MSE News: Advertised broadband speed claims are 'false'

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Many consumers will be left frustrated as the difference in advertised and actual broadband speed has grown, says Ofcom ..."

Comments

• KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have always understood what "up to" meant and, living a long way from the exchange, knew I would get nowhere near it. The estimates of actual speed that the BT checker (which most ISPs use before you sign up) gives are usually very pessimistic as well, so you normally get MORE than this. I'm lucky because Fibre to the Cabinet came to my village a few months ago, so I now get around 37Mb on an "up to" 40Mb service.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    "Many consumers will be left frustrated as the difference in advertised and actual broadband speed has grown, says Ofcom
    A complete non-story IMO.

More people are taking the upto 20Mbps packages so there is far more scope to miss out on getting the headline speed. Many lines which can get 8Mbps on ADSL won't get anywhere near 20Mbps on ADSL2+. The theoretical 24Mbps possible on ADSL2+ is virtually never achieved and I think some packages are sold as upto 24Mbps.

In fact the average speeds achieved have consistently risen since the first survey.
  • neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'd all love my speed. We're meant to get up to 10mb I think it is and we get a maximum of 600kbps :D Luckily OH's work pays for it so we're not losing money. Like us, it just depends how close to the exchange point you are. We are miles from one so hense we get carp speed.

Hopefully it'll speed up when the southwest get the apparently internet boost (not holding my breath though)
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree this is a complete non-story. Firstly, I can't think of any other way to describe it other than 'up to'. It's not exactly complex lawyer-speak; if you can't understand 'up to' doesn't mean 'you will get' then I'm not sure you should be allowed out on your own.

Secondly, most companies do actually tell you what you'll really be likely to get. I'm with O2 and prior to signing up to their "up to 20MB" package they ran a speed check and told me I'd get 4-5MB. And I do.
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • lininjim
    lininjim Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    We signed up to o2 in the days when they offered an "up to 8mb" package as we knew we wouldn't get enough for the "up to 24mb" alternative.
    They advised us we would get around 4mb against BT's proposed 1.5mb, we actually get 6mb.

As in all things it pays to do your research first, if you go blindly in then you will certainly be surprised or disappointed by your results.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We're meant to get up to 10mb I think it is and we get a maximum of 600kbps
    You are getting "up to 10mb". That's the point!
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    Thing is, people aren't getting the message. How many people - thanks in part to the recession - pop up on here asking whether they should change from 20Mbps cable broadband to 20Mbps Sky broadband believing they're equivalent and that the latter will perform similarly to the former, when Sky will only be faster in perhaps 1% of cases?

I genuinely think that a fair chunk of people think the "up to" means that everyone will get 20Mbps at least some of the time.
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A lot of ADSL providers now only advertise an up to 20Mbps speed with no different packages for different speeds. Its fairly common knowledge that the majority of customers wont get anywhere near that.

We get about 5Mbps on our up to 20 Mbps package from sky. Which incidentally is no slower than what virgin media would throttle our 20Mbps connection to once we attempted to use it
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    davethorp wrote: »
    We get about 5Mbps on our up to 20 Mbps package from sky. Which incidentally is no slower than what virgin media would throttle our 20Mbps connection to once we attempted to use it
    Once you exceeded 7GB between 9am and 3pm and/or 3.5GB between 4pm and 9pm. If you think you would regularly exceed those limits take 50Mbps instead as there is no downstream STM on that. P2P and NNTP are throttled though on all products from 5pm til midnight.
  • dodger1
    dodger1 Posts: 4,579 Forumite
    Options
    I actually don't think the adverts are misleading. The words "up to" mean precisely that, somewhere between slow and the maximum advertised. It's just the same as shop sales when they state "up to 50% off". Surely people don't think that everything is actually 50% off. Now if the maximum advertised figure isn't obtainable then that's a different matter.
    It's someone else's fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport