Boiler Cover Advice

Options
I have has enough of British Gas Boiler cover seams it gets more expensive every year, and I have finally had to call them out today to be told it will be a 3 day wait, Ive been with them for 5 years and as yet never called them out.

I have therefore decided once they have repaired my boiler I will be looking for a new company to provide my service. In my searching I have come across homeemergency247.com. There prices are a hell of a lot better than British Gas and seam to be the cheapest around. Having learnt from my error in the past of choosing the cheapest company I am wondering if any one has used them before and can provide and recommendations on them or issues they have suffered, to help me in deciding to use them or not.

Any advise would be gratefully received :j

Comments

• sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Personally i think these services are a complete waste of time, and that you youd be better off just using a local gas safe engineer.
    Ask your friends and family, or even for recommendations on facebook.
    Just put the money you were spending with BG into a pot, and just draw from it to cover repairs and anual health check.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Home Emergency have a poor reputation here.

You'd do far better to

* open a savings acount and pay in each month whatever you were previously paying BG. It will mount up, including earning some interest.

* find a reliable independent local boiler engineer. Pay him £60 each year to service your boiler. Or every two years.

* if your boiler breaks down, call him up and get him to fix it. Pay him from your new savings account.

* after 2 years, use the extra cash in the account to treat yourself to a weekend away.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use to think the same..................see how much it costs to use the service of a leak detection team. That's if you can get one around.

Ohh and 24/7 are about as bad as you can get from reading forums and TrustPilot!!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Home Emergency have a poor reputation here.

You'd do far better to

* open a savings acount and pay in each month whatever you were previously paying BG. It will mount up, including earning some interest.

* find a reliable independent local boiler engineer. Pay him £60 each year to service your boiler. Or every two years.

* if your boiler breaks down, call him up and get him to fix it. Pay him from your new savings account.

* after 2 years, use the extra cash in the account to treat yourself to a weekend away.

Will your Heating Engineer come out on Christmas Day ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For the right money, I''m sure he would.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Nearly all these firms, offering emergency boiler cover, do not have their own plumbers but have lists of local tradesmen who have signed up to the firm.

According to most of the reports the service they offer is abysmal and they have 'inventive' excuses to extract more money from you before they will even look at a job.

With some their Modus operandi borders on illegality, or is illegal. However as long as they get their monthly payments from thousands of clients
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure