Talk talk another price increase query

Options
Hi, I received an e mail from Talk Talk this morning to say that from February a £4 per month charge will be added to my bill to receive Talk Talk Tv.

I never watch Netflix, or buy films etc the only thing we do on occasions is watch something we have missed on catch up. £48 per year on top of my phone contract is not something that I want to pay but does anyone know whether we will still be able to watch Dave, Travel Chanel on 42, Quest and Yesterday? If I cancel this £4 per month extra plan will we be able to watch the above programmes through our smart tv or are they only available through our Talk Talk box?

If I don’t take this package after February will I need to remove the Talk Talk box and re tune my tv? Which programmes come as standard without Talk talk or Bt connection?

My phone and broadband is Talk Talk and I really can’t go through all the hassle of changing to BT or another supplier. Not sure just when my Talk talk plan ends without looking.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2019 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Hi, I received an e mail from Talk Talk this morning to say that from February a £4 per month charge will be added to my bill to receive Talk Talk Tv.

I never watch Netflix, or buy films etc the only thing we do on occasions is watch something we have missed on catch up. £48 per year on top of my phone contract is not something that I want to pay but does anyone know whether we will still be able to watch Dave, Travel Chanel on 42, Quest and Yesterday? If I cancel this £4 per month extra plan will we be able to watch the above programmes through our smart tv or are they only available through our Talk Talk box?

If I don’t take this package after February will I need to remove the Talk Talk box and re tune my tv? Which programmes come as standard without Talk talk or Bt connection?

My phone and broadband is Talk Talk and I really can’t go through all the hassle of changing to BT or another supplier. Not sure just when my Talk talk plan ends without looking.

Any help appreciated.

Assuming that you have a terrestrial aerial attached to your TV, then the Freeview channels are listed here

https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewchannels.html

These include the ones you mentioned.

If you have only been viewing through your TalkTalk box, then you may need to tune your TV into your local TV transmitter.

If you want to record programmes for watching later, then you may need to buy a Freeview recorder like the ones made by Humax.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Netflix is from £5.99 per month on TT. The £4 price increase has nothing to do with Netflix access. The £4 covers the TV channels from approx channel 300 upwards, so you would only loose those. Depending on which box TT supplied you may or may not already have a recording capable box either way if you are out of minimum TV contract period you would now own.
  • oxygenkiosk
    Options
    I have faster fibre and anytime calls. I already have a Youview box so can pause TV, watch loads of channels and catch up. I have Netflix's £4 odd pack too. I don't want TalkTalk TV which essentially adds nothing...

I don't really understand the email they've sent, but it appears to suggest that they are charging us an extra £4 a month for something we haven't agreed to purchase!

In the small print at the bottom it does say "You’re free to opt out of TalkTalk TV at any time. Chat now to find out more."

So we have to opt out of something we didn't ask for now? really?
  • oxygenkiosk
    Options
    "I'm sorry, a member of our team is not available at the moment, we are busy helping other customers or you have reached us out of hours. Please chat again later or visit sales.talktalk.co.uk"

I bet they are busy.
  • bjbyorkshire
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

From what you have said I feel sure that we will have enough chanels to watch with our terrestrial aerial. We don’t watch films and whenever we think we will watch something on catch up it is often one of the programmes that doesn’t have the symbol at the side of it so we can’t watch it on catch up anyway, Countryfile on bbc 1 being like this.

I rang Talk Talk this morning, eventually spoke to a lovely young Indian call centre man. He read from his script, as they do. He was charming but it was oh so difficult to understand his accent. He answered my questions by going away to clarify with someone else before telling me that if I opt out of paying this £4 per month, it’s not called a boost but I’m not sure what they do call it? then I decide in a couple of months time that I do actually want it back then I can put it back on again at any time.

I asked him why my £22 per month bill had become £24 per month in December and January. It seems that an extra £2 charge was added for the anonymous caller reject boost. I said that I hadn’t been notified about this charge and wasn’t happy. I asked him to remove this which he did.

