HP envy 4527 printer, numerous problems

Options
hoping you knowledgeable lot can help before I give up on this printer!

got it in April, worked fine with my acer laptop/win10 no issues at all. 2 months ago it refused to print in colour any more. I hadn't changed any settings & online info suggests there's an incompatibility with a windows10 update & lots of HP printers having the same issue. any lengthy resolution from HP lasts only a few days until it reverts to same issue.

I've still got that problem, plus now it keeps going offline & I can't get it back unless I uninstall & reinstall. printer shows it's connected ok to Wi-Fi & it's right next to our fibre router. reinstalled yesterday with download from HP site so should be latest drivers etc.

HP support forums are awash with hundreds of similar complaints & my post from yesterday asking for help has actually been deleted by HP & they've messaged me to say please call them for support!

i'm having to reinstall the printer nearly every day now & really need some help if possible :) would connecting to the laptop by cable help at all? there only seems to be 1 connection on the printer, small square port, so no idea what cable i'd need.

there was a post from January on here for a different model with similar issues & links were posted that users had found helpful, was hoping it might get to a useful area on HP but links are no longer working unfortunately as they just time out.

i'm not overly techie so simple speak required in any replies please :o , many thanks

Comments

• Silvester89
    Options
    I work in a Technical Support environment, admittedly in management rather than on the phones (so my Technical knowledge is fading a little) and as you say, there seems to be a lot of problems popping up with HP printers on Windows 10 lately.

The issues seem to be caused by a variety of things ranging from windows updates to conflicting software. Making it difficult to fix the problem.

I've heard of some people resolving some of these issues by installing earlier versions of the drivers.

Have you tried calling HP directly? I'd personally give them a try and see if they can offer a permanent fix to the problem. If they can't, I'd have a chat with the retailer and see what they can suggest.

It's a bit of a shame really - I've always liked HP stuff, but over the last few months they've had some real issues with their printers and PC's when running with Windows 10.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    it's connected ok to Wi-Fi & it's right next to our fibre router.

Uninstall the printer
    Turn off wifi on the printer.
    Connect it to your router using an ethernet cable

Install the printer

Dont worry, your devices can still print "wirelessly" to it
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use an HP printer and W10, without any problems.

According to the specs I can see online, the 4527 has a USB connector not Ethernet. If possible, use that rather than wireless. The procedure is to obtain the cable, uninstall the printer completely, then reinstall using the usb connector.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    has a USB connector not Ethernet. .

Oops - my bad :o
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thank you! next question, it's my Wi-Fi extender that the printer is next to (perhaps this is part of the issue as it's moved into this room recently? extender has good signal strength & our mobiles use it without any problems. laptop was in the lounge where the main router was previously, still using wi-fi). it's a tp-link TL-WA850RE with an Ethernet port & the port on the printer is a small square, usb-b? I can't find a specific cable for this so will it be a standard Ethernet cable & then an adapter for Ethernet to usb?
    many thanks
  • Imranjaffery
    Options
    I also bought HP 3D printers online and facing many issues. Pathetic experience.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I also bought HP 3D printers online and facing many issues. Pathetic experience.

Can we keep to one technology per thread, pls.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2019 at 1:06AM
    Options
    This is the USB cable you need to connect your printer to the router: -
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH11KIK

- but we will need to know the make and model of your router: does it have a USB port?

Completely switch off, unplug and uninstall the printer as it is now from your PC and any/all devices connected. Plug in the mains cable, connect the USB cable to the router USB port if it has one, switch on and let Windows find the latest drivers. You can reconnect other PC's and devices (eg smartphones, tablets) to the network via "Add Printer".
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74122508

I posted a link at the bottom, i had a similar problem and had to remove something else after, and it worked and have not had a problem since
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it continues please perform these steps to uninstall the printer drivers.
    In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
    Select your HP printer.
    Select Uninstall.
    In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
    In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
    Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
    Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
    Click on Drivers tab.
    Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
    Select OK.
    Remove all instances of the same.
    Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
    Close Devices and Printers.
    Restart the PC again.

There might be a rouge command still left behind, i tried this when i had similar issue and it sorted it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure