Experiences of claiming pip on mental health grounds.

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 April 2018 at 8:04PM
    Options
    Mrskitty,

(I do hope you are still following this thread, despite the distractions).

You may be able to get help with the form from your local advice centre.
    I would suggest contacting them before you phone PIP for the form, as most CAB's etc have considerable demand on their services.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/

This is probably very simplistic - but do remember that if successful it's additional money.
    If your claim isn't accepted - then you are no worse off. That thought may possibly make it less stressful?

Here are the descriptors and the points:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

For depression, I guess, you would be looking at the "prompting" descriptors. Such as -
    1. Preparing food.
    d. Needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points.

Think about how the anxiety affects your day-to-day life. It might affect your appetite (Activity 2); make engaging with other people difficult (Activity 9); make dealing with household finances difficult (Activity 10).

If you look carefully through the Daily Living activities and descriptors you will find many do address the impact that depression, anxiety, and poor mental health can have on your everyday life.

You may even find that the Mobility activity for Planning and Following Journeys applies because of your anxiety.

Here is some info on understanding and writing the form:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form/3-prepare-and-cook-meal/

Here is how to start the claim process:
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Best wishes
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    bspm1 wrote: »
    No it is not impossible, telling people it is will not help them much will it.

Well on that basis I am the one in a million that cannot get the DWP or the assessor to agree,
    When I mentioned rocking for example how would you prove to the assessor and the DWP that not everyone that has these difficulties actually rocks when sitting down.? I can't prove I don't so how can I disprove the assessors opinion?
    Likewise with sweating, the assessor/DWP assume rightly or wrongly that if you don't sweat you cannot be said to be suffering from a mental illness. I don't sweat normally unless doing something active. Based on that how would I prove that sweating affects those with a mental illness?There were 16 one liners that make up the reason why mental health should be discounted. All I was asking is how do you disprove them - I have them again on the recent assessors report?
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    You're one in a million alright!

Two if you count your other alias on this thread.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tommo1980 wrote: »

:T

And, when all the past alias are included, he must be up to at least half a dozen or so.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bspm1 wrote: »

..................................................................................................................................................................

"I think newcomers to this forum need to bear in mind that this is a public site on which anyone can post. You can't assume information is trustworthy, indeed some posters are known to disrupt, post disinformation, and tell tall stories.

I would caution newcomers to be wary of any advice supplied that doesn't contain a link to an authoritative site. Such sites include adviceguide, entitled to, turn2us, revenuebenefits.
    Accredited benefit advice is available from local advice agencies such as Citizens Advice.

Please don't take horror stories about benefit assessments, appeals etc at face value. There are posters on here who whose aim seems to be to alarm, frighten, and generally dissuade OP's from pursuing sensible actions to claim / regain the right benefits.

Harmful and misleading posters are easily identified by the reaction to their posts."
    Tommo1980 wrote: »

Four alias in this thread alone not including others I linked to. :(
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I had a fairly good experience claiming for mental health problems - I am schizophrenic and have had many hospitalisations which help back up the seriousness of my condition, as well as a great social worker / mental health team backing me up. I get enhanced care and standard mobility - though I did have to appeal to get that, I was originally awarded standard care and no mobility. After asking for an appeal they phoned and offered me the higher rate which seems fairly common.

A lengthy process, yes, and frustrating at times, but I'm just happy to have the extra help with my daily living costs.
  • nicetomeetyou
    nicetomeetyou Posts: 310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 3:45PM
    Options
    I think I will be okay with regards to PIP. I have been on DLA since 2004 and not been assessed since then. I was awarded support group ESA with any problem after being told I should no of been called to the medical. I have a large social care package and effectively live in 24/7 supported living. I can not see how they would not award be enhanced PIP because of my support needs, I have a excellent support manager. I am also on a CTO and have a social services appointee. I am not worried at all about the PIP process. I know I have more them enough evidence.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I thought I’d pop back and share a few thoughts with you. Sometime back I posted a very general help question and this is part of the result

Since that time my friend has been awarded standard rate care via a paper based assessment. We are going to MR. I received a phone call this morning asking to speak to my GF She wasn’t in so we will phone them back tomorrow so we’ll be prepared

We are preparing for a Tribunal in case we have to go there. While trawling for information I came across a very interesting Upper Tier Tribunal case concerning epilepsy but which could quite easily be applied to those with mental.

Rather than just give you a cold reference I’m including part of any submission we might send to a Tribunal. Hopefully some members will get it to work in theirsubmissions
    1. Preparing food

I was awarded 2 points for this activity I believe I should have been awarded 4 points for the needing supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal.

The DM was wrong in not taking CPIP/15992016 into account where a panel of upper Tribunal judges looked at the issues of safety and supervision, after conflicting decisions were made by individual upper tribunal judges.

On 9th March, 2017 however, the panel of Upper Tribunal judges rejected the DWP's 50% rule. Instead the panel held that the decision maker should look at whether there is a real possibility that harm might occur and also at how great the harm might be. The greater the potential harm, the less likely it needs to be that it would happen on any specific occasion. I will show that I satisfy that decision.

As a direct result of my bipolar I have problems in motivating myself in preparing food and can be a danger to myself. On that grounds alone I believe I have satisfied the 'supervision and assistance.' criteria. But I will submit more detail.

I'll not attempt a cooked meal because I haven't the energy or the concentration to carry out the task. Some of which may be down to bipolar and some to the psychosis depression I suffer, both of which seem to run side by side. I have the typical symptoms of psychosis, which according to the NHS, include fatigue, changes in appetite, been unable to concentrate and been indecisive. All of which I maintain leads to a potential danger to me. In his written letter to you my consultant has confirmed this diagnosis. Again this condition highlights the danger I can encounter when preparing and/or cooking food.

I have already stated in my original submission to you that when it comes to five o'clock my energy begins to drain and by seven I am completely finished for the day. Because I am so drained I really can't concentrate on what I am doing. I also believe that time span is sufficient to cover the 'most of the time' clause

I also stated that I have left saucepans unattended and went off to do something else or just have a rest and when I came back the saucepans had boiled dry and the bottoms completely destroyed.

While I have been sectioned three times in the past while having a manic episode I do have regular bouts of hyper mania but not that sever that I need hospitalisation. The hyper mania cause me not to exercise caution: I can start one thing, cooking, and leave it to do something else, or perhaps sit down and watch tv.

Out of date chicken and other food has been found in my fridge and if cooked could have lead to substantial danger.

I would remind you that: 'At paragraph 66, the Upper Tribunal also stated that they agreed with Judge Jacobs when he found the following:
    “18. As I understand it, the judge is asking whether the risk that can be taken into account for preparing food or planning and following a journey must be a risk specifically related to that activity. The answer is: no. A risk that gives rise to a need for supervision need not be a risk that is unique to a particular activity or to the activities in Schedule 1 generally. It is sufficient if it is a general risk, even one that applies when the claimant is doing nothing, provided that the requirements of a particular descriptor are satisfied.'

I submit I have satisfied CPIP/15992016 that the decision of 'a risk that gives rise to a need for supervision need not be a risk that is unique to a particular activity or to the activities in Schedule 1 generally. It is sufficient if it is a general risk,'

On those grounds I submit the original DM was wrong in his approach and I should be awarded 4 points for the preparing of food descriptor.

I’m posting in the hope that the idea will help somewhere. At the same time your input would be very welcome

Kevin
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I can't answer your question, but are you sure you mean hyper mania, which would be really, really high? Or do you mean hypomania, which means a bit high but not full on mania? You seem to be describing hypo not hyper. (I have bipolar and get hypomania).
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well spotted . :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family