I had an e mail immediately to say this £2 charge had been removed but nothing to say that the £4 per month charge would not be added so I will check again before February’s Bill is generated that it isn’t still in place. I didn’t ask to be refunded the 2 monthly £2 charges. You do lose the will to live sometimes when it is for such small amounts. It is just very annoying when charges are put onto your bill and either they don’t inform you that something is changing or the onus is on you to be proactive in making sure that nothing extra has been added to your monthly bills.

I also saw it said that you could call and chat for up to 180 minutes?? My understanding was always that you must redial before the 60 minutes were up? Is that something else that changed without me knowing about it?

Thanks for your input.
  • oxygenkiosk
    Options
    I'm astonished by this aggressive move to charge customers for 'TV' who have specifically not purchased it in a package from the outset.

I have therefore had to waste 20 minutes calling the Customer Service Centre to Opt-Out of a service I specifically requested that I didn't want when purchasing the package.

It is very poor and I have alerted OFCOM to it because there are going to be a large group of customers who are only going to find out about this after they have been charged.

If TalkTalk do not want to offer non-TV packages they shouldn't sell them.

During the Customer Service call they tried to sell the TV package and make out that I wouldn't be able to access online/catch-up services if I didn't pay them the £4 which isn't true, as I have a privately outright purchased Humax Youview box connected to the internet and aerial.
  • bjbyorkshire
    Options
    So Oxygenkiosk, that’s you and me not buying into the £4 per month charge for something we don’t want, I wonder how many others will do the same once they realise they have been charged on Februarys bill. I have now saved myself £6 per month, £72 per year by cancelling these two
    packages.

Can I ask if your Humax recorder was easy to set up? I’m a bit nervous that if I unplug my Talk Talk You view box that my tv will need re tuning and need setting up again. Husband and I are technologically behind the times as far as doing this is concerned. I like to leave things be when they are working ok.

Thanks.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    So Oxygenkiosk, that’s you and me not buying into the £4 per month charge for something we don’t want, I wonder how many others will do the same once they realise they have been charged on Februarys bill. I have now saved myself £6 per month, £72 per year by cancelling these two
    packages.

Can I ask if your Humax recorder was easy to set up? I’m a bit nervous that if I unplug my Talk Talk You view box that my tv will need re tuning and need setting up again. Husband and I are technologically behind the times as far as doing this is concerned. I like to leave things be when they are working ok.

Thanks.

Do you need too?

I did ask which box you had and if you were still in TV contract minimum term earlier?
  • bjbyorkshire
    Options
    Inner Zone, apologies that I didn’t answer you questions above. On looking at my bills and paperwork I started an 18 month contract on 10/03/18 so not even 12 months down the line yet.

I have the Talk Talk You View box but the one that doesn’t record programmes. We watch Tv, use catch up when the programme we want to catch later is available, lots aren’t.

We watch the programmes that I see from Mr G’s post we should still be able to watch and as for catch up I have an Apple laptop so can probably watch the catch up that we want to on there if we can be bothered. I sometimes watch what I want on that when hubby is watching Yesterday or Quest.

I have the e mail to say that Talk Talk have cancelled the Anonymous monthly charge but nothing confirming that the £4 one will be cancelled but nice chap in India did confirm that my monthly charge will be £22 per month which I’m quite happy with for my internet and anytime phone calls.

Not sure about the chat time up to 60 minutes then re dial or is it now 180 mins then re dial? I can’t find anything in their web pages about this charge.

I don’t know whether the TV would need a re tune if I pull out the You View box. Will I still be using this box for anythingonce the February date is passed? Is it necessary for anything else that I will be using? Hmmmm not at all sure.

Thanks
  • SpanishBlue
    Options

Not sure about the chat time up to 60 minutes then re dial or is it now 180 mins then re dial? I can’t find anything in their web pages about this charge.

I think it depends on the package that you are on with Talktalk.

I get free 180 minute calls to other Talktalk customers as part of my "Faster Fibre" 18 month contract with them.

A friend who has Talktalk broadband pays extra for their monthly boost to give them free calls to landlines and mobiles, but their calls are limited to 60 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure