Childminder 4 week notice

Options
Hi! I need an advice.
I'm sending my daughter to childminder on Wed, Thurs and Fri. Childminder recently have been sick very often and on two occasions have forgotten to even let us know that she's not going to work and is off sick and we decided that we need to change a childminder and we have her a notice on 21.12.18.
Now the problem starts.
She was closed for business between Christmas and New Year and then on 2nd of January she forgot to send me a text saying that she is sick and not going to work that week. Which leaves us with just 2 weeks when my child could attend. But she wants me to pay in full for all 4 weeks? Should I? In contract it says that we don't have to pay her holidays or her sickness and underneath the 4 week notice period it states that we should pay wether or not the child attends but I would assume it is wether or not child attends if it is possible, because even if I wanted to bring my child she was closed.
She now threaten us with her insurance etc.
It is not a large sum but she has AWOLed us twice and just being rude so don't want to give her money if I shouldn't.

Thanks

Comments

• Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    LailaB wrote: »
    Hi! I need an advice.
    In contract it says that we don't have to pay her holidays or her sickness
    Thanks

If it states that in the contract then i would be explaining that to the childminder. But bear in mind you have to still take your child there for two weeks so I wouldnt be ruffling any feathers just yet, unless you have alternative childcare lined up for if she just cut you off.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Her insurance isn’t going to fund this.

Frankly i’d Just ignore her and find a new childminder.
  • LailaB
    Options
    Thanks, we tried to explain that but she says that we still have to pay anyway because on notice periods you should pay 4 full week payment, that is where I don't agree.

We are not sending our daughter to her for remaining 2 weeks and I thought I will just pay for these 2 weeks and that's it, but she makes us to pay for these two more weeks over Christmas.

She is threatening us with her insurance and told that she will tell all local childminders about us. :wall
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    LailaB wrote: »
    Thanks, we tried to explain that but she says that we still have to pay anyway because on notice periods you should pay 4 full week payment, that is where I don't agree.

We are not sending our daughter to her for remaining 2 weeks and I thought I will just pay for these 2 weeks and that's it, but she makes us to pay for these two more weeks over Christmas.

She is threatening us with her insurance and told that she will tell all local childminders about us. :wall

Tell her YOU will be telling the local parents about her letting you down with no notice!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What does she think her insurance can/will do? Insurance has nothing to do with you paying her.

Send the money for two weeks with a note explaining you are enclosing two weeks payment only as childcare was not available for two weeks of the four weeks notice.
  • izoomzoom
    izoomzoom Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some childminder insurance allows the childminder to claim the money owed from their insurance, and the insurance company then claims the money from the parent.

As a Childminder myself, I'd go with what the contract says.

Haven't read the small print completely recently, but a pacey contract says that "notice must not be given whilst Childminder or parent is on holiday".
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I doubt very much that any insurance policy she has (public liability) has a legal expenses extension enabling her to pursue you for breach of contract.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    I doubt very much that any insurance policy she has (public liability) has a legal expenses extension enabling her to pursue you for breach of contract.

Notice was given on 21 /12 - before the holidays
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’d pay her the two weeks (begrudgingly!) and tell her to whistle for the rest. If she “threatens” you with tales to other childminders, insurance company etc, just tell her that you’ll be reporting her unprofessional conduct to the council, and she’ll be taken off their register. (Assuming she’s on it?)

I used two childminders (the first one moved house, which is why I had to use another) and I know how badly some parents treat them. Mine were both fantastic and I’d never do anything to upset them. Having said that, both of them did get paid holiday times, but they didn’t expect to get paid if they were sick themselves. Nor did they ever let me down at short notice.

Yours sounds like a real amateur, you’re well rid!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • LailaB
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    We did agreed to pay her 3 weeks instead of 4 but honestly I am shocked of her unprofessionalism.
    It's done and dusted but just could not believe the lengths she would go, apparently there have been someone before who did not pay her(she told us that her insurance has claimed money from these parents, but I'm not sure of their circumstances).
    I already told my new childminder what happened, so that she is aware in case ex childminder does go and tell tales about us as they both do the same schools on the school run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure