Children with a Birthday around Christmas....

Options

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 20 December 2016 at 1:50PM
    Options
    My cousin was born on 23rd December. When he was at school he used to celebrate his birthday on 23rd June, so he could have a party with his friends.

Within the family, we were always careful to make sure he got a separate gift and card, in birthday wrapping paper, rather than a joint one.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My cousin is a Christmas Day baby and his sister is the 29th of Dec (my aunt has wonderful timing lol) they both had parties in the summer for their birthdays so that their friends could come over, they got a cake ect

My cousin is 26 this year and for the last 5 years he has ordered a curry for Christmas dinner. His argument is that if everyone else can have take away on their birthday then why can't he.

The morning in my aunts house is all about his birthday so they have decorations up and everyone makes a fuss then after dinner they do the Christmas stuff
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Irisis
    Irisis Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I think having a party a week or two before is a wonderful idea. Word to the wise: we've found that people are always extremely busy during December so get the invites out as early as you possibly can!

Some things you can't do anything about - some family members don't really bother with our daughter's December birthday and give her two presents at Christmas instead. Honestly we would just rather they wish her a happy birthday and maybe give her a card on her actual birthday rather than giving her a present later in the month at the same time as Christmas, but it's not worth having a row over. Make the most of it I say and big up how special they are to be born at everyone's favourite time of the year :)
  • MummyD
    MummyD Posts: 142 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter had her birthday on Monday (19th December). She always has a birthday party and we usually do it the last weekend of school term (this year hers was on 18th) or the weekend before. Definitely agree with Irisis - we booked her party this year in early October and even then could't get our first choice of date!
    She's not had any joint presents yet - but then she's still young and most of her gift requests are books and stationery which are relatively inexpensive!
  • mumblecrumble
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks after Xmas, not as close as others on here. But I wanted to add that all the efforts my parents and now husband go to to keep them separate and real are so appreciated. Especially as my sister has a June birthday....

Suggest, as you said, birthday weekend before or even weekend after might be good. Just celebrate as you would n at any time of year. I had lots of pizza and watch a film parties as it's too old to be outside. For a few years my treat was Panto with family (which my mum (cleverly) pointed out was. Not on in June when my sisters birthday was...

My fave party treat was a family trip for Chinese to a real restaurant.... In fact... It's where we're. Going next week for my 36th birthday woohoo!
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My daugjter's birthday is Dec 29th. We've always made sure that the day is special for her and nobody has ever just got her one present. This year she's having a party and we've scheduled it for Jan 8th to keep it well away fromChristmas and New Year.
  • fierystormcloud
    Options
    If my birthday was around Christmas, and people gave me joint gifts or a card with happy Christmas and happy birthday in the same card, I would do the same as them, even if their birthday was June. One card, one present 'happy birthday and happy Christmas' in the one card. If they looked perplexed, and said 'my birthday is June,' I would say 'yeah but this is what you do to me, one present and card to cover both, so I didn't think you'd mind if I did the same to you.'

Utter cheek!
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Mine is between xmas and new year - as a child I rarely had parties, but neither did my brother who is mid year - !!! both were in school holidays and people were unavailable. But we always did something as a family on my birthday - cinema, theatre, etc, age appropriate. I was a shy child so this was just fine for me. The one thing I did hate was that my younger brother got presents on my birthday so that he wouldn't feel left out, and i often got presents split between christmas and my birthday (not from my parents) - I completely understood the latter - it's an expensive time and I was grateful to get any gifts, but it did stick in my craw when people would apologise for doing that and then hand something to my brother, who had just had a pile of stuff at christmas, I didn't really care if he felt a little left out - It was my birthday :) - so, don't do that!
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    Lucyxx wrote: »
    . I hate them watching me be the sole person unwrapping them, I don't know how people who have birthdays on non Christmas days handle it :rotfl:

I'm the 23rd and used to ask if I could wait two days you open my presents so that everyone else was doing it at the same time :rotfl:
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My friend's brother has a Christmas day birthday and his birthday is celebrated on the anniversary of day he was christened instead. So like a half-birthday but the date has some meaning rather than being selected for convenience.

My birthday is in the first half of January and my parents offered me a half birthday instead, as I said I wished it was in June like an Auntie's or July like a grandparent's. Despite wishing my birthday wasn't where it is, it didn't feel right so I declined. There are people with birthdays closer to it than me after all.

Anyway, I think it's important for the child to decide if they want a half-birthday if they're old enough to do so.

One present and one card / it looking as though someone has re-gifted something unwanted does get frustrating though. If someone does one present these days I estimate how much I think the person spent on it and split that between Christmas and their birthday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure