PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Has my house foundation sank? Pics included

Options
2»

Comments

• stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would say it's the house wall that's dropped and the garden wall, which is probably retaining some earth, has moved over to be out of plumb.
  • Smi1er
    Smi1er Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    Why hasn't the vendor reported that to their insurance company and let them deal with it?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That looks like a toilet/cloakroom window so could be small room.
  • arlybarly
    Options
    Thanks for the replies yet again everyone!

Contacted the EA and they have sent off part of the report to the vendor to have it looked at..
    I have done a rough sketch as i didnt take better pictures

Thanks again

b4f574.jpg
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2018 at 7:04PM
    Options
    Differential movement where there are two separate walls, not tied in.

I'd have a structural engineer look at it. Hopefully the fix is probably cheaper than any insurance claim. It's interesting that it's so limited. I wouldn't be overtly concerned by it, it looks like the problem is more to do with the boundary wall, but everything needs looking at when you're buying.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • arlybarly
    Options
    Ive sent part of the report to the estate agent and they have forward it onto the seller now... hopefully i will get a reply on Monday..

Really dont want to let this house go as its perfect for me.. but dont want to let myself in for problems in the future

Thanks again everyone for replying.. and if anyone else has any ideas they would be appreciated..👌
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 23 September 2018 at 8:30PM
    Options
    arlybarly wrote: »

The part effected is below the side veranda/extension which is only visible from next door (where the green wheely bin is)
    It looks like the extension has stayed put but the ground under that corner has sunk along with the wall, if so its likely to only need remedial work of a better foundation under that corner.
    It might be worth getting the foundations of the extension checked to make sure they are adequate.
  • arlybarly
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I went back and took a few more pics today...
    2sb96pv.jpg
    4qn97k.jpg

294nvkp.jpg
    From what i have seen, i have noticed that there is no drainage in the lower section as pictured where the air brick is. My theory is that due to no drainage in an enclosed area , the rainwater has seeped through and obviouslt samaged the footing of the dwarf wall. This is obvious as the dwarf wall has sunk and leaning..

On the other hand the seller is getting a structual engineer to investigate
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What troubles me, is it is not just the garden wall that has sunk, the very corner of the extension has done so and the corner bricks are unsuported.

The house is on a slope. My guess is the foundations are not deep enough, and the ground underneath that corner has slipped down the hill.

Very minimum of underpinning that corner, possibly more of the front of the house or a retaining wall built to stop the garden sliding down the hill.

It won't be an insurance claim, you will have to factor in paying for it if you buy the house. Make sure the price you pay reflects that. any other buyer will find the same thing.

Once put right there is no reason to worry.
  • arlybarly
    Options
    Thanks for the reply ProDave

So do you think its a big fix? Maybe just digging out the side, fill with a strong mix of concrete ? Install a drain ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure