be reviewed?
  • Nannytone
    Options
    Thank you. Perhaps I need to talk to her consultant again. I have a letter stating that in her glasses she meets the DVLA standard and visual field. I don't understand how this is possible when I physically took her to read a numberplate she only managed at 14 metres in glasses. She did manage 20 in contact lenses, but I can't guarantee she would wear them all the time, either way they said she meets the standard in glasses. DVLA said apply and see what happens. Nightblindness is on their list of conditions but I could not see anything that refers to photophobia. My feeling is that she would manage driving in general light in well known places but in changing light and glare or unfamiliar places I just don't know. Similarly she doesn't follow an unfamiliar journey on foot so I can't be sure. Also I did not think she could be registered VI if she has a lisence, in which case I am concerned that she would lose support from the LA at school. The consultants seem in favour of getting a lisence, if one can be issued for daytime hours.
    I am astounded that you would consider taking that risk with other people's lives, the fact that you see more concerned with your daughter's benefit entitlement rather than worrying about whether she could potentially kill someone, is scary to me.

She shouldn't be driving end of
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »
    I am astounded that you would consider taking that risk with other people's lives, the fact that you see more concerned with your daughter's benefit entitlement rather than worrying about whether she could potentially kill someone, is scary to me.

You would be amazed at the number of people who don't disclose to the dvla that the hospital want to register them sight impaired (because you can refuse registration) then ask not to have their pupils dilated because they're driving home!

Hospitals can only disclose to the dvla under certain circumstances and that isn't one of them believe it or not!
  • Hellokittykat
    Hellokittykat Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2018 at 2:35PM
    Options
    Nannytone wrote: »

You clearly didn't read my post properly. I will repeat the safety of her and others is paramount it is not your decision of whether she is capable of driving but of the DVLA. Of course I hope they investigate fully, and draw the safest conclusion, whichever way that is. Obviously I/my daughter would always disclose a medical condition to the DVLA. Isn't that obvious?

Good lord! I am astounded that you so deluded that you honestly think I would want my daughter to kill someone or be harmed herself.

I have now removed most of my post because it seems you have completely misconstrued it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure