We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

not had many frogs spawning this year, anyone else ?

Options

Comments

• balustrada
    balustrada Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The first clump of spawn appeared in my pond on 4 March. There were 12 - 13 clumps the following day and 18 - 20 clumps the day after and a total of around 25 clumps two days later.

This spawning pattern was more or less the same as last year except last year's first clump didn't appear until 23 March.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have a single frog :rotfl:

Last year we started with a single frog and ended up with a mummy, daddy and baby frog family :D but nothing this year so far other than Bridget the singleton frog!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    my tadpoles are all hatching, all I can see is a mass of wriggly things, looks like my pond is starting to come alive.
    My fish are going to have a feast
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had 100s of tadpoles in my pond until yesterday, when they disappeared!! Not one left. No sign of them having died. Have dredged bottom of pond a bit and not found any deceased ones. They've just gone! I assume they've been eaten. There are a few frogs in the pond. Can they really eat hundreds of tadpoles?!
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 688 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    did the birds find them ?, blackbirds eat them here, or they would if I had had any
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    still desperately trying to attract some kind of amphibian to my pond - 3 years and nothing yet :-(

Are you sure?

I have a few frogs and the occasional toad, but have always had newts (they even bred last year).

However, I need to sit and stare closely at the pond to even catch sight of the newts. If I sit on the edge of the pond for 30 minutes about 5 times I may only see them once for a few seconds.

If you have quite a few plants and lots of hiding spaces it might be worth staking out the pond for a bit. :)
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No pond but some old railway sleepers in my garden have always had resident frogs under them for years and the dog found once found a baby newt (rescued before any harm came to it)
    However, no sign of the resident frogs this year so far - first time in 8 years - and the snail population is making the most of it...:(
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a goldfish pond, and quite frankly that's only what I want. IF and when they mate, I don't want the fish fry in danger by any resident frogs!
    Had the pond cleaned out some years ago, several frogs and newts (common) were collected - I relocated them to a nice new home.

OP's right though, last year caught pairs of frogs entwined, a couple of times, and several clumps of spawn, whereas this year only one large clump, mostly relocated, and one frog and one newt (at least two small newts though still in the pond.
    At one time, there used to be umpteen water-boat-men on the pond, no more.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My pond has fish, frogs and newts. The frog spawn hatched but no idea if any have survived. The water is clear and in addition to the aquatic plants I leave some algae around the sides of the pond to allow hiding places. A couple of days ago I saw a smooth newt come up to the surface and nick some of the flake I had just thrown in. Cheeky little thing.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Flake!! Sounds expensive. I buy large 10kg bags of floating sticks - no waste, I buy one a year - have about three dozen fish from four to ten inches!
    HTHs
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family