Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I enjoyed volunteering today although I had to blow my nose quietly a few times (and not when the teacher was talking :rotfl:).

I've spent over five hours this afternoon doing two job applications! Neither are for many hours and one is temporary, but some money is better than none and it would be good work experience. We had to spend £20 of my clothes horse money on ink to print them out :( but it will be worth it if I get one of the jobs :). Anyway they're all ready to post tomorrow so fingers crossed I'll at least get an interview.

I'm so tired now I feel quite weird and my tummy feels all strange (stress). DH has offered to cook so I can calm down and relax :rotfl:.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done on the job applications :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    You could email the complaint?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 15 November 2018 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Just back from visiting my friend (in her lovely warm house:j). After lots of discussion it looked as if a good plan would be for me or OH to drive her brother home in his car, leave brother and car and come back on the train. My friend can't drive. She insists on paying the fare for whichever of us does it. Only snag with that is that her brother knows me (when he actually recognises me that is ) and seems relaxed in my company. He doesn't know OH and OH can be a bit brusque and hasn't much empathy with people:eek:. He might inadvertently upset my friend's brother should he have a bad time during the journey. So although OH would enjoy doing the driving more than I probably would I thought it might be best if it were me doing it.

We then thought it would be better if OH and I both go, OH to drive and me to sit with John (brother), chat to him and try to keep him occupied and calm. I think just one person doing that and concentrating on the driving for several hours would find it a bit much, otherwise I'd do it by myself. John can get very agitated:eek:

Eventually my friend decided that she should go too so she could settle her brother back in at his home, stay a few days and try to organise something with the GP. Her own GP here had an informal chat the other day, he came to the funeral actually, and told her that John shouldn't be driving and should have his own GP take a look at him as soon as possible. She doubted he would remember to see the GP if left to his own devices. Looks as if OH is going to drive them in John's car, no need for me too in that scenario:j, probably stay overnight as it's a long trip and then come home on the train next day.

I'm quite relieved I won't be needed actually and OH is happy about doing it. I'll have the house to myself for the best part of 2 days and a whole night:j. I shall definitely have the heating on, maybe not 24/7 but a lot :rotfl:. Now I need to sort out train times etc for him and maybe book tickets online to get a bargain. They plan to go on Monday.
  • beanielou
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan carbootcrazy :)

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Well done on phoning SC:T, Did they agree to you dropping your monthly payment? Maybe you phoned them about something else but the last time you and I chatted on here about the situation you were thinking of phoning them after your November payday if I remember correctly. They are pretty understanding when people have to lower their payments, in my experience. They're aware that life has a nasty habit of throwing problems our way.
    Thanks, yes I was phoning them to tell them I needed to drop my payment and they were fine,I was going to wait until the end of November but was getting so stressed out about it I decided to do it now,nothing is going to change between now and then so why wait:)
    Oops forgot to say well done on your Fand Fs,that's such a good outcome :)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Just back from visiting my friend (in her lovely warm house:j). After lots of discussion it looked as if a good plan would be for me or OH to drive her brother home in his car, leave brother and car and come back on the train. My friend can't drive. She insists on paying the fare for whichever of us does it. Only snag with that is that her brother knows me (when he actually recognises me that is ) and seems relaxed in my company. He doesn't know OH and OH can be a bit brusque and hasn't much empathy with people:eek:. He might inadvertently upset my friend's brother should he have a bad time during the journey. So although OH would enjoy doing the driving more than I probably would I thought it might be best if it were me doing it.

We then thought it would be better if OH and I both go, OH to drive and me to sit with John (brother), chat to him and try to keep him occupied and calm. I think just one person doing that and concentrating on the driving for several hours would find it a bit much, otherwise I'd do it by myself. John can get very agitated:eek:

Eventually my friend decided that she should go too so she could settle her brother back in at his home, stay a few days and try to organise something with the GP. Her own GP here had an informal chat the other day, he came to the funeral actually, and told her that John shouldn't be driving and should have his own GP take a look at him as soon as possible. Looks as if OH will drive them in John's car, no need for me too in that scenario:j, probably stay overnight as it's a long trip and then come home on the train next day.

OH is happy about doing it and I'll have the house to myself for the best part of 2 days and a whole night:j. I shall definitely have the heating on, maybe not 24/7 but a lot :rotfl:. Now I need to sort out train times etc for him and maybe book tickets online to get a bargain. They plan to go on Monday.

That sounds like a brilliant and well thought out solution Carboot, well done :T. Problem solved :T.

Poor John I do feel sorry for him though, it must be frightening to be all confused :(.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I enjoyed volunteering today although I had to blow my nose quietly a few times (and not when the teacher was talking :rotfl:).

I've spent over five hours this afternoon doing two job applications! Neither are for many hours and one is temporary, but some money is better than none and it would be good work experience. We had to spend £20 of my clothes horse money on ink to print them out :( but it will be worth it if I get one of the jobs :). Anyway they're all ready to post tomorrow so fingers crossed I'll at least get an interview.

I'm so tired now I feel quite weird and my tummy feels all strange (stress). DH has offered to cook so I can calm down and relax :rotfl:.
    Well done on the job applications,hopefully something will come of them, my tummy always plays up when I'm stressed,I also get the shakes whenever I have to deal with any DMP related things hence my reluctance to phone SC,I'm glad I've done it now though I just have to hope my creditors aren't too unhappy with the situation but just in case I've unplugged the phone :rotfl:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Well done on the job applications :)

Thanks Beanie: :). I don't know whether I'll be pleased or petrified if I get one of them, because it's 25 years since I had a proper job :o.

Pleased I think because I want the money, but still petrified _pale__pale_
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Well done on the job applications,hopefully something will come of them, my tummy always plays up when I'm stressed,I also get the shakes whenever I have to deal with any DMP related things hence my reluctance to phone SC,I'm glad I've done it now though I just have to hope my creditors aren't too unhappy with the situation but just in case I've unplugged the phone :rotfl:

Thanks OBL :). I only get a funny tummy if I'm really really stressed, but I'm glad I've done it. I think :o.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure