Sainsburys and Argos

Options
My local Sainsburys are in the process of totally ruining their store by creating an Argos outlet inside. As it's taking up quite a chunk of floor space you can already see lots of the lines disappearing from the shelves as everything else is shoe-horned in to the leftover space to make room.

It used to be one of the nicer Sainsburys stores I've shopped in with nice open, wide aisles and a good selection of items but now it just looks terrible. I can see this having a real negative effect on their current level of customers, especially with the likes of Aldi/Lidl within a stones throw. What makes things worse is there is already an Argos store just up the road.

I can understand why they're doing but I'm not sure it will have the desired effect they're looking for.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 April 2018 at 4:50PM
    Options
    They did the same in one of the Sainsburys local to me, but they don't seem to have reduced their core food lines, well not that I've noticed anyway. What they seem to have done is reduce or even eliminate their electricals, toys and home sections instead. Which I suppose makes sense if Argos sell similar items.

At the rate they are springing up, I would say it's probably having the exact desired effect they want. Especially if that is a cost saving effect! What the long term effect is may not be as positive.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Haven!!!8217;t noticed a difference in my local one or my mother in laws ones and they have been like it a while
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Argos sales are doing very well since they launched into sainsburys stores.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    What makes things worse is there is already an Argos store just up the road.

I suspect they will be closing the Argos store just up the road.

Their model seems to be...

Where there is a large Sainsbury and an Argos near each other, move the Argos into Sainsbury and close the standalone Argos.

I guess that provides a substantial saving in rent and rates.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Didn't think the Sainsbury's and Argos demographic would be the same ;)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »

Where there is a large Sainsbury and an Argos near each other, move the Argos into Sainsbury and close the standalone Argos.

Yes that's what happened in the town near me, had 2 stores, 1 out of town and 1 in the centre which closed and was built inside the nearest Sainsbury's.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Think yourself lucky it's only an Argos - we got and Argos and a Habitat in ours (and the whole Arcadia group in the local Tesco)

It's a result of the pre-crash race for space in the supermarkets who now have more space than they know what to do with and leaves us with (even more) empty units on retail parks
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Didn't think the Sainsbury's and Argos demographic would be the same ;)

Why?

I shop in both, and particularly like being able to pick up Sainsbury's home goods from Argos.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    We now have a Argos store in our Sainsburys in Washington ,they have also closed the stand alone Argos store so as said above saving a lot of rent/electricity etc.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2018 at 8:21PM
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »

That'll probably make sense.

Unfortunately that means all the people who shop in that particular Argos and the Asda further up will now be frequenting Sainsburys, definite step in the wrong direction ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure