Boiler and hot water question

Options
I've just bought my first house recently it's about 8 years old but i've noticed that the hot water tap constantly runs hot and takes seconds to get scalding. I've even turned the hot water off on the thermostat but it's not made a difference.

I don't think it's supposed to do this? Or am i stupid and it's supposed to be like this?? I'm getting a bit fed up of burning my fingers!

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2017 at 4:04PM
    Options
    No one here has a crystal ball, so a bit more information is required for example what kind of water heating system have you got, electric immersion, condensing gas or oil boiler or other type of boiler or maybe just a kettle?

Does the thermostat control the water heating or the central heating system?
  • laurenbongo
    Options
    Hi i'm sorry i meant it when i said it's my first house, i literally don't know what i'm doing. I'm so overwhelmed.

The house is 3 storey and there is a gas boiler on the lowest floor and there's a hot water tank on the floor above that. There's a thermostat thing below the boiler that has hot water and heating buttons on either side. The hot water is turned off on this panel.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure there is not a immersion heater turner on in the airing cupboard.
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The immerser on the hot water tank may be on. This is basically an electric heating element that can heat you want without the need to trun the heating/boiler on. Check near the tank or boiler for a switch that may have hot water printed on it or a neon. If this is on turn it off.
  • Alex1983
    Options
    Google immersion heater and have a look at your tank to find it, follow the cable back to a switch and make sure it’s off.
  • laurenbongo
    Options
    There is a switch on the wall near it I'm assuming it's that? It just has a label that says water heater on it. I switch that off and then it'll turn off? Then it'll come on when it's programmed to like with the heating?
  • Alex1983
    Options
    No, that’s a electrical back up.

The programmer downstairs controls the gas boiler, you will need to set the programmer for the times you want the hot water on. Most people will have it something like 6-8am and 4-6pm.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The immersion heater is a back up (when the boiler is not working), so most of the time this should be turned off.

The boiler should heat the water in the hot water tank according the timer and how you have set it.

Our boiler also has a dial on the side where you can control the temperature of the water in the tank, but if your immersion heater has been on constant then I wouldn't mess with the tank for now and see if things improve. If the water is still coming out really hot then you may want to see if you can find the thermostat on the tank and turn this down (this controls how hot the boiler makes the water in the hot water tank).

Worst case, sign up for some sort of boiler cover and when the guy comes out to service your boiler quiz him about your system and how you can change things. Normally the engineers are happy to explain things to you.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you post a picture of the switch? You will have to use a hosting site like tinypic and post the link with a space or two. I suspect though that it will just be a fused FSO (Fused Socket Outlet) and will not turn on with the heating programmer. If you have a boiler that heats the hot water, you should use that in preference to the electric immersion heater which will be more expensive. Did the previous occupiers not leave you with instruction manuals?
  • laurenbongo
    Options
    Ok then, i just couldn't find anything on the tank that has a dial. Which is why i'm so confused with why it's so hot. The water has been turned off on the programmer for about 3 weeks now. I'll have to have another look in it. As i'm assuming if it's constantly on the bills are going to be through the roof. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure